• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Unrealistic Outfit Abilities

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
First things first, let's toss the idea of "video game logic" out the window. With that taken care of, ever stop and think about how unrealistic the outfit capabilities are in BotW? Consider the Gerudo outfit. When you wear the whole outfit it gives Link a higher heat tolerance, which makes sense considering he is wearing a light material. But if that's all there is to it, how come having Link just wear his sheikah boxers doesn't have a similar effect? The Goron outfit is even worse- in a place so hot just being there makes you light on fire the only cooling solution is wearing a metal suit. If I didn't know the Gorons were rock eaters I would have guessed they were tricking Link into stuffing himself in their equivalent of an easy-bake oven. Is it just me, or is something just not quite right here :suspicious:?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I'd say that maybe there's something in the material of the Gerudo outfit that offers heat resistance somehow. They've always lived in the desert, they probably know how to outsmart it. I also want to say this for the fireproof armor, but my mind can't make that work.

The ability of the fireproof armor is to become a potbelly stove so clearly, you're containing the heat inside a self powered furnace which somehow keeps it away from your body. :goron: (this is an in-context goron, it's goron armor!)

The other ones have some 'realism' but not much, but magical properties of materials is referenced in the descriptions for a lot of them, so it's probably drawing more from alchemy or mythological reasoning than being straight up unrealistic. An explanation is better than no explanation.

The most unrealistic armor thing is why the Champion's tunic has superior defense to the Hylian tunic when it's literally a tshirt.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I think the vast majority of the clothes are enchanted. We see that sapphire has heat resistant properties, rubies have chill resistant properties, and diamonds resist Guardians, along with a couple other gemstones based on the jewelry. I think it’s safe to assume that these gemstones are partially woven into some clothes or something like that.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
First things first, let's toss the idea of "video game logic" out the window. With that taken care of, ever stop and think about how unrealistic the outfit capabilities are in BotW? Consider the Gerudo outfit. When you wear the whole outfit it gives Link a higher heat tolerance, which makes sense considering he is wearing a light material. But if that's all there is to it, how come having Link just wear his sheikah boxers doesn't have a similar effect? The Goron outfit is even worse- in a place so hot just being there makes you light on fire the only cooling solution is wearing a metal suit. If I didn't know the Gorons were rock eaters I would have guessed they were tricking Link into stuffing himself in their equivalent of an easy-bake oven. Is it just me, or is something just not quite right here :suspicious:?
I've said it before and will say it again, if Link gets heat exhausted in the desert without wearing cooler clothing, regardless of the fireproof armor being fireproof, it doesn't negate the high tempatures, and there are places on Death Mountain near lava where it is so hot the sheikah slate can no longer get a tempature reading. Link should be passing out from the heat. And if the fireproof armor is high tempature resistent, conversely it should work out in the desert. When I first went to the desert I wore the fireproof armor thinking it would counteract the heat – it seemed perfectly logical to me.

Mii

Mi
I thought the flame breaker set is made out of rocks, not metal?? Some rocks appeared to be fireproof... for the Gerudo set, I think it has the cooling effect because the outfit has sapphires as decorations, and sapphires have the power of ice (as explained in the game), also, I don’t think wearing just a pair of boxers can work in a place that is over forty degrees...

There’s lots of unrealistic things in the game about weather and armour.

Link can run around in his undies late at night without the cold being an issue. He also doesn’t get cold in the rain.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Why can link wear light lady clothing, and be desert heat resistance but he cannot run around in his undies to stay cool
That is an excellent question. When I was doing that shrine quest where you have to stand on the hot surface for a certain amount of time I had link wearing his sheikah boxers. Not that it actually helps any, but it seems like it should.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
So, it’s important to note that there’s a difference between heat proof and fire proof.

Fire is a physical object, not just a state of energy, so to protect yourself you are definitely going to need an actual barrier that the fire can’t get through. I mean, there’s a reason real world firefighters don’t jump into burning buildings wearing nothing but a pair of boxers and an oxygen tank.

Yes, Link should absolutely be boiling up in that armor, but it totally makes sense that the suit designed specifically for use in a fiery mountain range wouldn’t help much in a desert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom