• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do you like BotW’s durability mechanic?

Do you like the durability mechanic?

• Total voters

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I do. The decreased durability stops players from potentially coming to rely on one weapon, instead forcing them to use what they have on hand or nearby. If weapons didn't break, players would pick once, always use it, and throw out all the others.

While I didn't mind the weapons breaking in combat, what really, really annoys me is how quickly they break in those shrines that you have to Stasis then hit a ball to solve. There's this ONE shrine I haven't been able to clear because aiming that ball is a pain and I always wind up breaking my entire inventory of weapons.

If it is the Shrine I think it’s Mirro Shaz, Tempered Power.
I have trouble lining up but solved that by crouching and creeping up to the Ball.
Make sure you have the Sledge hammer, the harder/heavier the weapon the better, using the Sledge hammer and lining up straight Stasis the ball then hit the ball 5 times, as long as you’re straight I should go in.
Sorry don’t know how to make the above a ‘spoiler’!

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I do. The decreased durability stops players from potentially coming to rely on one weapon, instead forcing them to use what they have on hand or nearby. If weapons didn't break, players would pick once, always use it, and throw out all the others.
Why is this bad
Look at what dark souls does, encouraging you to focus on using 2 or 3 different weapons that complement each other
Why is it so bad for players to be attached to certain weapons? Why do I get punished for using my cool flamesword?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Why is this bad
Look at what dark souls does, encouraging you to focus on using 2 or 3 different weapons that complement each other
Why is it so bad for players to be attached to certain weapons? Why do I get punished for using my cool flamesword?

I'd rebut by saying that Dark Souls isn't the sort of game where better equipment necessarily makes combat much easier. Whereas scavenging and collecting more powerful equipment is largely the key to success in BotW, mastering the mechanics and proper dodging/parrying is more important in Dark Souls.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Why is this bad
How do you get punished for using it when you can just go get another one? I'm attached to royal broadswords cuz they look cool, that's why I carry like 10 of them at all times. Hardly call it a punishment to make use of your resources.

Mikey the Moblin

How do you get punished for using it when you can just go get another one? I'm attached to royal broadswords cuz they look cool, that's why I carry like 10 of them at all times. Hardly call it a punishment to make use of your resources.
because I don't always know where I had gotten it from or it breaks in the middle of a dungeon of course

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
because I don't always know where I had gotten it from or it breaks in the middle of a dungeon of course
It's not that hard to learn where stuff is on the map. Plus you get map stamps to remind you of stuff like that. The coliseum always has a stock of flame blades that restock every blood moon. There's also lots of fixed altars throughout the word for elemental weapons. Hyrule Castle has a pretty high concentration of them, besides just the coliseum. It breaking in the middle of a dungeon is unfortunate yeah, but that's also an aspect of resource management I personally enjoy dealing with. I do get that not everyone wants to deal with that, though.

Mikey the Moblin

I'd rebut by saying that Dark Souls isn't the sort of game where better equipment necessarily makes combat much easier. Whereas scavenging and collecting more powerful equipment is largely the key to success in BotW, mastering the mechanics and proper dodging/parrying is more important in Dark Souls.
that's fair
maybe they should do it the way dark souls does it :cool:

Mikey the Moblin

It's not that hard to learn where stuff is on the map. Plus you get map stamps to remind you of stuff like that. The coliseum always has a stock of flame blades that restock every blood moon. There's also lots of fixed altars throughout the word for elemental weapons. Hyrule Castle has a pretty high concentration of them, besides just the coliseum. It breaking in the middle of a dungeon is unfortunate yeah, but that's also an aspect of resource management I personally enjoy dealing with. I do get that not everyone wants to deal with that, though.
it's not that things breaking in the middle of combat is annoying (even though it is don't get me wrong) it's that sometimes it's something special that can't be replaced, like maybe you got a super high damage lynel bow etc, or the aforementioned reasons for being unable to replace it at the very moment
it becomes tedious and I'd rather just play a game where I can use the weapons I want to, you dig? Botw has cool weapons, but I can never use any of them cause they'll just break, so it's master sword 23/7

If it is the Shrine I think it’s Mirro Shaz, Tempered Power.
I have trouble lining up but solved that by crouching and creeping up to the Ball.
Make sure you have the Sledge hammer, the harder/heavier the weapon the better, using the Sledge hammer and lining up straight Stasis the ball then hit the ball 5 times, as long as you’re straight I should go in.
Sorry don’t know how to make the above a ‘spoiler’!
It's not. I'll have to take a look at my file (if I can ever pry my Switch away from my sister who gets off work before I do and hogs it XD), but I do know I cleared Mirro Shaz.

Are you talking about the one next to the stable outside the lost woods? That ones always a pain for me too but there’s actually a set number of hits that’s usually able to get it over. I don’t remember off the top of my head but it should be around 5-7 hits with a one handed sword. You can experiment if you save before starting and reload the save if you exhaust your durability before you figure it out.
I'm usually too annoyed to savescum and jump straight into ragequit, lol.

It's been a while since I've tried that shrine, so I don't actually remember where it is/which one. I'll have to remember to check tomorrow.

---

I finally found the edit button! It is very hidden on mobile, wow.

Anyways, just checked my file and APPARENTLY I cleared that troublesome shrine, whichever one it was. It probably was the one near the Lost Woods because I remember the sledgehammer being too much.

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
It's fine. I don't hate it, finding weapons is incredibly easy, especially if you play in Master Mode. Finding enough korok seeds to expand your inventory a few spaces is not at all difficult and a little knowledge of the game helps you determine which weapons to keep around and how to get the best ones.

However, my simple thought is that the system simply doesn't need to exist and I wouldn't feel any different playing the game with permanent weapons. If anything, I would enjoy it more, because finding the same weapons over and over is not how you increase exploration value. Finding cool new items like in traditional Zelda games is something that has been sorely missed in every game since Skyward Sword.

The worst thing is a badly damaged weapon not breaking when you kill an enemy, or becoming badly damaged upon killing the enemy. So unsatisfying.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The worst thing is a badly damaged weapon not breaking when you kill an enemy, or becoming badly damaged upon killing the enemy. So unsatisfying.
The former is really easy to work around, though. Badly damaged weapons always break 4 hits after the notice that they're badly damaged. You can time your attacks like that, or you can just throw it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom