• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you ever revisit media you've outgrown?

Earlier this year most of us on ZD took part in our own ten and thirty day music challenges. For me personally these challenges had me looking back over periods in my life and to music I had long since outgrown.

There's always a reason for why we outgrow something, it's a pretty unique thing we do as humans with media, but do you ever revisit the things you've outgrown that you used to love?

Do you look back and cringe now or do you remember the times you shared with it fondly?

Have you revisited anything you've outgrown in media recently?

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
Earlier this year most of us on ZD took part in our own ten and thirty day music challenges. For me personally these challenges had me looking back over periods in my life and to music I had long since outgrown.

There's always a reason for why we outgrow something, it's a pretty unique thing we do as humans with media, but do you ever revisit the things you've outgrown that you used to love?

Do you look back and cringe now or do you remember the times you shared with it fondly?

Have you revisited anything you've outgrown in media recently?
I'm a Tankie. Revisiting the stuff I've outgrown is a part of my culture.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
Not if I have outgrown it, but there's a difference between media I have actually outgrown and media people tell me I've outgrown. The question we ought to ask ourselves when evaluating this is, what does X piece of media give us?
That's a really good point. I've outgrown the majority of Thomas the Tank Engine, but some of the older stuff, namely the stuff I grew up with via the home video releases, brings me a little happiness and nostalgia and whatnot. Of course, I still talk about the franchise on the internet, because it's fun to argue about talking trains.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
If I've really outgrown it then no, I wouldn't revisit it. There were shows that I liked where the general consensus was at some point we should groe out of them, this was mainly true with anime, my friend circle got into it really early, 4th and 5th grade was filled with nerding out over Naruto and Dragon Ball Z. But by tine we got to Middle School most of us moved on from it, we thought it was just a phase.

I revisted some of the anime I liked and I found that it was just as good as I remembered, so I realize now it wasn't a phase I actually liked the media but it was like I was expected to outgrow it, I guess.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
There have been songs or shows I've fully outgrown and I don't listen to that music anymore or watch that show. And it makes me cringe but I'm not embarressed to say I used to be a fan. Some other things I've outgrown I still revisit from time to time just for nostalgic reasons

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
I do sometimes. It can be an interesting experience to revisit things that no longer really appeal to me but once did.

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I definitely do, I mean I've never revisited the shows like Sesame Street, Barney, or Power Rangers. But I have watched the Muppets (which I feel like was geared towards children that were a little older than those who watched Sesame Street.) I have revisited a lot of the cartoons I watched in the 90s (like Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Ahh! Real Monsters!) but I don't really feel like I ever outgrew them, they just stopped airing for a very long time. I can still enjoy them even as an adult.

The other weekend, my brother and I watched a few episodes of Spongebob on Amazon Prime. I didn't remember seeing those specific episodes as a kid, and we both definitely still enjoyed the show. While I don't think I'll be revisiting Spongebob all that often, it made me realize how well the show holds up for all ages. I think it you enjoyed something in media at one point in time, you will be able to find something in it that you still enjoy to this day, even if it wasn't what you enjoyed about it before. I used to really like Spongebob for the catchy music and Plankton constantly getting foiled, but my more recent enjoyment was more so about the wholesome character interactions.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I sometimes do, yeah. Like early last year I rewatched Avatar: the Last Airbender, and enjoyed it just as much (if not more) than when I originally watched it as a kid. Other times it's a game I used to play or some other form of media, but the shot of nostalgia is always nice.

I don't enjoy Rugrats like I used to, though I still have a soft spot for it.

I've been having fun revisiting Salute Your Shorts when I can find episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom