• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will SS Be Better the TP?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If SS is longer than TP, most definitely. Honestly, TP can be 100% within a day, it can be Final Bossed within 13 hours.

That's a really tough question to answer at this stage. I think it will come down to if people prefer the Motion-Plus controls over the more traditional style (haven't played the Wii version of TP, so not sure how that works). Also, I'm not a huge fan of the side-kick walking you through the game by hand. If they play that down a bit, I'll love it more already.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Personally, I think this game will fail to live up to my personal expectations of a sequel to the series. I really dislike the idea of returning to cell-shading right after showing the potential of the realistic graphics shown in TP.
Hopefully, they will make up for this major dissapointment by having a revolutionary storyline and gameplay.

All we can put is items and graphics.
Already, SS has better graphics than TP. They're more appealing to look at and not so... grotesque. TP was too shaded, glossy, and just flatout PS3 style. It didn't feel like Zelda.
Items are a little more innovated in SS, but there was only the bug that could get bombs and rupees. It's interesting, to say the least. TP items are poorly constructed. That rod of control? You only use it once. Sure, there's a few secrets for it, but it only leads to rupees. Gale Boomerang? Twice. Hookshot and Bow & Arrow had been used throughout the whole series basically, so those were fortunately used more. In the SS trailer, we saw the bug used multiple times. Once in the fire temple, and once in the field.

M

Mr.Mastersword

Maybe it's just because i got into TP, but I think that SS will be just as good. I mean its Zelda, how can it not be good. TP may be better control wise, but story wise they look equally as cool.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
The story, the wii motion plus and other new ideas could make this as popular and almost or more legendary then Oot...

I so hope that that is the case! OoT was, in my opinion, an AMAZING game. It had that total Zelda feel to it. If SS is equally or more epic, I will DIE from pure amazement!

I don't really know if I have enough knowledge of the game to comment on is Skyward Sword will be better than Twilight Princess. Firstly, I'd like to say that as far as I know, I am one of the few members that I can think of that actually like Twilight Princess. Many members seem to give Twilight Princess undeserved hate because they either just say "It was teh suckage" without any explanation as to why they believe that Twilight Princess is a bad game, or they got too involved with the hype, thus, being greatly disappointed.

I'll have to admit, the use of motion sensing in Skyward Sword has already made me decide that the control scheme for this game will be by far superior to that of Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess didn't really capitalise on the motion sensing controls outside of using the Slingshot, Bow and Clawshots, it was just swinging your arm constantly, which after a while can get rather annoying to do. It lets us have more control over Link when we are fighting any enemies we come across due to the fact that we can move the sword in practically any direction we wish, something which I think is a rather good idea to have included in the game (although the E3 showing wasn't exactly helping Skyward Sword's cause with this, as most people know the motion sensing didn't really work to well).

Another fact that has made me think that some aspects of Skyward Sword will be better than Twilight Princess's is the fact that the enemies, to a certain degree, have started to use better defense mechanism's, in terms of the Deku Baba's, or have learnt to defend themselves with their weapons, such as the Bokoblins. It annoys me that in most Zelda games, there are only two or three enemies that have the items/tech or brains to actually defend themselves. The Darknut's, Dodongo's and Staflos all could defend themselves to a slight degree in Twilight Princess, but once you worked it out after about 2 or 3 attempts attacks, that enemy never really bothered you again (although using my counter strategy to beat the 3 that clustered together in the Cave of Ordeals to forever since they wouldn't split up. D=<).

An the other hand, I personally think that Twilight Princess has the better graphics of the two. If Skyward Sword had Toon Link in it (or Wind Waker Link, which ever you prefer), then perfect, I'd be extremely happy with the game. However, it does not to my dissatisfaction, it has a Twilight Princess Link in Cel-Shading, something that in my opinion, does not go together well at all. Although, this isn't much of a problem because I can't tolerate bad graphics, but it does annoy me.

Outside of that, I don't think there is really much to compare because out of the possible bosses and confirmed items that I have seen in the E3 showing of the game and the trailer that has been released recently, I think that both Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess have great ideas in both sections. So really, I can't quite tell if Skyward Sword will be better than Twilight Princess. Although I can state that I think that it will at least be on par, which from my point of view is something, considering I see Twilight Princess as one of the best games I have played.

Zarom

The King
To be honest, Skyward Sword can't be worst than TP. After all, I kind of disliked TP for several reasons. But anyway, I love the art style of SS, and they haven't even polished them yet. Like fredthehylian said, the graphics in TP didn't feel very Zelda (to me, at least). So yeah, I love the new art style, in my mind it fits the Zelda universe perfectly, and it looks more like the old games too.

Other than that, I'm really excited about the controls, I never played the Wii version of TP, but SS seems to focus a lot on how the sword and the items work, which I think is a really good thing.

So yeah, I have no doubt at all that this game will be better than TP (that isn't very hard to beat, anyway). What I'm really wondering though, is if it SS will be better than MM, or even WW? Hmm... I guess only time will tell.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Honestly that will be up to you. Everyone has a different opinion on every Zelda game in the series. The same goes fro me as I will be waiting until I get the game to form a concrete opinion on it. So far I am quite impressed at what I am looking at but I still don't know how well it will do against Twilight Princess (my least favored title in the series.)

Beeker

Wild Card
I agree with you Durion. Gameplay/ control wise, SS will definetely be better than TP. Overall, I think this game will be better than Twilight Princess, and it's one of my favouite games in the series. Skyward Sword is looking to be very promising.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
This is a subjective statement, as whether "SS is better than TP" is an opinion that will vary from person to person.

If you break it down, you can ask individual questions that contribute to your answer however.

How's the story?
TP: Story of the struggles between the world of Twilight and Hyrule.
SS: Emphasis on the origins of the Master Sword, perhaps the Sheikah, perhaps interlopers, perhaps the Royal Family, perhaps the Great War...
Depends what you find more interesting, though pacing of the story will factor into that as well. TP may not have had perfect pacing, but we don't know how SS's story will be implemented yet.

How's the look?
TP: Gritty de-saturated look, more *realistic.*
SS: Highly stylized, vibrant and colorful, impressionistic.
Depends what tickles your fancy more on that one, I suppose.

How's difficulty?
TP: Enemies deal minimal damage, AI isn't great either.
SS: Enemies seem to actively block attacks, also deal greater damage per blow.
I think this one at least should be a given :P

A lot of SS's factors integral to how it will play out have yet to be revealed honestly, so while it's got tons of potential right now, we won't really know until we are experiencing it ourselves. TP had tons of potential before it came out, for the same reason that there was plenty of leeway in the potential of the factors we did not yet know.

Still, I think my hopes for SS have a strong foundation~ :)

If SS is longer than TP, most definitely. Honestly, TP can be 100% within a day, it can be Final Bossed within 13 hours.

Wasn't TP the longest Zelda to-date though? I don't think length necessarily correlates to quality. It could be long and tedious, or it can be shorter and have greater replayability, ALA MM. Although I would like playing SS to last a good long time :zelda:

Last edited:
If motion plus delivers, the story substantially adds too the background story, the graphics add to the game and the sidequests of the game are better then TP it could be one of the best Zelda's to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom