• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What exactly is Link saving in Termina if technically it does not exist?

The books state that Termina was created by Majora using the Skull Kid's mind. That doesn't make sense and contradicts what is shown in game. Termina, the 4 Giants, etc all existed before Skull Kid stole the mask. When he got the mask, the evil preyed on his emotions and anger toward the 4 Giants leaving him, so that's when he began his mischief. After you beat Majora, the book state the land ceases to exist. This again contradicts the ending actually shown in game.

So to answer your question, he is saving Termina and its inhabitants.

I kinda don't mind the idea that Termina is a dream. Obviously there's an atmosphere of dread throughout the game and a lot of impactful moments with the characters, but you can always rewind time so it doesn't necessarily feel real. The whole story is kind of like a nightmare, with a lot of unexplained bad stuff happening. And the locations and characters are so weird anyway. I'd even say Koholint is a more believable place than Termina.

MM also doesn't contribute much lore to the other games. I guess it introduced Tingle, but he could just be someone Skull Kid met in the Lost Woods and hence found his way into the dream. Happy Mask Salesman is a completely ordinary guy in OoT, he feels like one of those random people who suddenly become important in your dream and you don't really know why.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
Uhhh the obvious / only answer is "Saving the World"! Can't have villanous megamoons face-smashing into Termina any more than we can allow big pig Ganon to take down Hyrule, now can we?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Termina is real and was described as a strange parallel world. There may have been a recent thing about it being a dream but this was never the case when it was created, that was made up.

Link was searching for his friend Navi which is why he entered Termina but he is unable to actually leave the land which is why he has to save it. Also he has no idea if the destruction of Termina would also affect Hyrule even if he were to leave. (It actually doesn't as Termina isn't saved in the adult timeline or decline timeline)

kikwi_lopsa

give me the cucco nuggets
if you look at 20 theories that were actually conmirmed this is the description for termina in majoras mask:

"The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is a bizarre and creepy game with a setting that seems unreal. The land of Termina is so unreal that many fans refused to believe that everything was as it seemed. There are many fans who point to the musical references to Link's Awakening in Majora's Mask as proof for their theory that the game takes place in a dream. There are also many fans who believe that Link passed away at the end of Ocarina of Time and was in Purgatory, with the different sections of the game representing the five stages of grief. There are also fans who believe that everything in Majora's Mask should be taken at face value and that Link really did stop the moon from crashing into the planet.

Eiji Aonuma has officially shut down the two most famous theories, as he claimed that the music from Link's Awakening was a stylistic choice and nothing more, while the five stages of grief theory is over-simplifying the events that happened in the game. It's possible that Aonuma may confirm some other wild theory someday, but for now, we should take him at his word and believe that Link really did save Termina from a terrible fate"

thats just what the website says (yes i copy and pasted im lazy)

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
if you look at 20 theories that were actually conmirmed this is the description for termina in majoras mask:

"The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is a bizarre and creepy game with a setting that seems unreal. The land of Termina is so unreal that many fans refused to believe that everything was as it seemed. There are many fans who point to the musical references to Link's Awakening in Majora's Mask as proof for their theory that the game takes place in a dream. There are also many fans who believe that Link passed away at the end of Ocarina of Time and was in Purgatory, with the different sections of the game representing the five stages of grief. There are also fans who believe that everything in Majora's Mask should be taken at face value and that Link really did stop the moon from crashing into the planet.

Eiji Aonuma has officially shut down the two most famous theories, as he claimed that the music from Link's Awakening was a stylistic choice and nothing more, while the five stages of grief theory is over-simplifying the events that happened in the game. It's possible that Aonuma may confirm some other wild theory someday, but for now, we should take him at his word and believe that Link really did save Termina from a terrible fate"

thats just what the website says (yes i copy and pasted im lazy)
I'd recommend adding a direct link to this quote

The Miyazaki-esque nature of Termina is an example of what makes this series great. It's as real as anything in a legend.

But of course the point of the story is not that Terminal is saved, it's the culmination of Link's coming-of-age story, understanding and embracing transience, and being able to move on from the boy living in a timeless kindergarten to becoming the fierce deity that brings in the dawn of a new day.

I truly believe Link is dead and the whole game is about accept the fact he is not alive anymore all the NPCs are people from Hyrule the main villain is a Skull Kid a Kokiri Forest creature , Tatl is Navi of course Nintendo will never say that he is dead but all the masks represent people that died its obvious that Link is not alive

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The Miyazaki-esque nature of Termina is an example of what makes this series great. It's as real as anything in a legend.

But of course the point of the story is not that Terminal is saved, it's the culmination of Link's coming-of-age story, understanding and embracing transience, and being able to move on from the boy living in a timeless kindergarten to becoming the fierce deity that brings in the dawn of a new day.
This probably isn't too far off from the message in terms of Link's story. He was sent back in time to relive the normal childhood he should have had, but Majora's Mask nails home that he will never be able to have a normal childhood, so he needs to grow up.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
I personally consider Termina a world created by Skull Kid's dreams and memories that REMAINS after everyone leaves. So, it's an alternate dimension created specifically to destroyed, and once it wasn't, it remained intact going forward.

D

Deleted member 91332

Termina is real, there is no ambiguity about it.

I don't subscribe to the theory that it's a dream within Skull Kid's mind, I consider it a real parallel world that continues on after Link leaves. Thus, some people are actually parallel world versions of people from Hyrule. The Happy Mask Salesman is the same mask salesman from Hyrule, and I always theorized he is some sort of time lord perhaps.
Did Nintendo officially say that Hyrule Encyclopedia was canon, or is it similar to the mangas where it's written by different people, non canon, but still rakes in some income for Nintendo? Anyway, I think it's a parallel world because it was brought up by Aonuma in 2015. Plus after Link left Termina, he still had the mirror shield he found there.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Did Nintendo officially say that Hyrule Encyclopedia was canon, or is it similar to the mangas where it's written by different people, non canon, but still rakes in some income for Nintendo? Anyway, I think it's a parallel world because it was brought up by Aonuma in 2015. Plus after Link left Termina, he still had the mirror shield he found there.
Yes, Hyrule Encyclopedia is canon and is considered as such by Nintendo until any changes are made.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It's canon because Nintendo signed off for it to be, but Nintendo had no direct involvement with any the goddess trilogy books. The preface to Zelda Encyclopedia essientially admits that those who put the book together took creative liberties at points, and this is apparent when we come across points that are blatantly headcanon; such as the explanation for Termina in the book.

The timeline page has a footnote saying the timeline can be interpreted a number of ways, and could change based on new games and fan theories. Overall, the authors are literally saying we shouldn't take what is in the book as the end all be all, and I'm perfectly fine with that. So it's loosely canon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom