• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

BotW 2 E3 trailer

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It looked nice and it was nice to see aspects of Breath of the Wild's gameplay returning. It's hard to say for sure what those are or what other aspects of the game are changing, since this was a trailer that offered little story or context.

It is disappointing to see that some of my fears about the game have come true. Zelda has been shunted into a closet, Ganon is back and cackling at people, and it will once again just be about Link stabbing him in the forehead, leading to no interesting change in the dynamic or the narrative. It feels very "traditional" so far.

Last edited:

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Saldy, there's no playable Zelda, not an M17+
But I liked the trailer tho, it might be a darker game.
Also what was it that Link passed through a solid??

Bill Trinen just went on record to say that the game has an official subtitle already but they decided not to reveal it because it'd give away some aspect of the story that they aren't ready to reveal yet.
I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. At this point, we really should know the basic plot of the game, especially if this particular aspect is something that would cause a 'go crazy' moment.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. At this point, we really should know the basic plot of the game, especially if this particular aspect is something that would cause a 'go crazy' moment.
It's still too far off. I think they did the right thing by not showing us much. Makes the wait much more bearable. They don't usually start going into their full marketing until a few months before launch anyway. So this will do for now.

I'm still thinking that there will be some underground exploration based on the first trailer. Traversing Hyrule itself, below Hyrule, and above Hyrule seems like an interesting concept. Link moving through the ground to go into the islands in the sky is a bit weird. Probably a power he gets from his arm. I'm thinking he'll probably lose one of his natural arms at the start of the game, and then acquires that new power.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Well given the 2022 release window, I think we'll see the game get a full reveal either at the Game Awards, or in a February 2022 Direct, and it will release sometime around the holiday season. That will be the moment where they bust the the lid on what the game has to offer, I guess.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
It's interesting to see a return to the sky. It seems like that Loftwing amiibo they are releasing with SSHD will have some relevance or function in BOTW2 and seems to indicate that they'll be back. They've put quite a few years into this one so I'm sure they've got much more to show between now and release - they just love dripping em out bit by bit.

Rinku

Suupa Saiya-jin
As far as the whole world output goes, i think we might get this Godzila vs Kong thingy .
You know, Zelda falls into the abyss, we follow and we find out a whole new world (a mix of Lorule and Skyward Sword isles) but with a sky atmosphere as well. dunno. hope dungeons are back though. Loved the concept of shrines but the divine beasts were a bit ... of a let down .

Last edited:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Uh, that was pretty obviously BotW Link. It looked like him, it's got the arm thing that Link has. We see Link use the arm in place of the Sheikah Slate to like, backwards stasis an object through time to bowl over some enemies.
That's one part the both confuses and intrigues me- what is the nature of the sheikah tech? When Link's hand is filled with that energy (magical or organic we don't know), it gives him the abilities of technology. Perhaps the functions of the Sheikah Slate are powers of the energy flowing through it, and not of the machinery itself. Whatever the case it does make you wonder what it is and what the limits of it's power are.

There are some things I noted about the areas that are in the sky (plus a boatload of speculation). In one picture when Link is on an island we see a square-ish gazebo structure, and their are other similar structures on the surrounding islands. Could it be that there is a gap between what happened to Zelda and the start of the game, long enough for people to begin building up there? In the scene where we see the close-up of Link's arm it appears that he is lying down, perhaps he needed time to rest and heal after his underground misadventure. Some more things about the islands- when Hyrule Castle is propelled out of the ground, it seems that the malice stuff is pushing it out. We see a lot of Malice spreading and corrupting in BotW, overflowing into Dark Beast Ganon. If this malice energy is building under Hyrule, it could be what it pushing chunks of land away from the ground and into the sky. We also don't know how widespread the effects are. The scene where Link "gloop-glops" through a solid surface takes place somewhere near the Thundra Plateau area (we can see those tall mushroom-like formations on the surface) and there's several island areas nearby. But in the area with the Stone Talus you can see the Dueling Peaks far in the distance, and not as many islands. Anyway this is a lot of what-ifs, but I'm excited to see what they actually do.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
After watching the full trailer closely this time, here's what stands out to me most

The zelda thing feels like a jebait and I dont really expect the plot to heavily involve saving zelda
Shiekah arm appears to be more functional as key items, so I'm expecting the game to be a lot more linear. Islands are easy to lock behind certain items, like the gravity elevator that they show off near the end. It definitely makes the verticality of this iteration of hyrule more of an optional direction to travel and less of an annoyance from what I can see.
Also link's hair is different in each clip so unless hes wearing different outfits that means you can style links hair

Rinku

Suupa Saiya-jin
A bit out of discussion, but I noticed something about that Flame thrower attachment Link has on his wooden shield.

Seems too similar with the dragon head statues in Thunder Ruins or Zonai ruins. This encourages the Zonai theory I think. Or at least some connection with the said item.

Posting a picture as well.zonai.jpg

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
This trailer was super disappointing. We’ve waited 2 years, and all they give us are a slight setting change, a few new abilities and a release year I could of told you before the direct.

This does nothing to answer my questions about the game as a whole. What’s different from a design philosophy standpoint from BotW? What are they doing to address the various problems with the first game?

Is weapon durability still a thing? Sure it looks like it might be but there’s no actual confirmation either way. What about rain? Shrines? Are there actual dungeons? Is there an actual item system?

The entire Zelda segment at E3 was downright pathetic, and this was just the icing on the cake.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
1623922618440.png
here we can see a linear path, so I'm pretty sure some of the islands will be dungeons of some sort
1623924932934.png
Here the tree and architecture is identical to that of the islands, not to mention the clouds at eye level. So this is a dungeon boss possibly? The icon in its middle looks like a shiekah power up, so I could see it being a "kill a boss get their power" type thing

The stone talus cut shows no islands in the sky, so I wonder if it's just a specific area or if it triggers partway through the game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom