• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why is ZD different?

I'm probably not the one who should be making this thread because I've only been here for a month and I barely interact with the "community," but ZD just lost two incredible Zelda-enthusiasts because something changed. Now, I wasn't here during any period that they cherish fondly, but I do think that Sheikah and Spirit leaving is indicative that larger changes need to be changed to keep people engaged. I barely know these people but it seems like a massive loss for the community, and it sounds like they've felt more disengaged for a long time. Idk what to do or how to change it, but I really don't wanna see these monstrous creators leave.

The biggest reason I joined this forum was to be able to talk about Zelda with people like Spirit and Sheikah; I would look at their posts as a guest and want to engage with them. But once I joined, I realized they rarely ever posted anymore. Again, I'm not sure what's different now (maybe I'm part of the problem) but I do think we need to really reflect on why these two "legends" left and how to keep people engaged with the community they've enjoyed for literally 10 entire years.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Because they didn't like some of the newer users. This place is doing just fine as a Zelda community. Spirit has even admitted in the past that she isn't even into Zelda that much anymore, and was just sticking around because she loved the community. I'm not surprised she left.

I swear, this drama is making me sick. I hope it blows over quick. This has been my happy place for the past couple of months, and I hope it remains so for many more to come.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I think it has something to do with all the members joining who don’t know even a single thing about Zelda, let alone played a Zelda game. Most of them came from MarioBoards. There was also another user who got banned, but while he was around he was a little mean. Sometimes there wouldn’t be a new post about Zelda for almost the whole day.

The community of members has shifted. Many of the people I know and love are gone or are very inactive now. Of course, there still are many newer members I love here, and that’s why I stay, but I don’t think it was enough for Spirit and other users like her. I think she got lonely and didn’t like the new atmosphere this site had created.

I honestly don’t think we can change it back. Of course, we can try to post more often in Zelda threads, but there will still be more posts in other areas like rp. There’s just more people here who have different interests, and I think we’ll just have to adapt to this new Zelda Dungeon.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
I think it has something to do with all the members joining who don’t know even a single thing about Zelda, let alone played a Zelda game. Most of them came from MarioBoards. There was also another user who got banned, but while he was around he was a little mean. Sometimes there wouldn’t be a new post about Zelda for almost the whole day.

The community of members has shifted. Many of the people I know and love are gone or are very inactive now. Of course, there still are many newer members I love here, and that’s why I stay, but I don’t think it was enough for Spirit and other users like her. I think she got lonely and didn’t like the new atmosphere this site had created.

I honestly don’t think we can change it back. Of course, we can try to post more often in Zelda threads, but there will still be more posts in other areas like rp. There’s just more people here who have different interests, and I think we’ll just have to adapt to this new Zelda Dungeon.
Saying ZeldaDungeon is a Zelda site is like saying MarioBoards is a Mario site.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Saying ZeldaDungeon is a Zelda site is like saying MarioBoards is a Mario site.
I don't know what that means for MarioBoards, but ZD has always been a Zelda site first and foremost. Anything else we have here is extra. The tonal shift where less and less people are coming here for the main things and instead are coming for the side things understandably puts some people off. Just imagine wanting to chat about your favorite series, but all the new members are either trash-talking the games or have never played them at all. That would naturally be discouraging on a site that focuses on those games. Plus we've had some new members who are pretty young and don't know how to behave in an online environment yet, or are bringing drama from other sites. Not everyone can deal with all that, and not everyone has to.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer

Tbh Echo, it's always been like this. There has always been drama and troublesome people. You can ask the members who have been around for about 10 years that back then it was way more drama filled than now. People don't have to have played Zelda to enjoy the community. People like Exlight and Rubik came here for mafia and enjoyed the community enough to stay and I know Ex has now even played a couple of Zelda games and Rubik recently played Zelda 2 with his girlfriend. If you make a welcoming community people will be incentivized to create discussion and also possibly try out the games themselves. But if you try to shut out others under the idea that this is only a Zelda site, then you're just limiting any potential new chances for discussion.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
It kinda used to be a community.... we all made a thing for spirit when sje was low....

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Sheikah wasn’t around for 10 years, she was a fairly new member actually.

Anyway, what happened is that the people that considered themselves the ZD community were having some issues with people from other parts of the site and, more recently, with the members that came from other sites like Marioboards.

I agree with them leaving being quite the loss for the community, but if that makes them feel better they should do whatever they want. I deep down just wished that instead of seeing the options here as either marginalizing people or quitting they had been more willing to just sit down and talk about it, and were more open to adapting and socializing with the new members. Guess that’s asking too much.

I don't even know how this drama started. People say it began with MarioBoards, but I doubt it.
It worsened things a lot, but a bit before that the same people kept trying to pick up fights with the mafia community blaming us for the inactivity on Zelda related stuff lol.
Funny enough when yall showed up and tried to start activity on it they wouldn’t reply because they didn’t like you all, so a bit of hypocrisy there.

AwdryFan1997

Sheikah wasn’t around for 10 years, she was a fairly new member actually.

Anyway, what happened is that the people that considered themselves the ZD community were having some issues with people from other parts of the site and, more recently, with the members that came from other sites like Marioboards.

I agree with them leaving being quite the loss for the community, but if that makes them feel better they should do whatever they want. I deep down just wished that instead of seeing the options here as either marginalizing people or quitting they had been more willing to just sit down and talk about it, and were more open to adapting and socializing with the new members. Guess that’s asking too much.

It worsened things a lot, but a bit before that the same people kept trying to pick up fights with the mafia community blaming us for the inactivity on Zelda related stuff lol.
Funny enough when yall showed up and tried to start activity on it they wouldn’t reply because they didn’t like you all, so a bit of hypocrisy there.
Alright, well, this has finally convinced me to join the mafia.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Tbh Echo, it's always been like this. There has always been drama and troublesome people. You can ask the members who have been around for about 10 years that back then it was way more drama filled than now. People don't have to have played Zelda to enjoy the community. People like Exlight and Rubik came here for mafia and enjoyed the community enough to stay and I know Ex has now even played a couple of Zelda games and Rubik recently played Zelda 2 with his girlfriend. If you make a welcoming community people will be incentivized to create discussion and also possibly try out the games themselves. But if you try to shut out others under the idea that this is only a Zelda site, then you're just limiting any potential new chances for discussion.

I...I wasn’t welcoming? I thought I tried my best to be welcoming and friendly...

I’m sorry, I guess my post was a little harsh. I just, I love Spirit so much and I guess I got a little mad that she’s not happy anymore. I wanted this site to stay the same. For her and other members. But by only thinking about those couple members, I shut out the rest. Even if I don’t know them very well, I should still try to think of them too.

What you said makes sense. I guess I wasn’t as open and welcoming as I thought. I need to change that right here and now. I am known to be very kind and welcoming, and I need to live up to that.

So, I’m sorry all MarioBoarders and all the people that I insulted in my last post. I want to be friends with you. I think I just wanted to stay with people that I knew and shared the same interests with. But now that I think about it, that must make you very lonely, maybe even more than Spirit. I want this community to be welcoming and friendly, and if everyone else is just going to leave you guys behind, I’ll have to be the one to do it.

So...let’s start over for a second. Welcome to ZD! Nice to meet you, I’m Echo, I hope you enjoy it here. I’m looking forward to meeting you and getting to know what you’re interests are so we can talk about them and grow our relationship! This place started out as a Zelda site, but now it’s mostly just a way to connect with others and become friends! :hug:

Let’s not just force ourselves live with the change in Zelda Dungeon, let’s embrace it! Let’s be friends and enjoy each others company. That’s what matters most, right?

AwdryFan1997

I...I wasn’t welcoming? I thought I tried my best to be welcoming and friendly...

I’m sorry, I guess my post was a little harsh. I just, I love Spirit so much and I guess I got a little mad that she’s not happy anymore. I wanted this site to stay the same. For her and other members. But by only thinking about those couple members, I shut out the rest. Even if I don’t know them very well, I should still try to think of them too.

What you said makes sense. I guess I wasn’t as open and welcoming as I thought. I need to change that right here and now. I am known to be very kind and welcoming, and I need to live up to that.

So, I’m sorry all MarioBoarders and all the people that I insulted in my last post. I want to be friends with you. I think I just wanted to stay with people that I knew and shared the same interests with. But now that I think about it, that must make you very lonely, maybe even more than Spirit. I want this community to be welcoming and friendly, and if everyone else is just going to leave you guys behind, I’ll have to be the one to do it.

So...let’s start over for a second. Welcome to ZD! Nice to meet you, I’m Echo, I hope you enjoy it here. I’m looking forward to meeting you and getting to know what you’re interests are so we can talk about them and grow our relationship! This place started out as a Zelda site, but now it’s mostly just a way to connect with others and become friends! :hug:

Let’s not just force ourselves live with the change in Zelda Dungeon, let’s embrace it! Let’s be friends and enjoy each others company. That’s what matters most, right?
You were never rude to me. You're one of the nicest people here.

I'm AwdryFan1997, I was banned from MarioBoards because the mods were cocks.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer

Sorry if it seemed like I was talking about you specifically Echo. You have always been the kindest member here so I don't think you've been purposefully mean or ostracizing to anyone. Your valid to feel frustrated or whatever else you feel. I just wanted to show how things have always been pretty much the same, just with different members. And how there are actually ways to help improve things, but people just have to be open to it.

I commend you seeing things from a different perspective though and trying to start anew. You won't always get along well with others, but at least making an effort to not make the feel excluded is great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom