• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Other Great Open World Games

Open world games are really popular right now, but it can be hard to figure out which one to play. Especially when games cost as much as they do, and take as long as they do nowadays to complete.

What are some of y'alls other favorite open world games? This list here puts Breath of the Wild as the current best but lists some other good titles too. I've played most of them.

I think Dying Light probably deserves a spot on the list too, but otherwise I think it's a good article.

What are some of y'alls other favorite open world games?

Nier Automata has a good open world with some nice varied locations.

Yakuza's Kamurocho is a very good open world too. It's just a small prefecture and not too big but it is packed full of content.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
IMO the only open world game that holds a candle to BotW is red dead redemption 2. The astounding attention to detail, the amount of stuff you can do, it’s the only other game for me tha has struck that same sense of awe in me.

Ninja

Well well well
Ghost of Tsushima. The world isn’t so large that you are just wandering, but it isn’t small enough to make you feel trapped. There’s sons of stuff to do and find, and each thing you find almost always rewards you with something nice. It’s probably the most gorgeous game I’ve ever played.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Ghost of Tsushima. The world isn’t so large that you are just wandering, but it isn’t small enough to make you feel trapped. There’s sons of stuff to do and find, and each thing you find almost always rewards you with something nice. It’s probably the most gorgeous game I’ve ever played.

Tsushima is definitely the open world game I've played that's most LIKE BotW. It's calm and serene and allows you to take your time. From early on in the game, you can go anywhere. It even has the same kind of painterly quality to it's aesthetic.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I have to concur with Red Dead Redemption 2, especially on PC. It is a truly awe inspiring open world game.

....But, there needs to be more ponchos like the one Clint Eastwood wears in the films Fistful of Dollars, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and such.

12 Great Facts About The Good, The Bad and The Ugly | Mental Floss

I know on PC we have mods, but unfortunately, the mods don't give me a b*tchin' poncho.

As far as the details on the firearms, well, it's pretty good, with some models either being outdated by the time the game takes place, some are still iconic firearms even today, and some are a little futuristic. But hey, it's a video game.

Modded Skyrim can be fun, but I have to stress that mods really improve the game, as the game on its own is rather stale, like plain vanilla ice cream.

The open-world game I've been playing is Destroy All Humans! Remastered for PC.

Basically take Grand Theft Auto, add in cheesy 1950's sci-fi, and raunchy humor, and you get the whole gist of the game.

I mean, it's a ton of fun to throw a cow over the horizon, zap a cop with my Zap-O-Matic, and bodysnatch people, and blow things up with my spaceship.

:D

Quin

Disaster Master
Other than BOTW, a few favorites of mine are Dragon's Dogma, Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon: Zero Dawn, Games with good combat and very nice looking worlds.

A few others that I also like are Fallout: new vegas, sleeping dogs, red dead, asscreed 4 for the pirate theme, Morrowind, and Ps4 Spider-man.
Oh and Arkham City/knight

IMO the only open world game that holds a candle to BotW is red dead redemption 2. The astounding attention to detail, the amount of stuff you can do, it’s the only other game for me tha has struck that same sense of awe in me.
I agree because both games understand what makes an open world game good.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The Witcher 3 is the best open world game I have played. It has a vast world with great visuals, there are plenty of hidden treasures to be found in the caves and ruins and there are story based side quests to be found everywhere and no shortage of herbs to pick and monsters to hunt.

I also enjoyed Fallout 3, Skyrim,, Outer World's and FF15

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I have only really played Skyrim (not much of it), Runscape and MapleStory open world wise. But i hope to play more once I have a stronger computer again, mine just turned 4 so I don't want to torture it.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Ghost of Tsushima is a top-tier openworld title for the PS4 that maintains a lot of the expected conventions while also doing away with most of the annoying aspects, such as horses running into trees (bad BotW and Witcher 3). The combat is extremely fluid and precise, encouraging the player to read enemy attacks and parry or dodge at just the right moment to counterattack. Aesthetically speaking, Tsushima is incredibly beautiful with some color palettes almost coming straight out of a romanticized painting. It's definitely a more polished Assassin's Creed, though some of the climbing controls can be finicky and the camera can get stuck on walls. Conversely, the gameplay is a wonder to behold.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is also tremendous with a huge emphasis on exploration; scouring each nook and cranny will most often result in rewarding the player with a new discovery. Unlike the other games in the series, XCX gives you a dedicated run button so that traversal is extremely quick, but nothing compares to gaining a Skell for the first time and soaring over Mira with the flight module. For a Wii U game, the textured alien landscapes look amazing and runs well for the most part despite some pop-in and occasional frame dips. While the fractured story feels more like a distraction, the world itself is compelling enough to keep on playing for hours on end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom