• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Monster Hunter The Blazing Black Dragon, Master of Elements, Alatreon!

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
Everyone, this is a public service announcement: The Iceborne DLC will, as of tomorrow evening (Pacific Time), be home to the ultimate Elder Dragon of Elements, Alatreon!

Originally the final boss of Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, Alatreon has left a strong impression on anyone who's fought it. I look on with bated breath to battle it again after 10 years in glorious modern style on Monster Hunter World!

Anyone else planning to join the hunt?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Alatreon looked better in GenU. His new Judgement move seems like a middle finger to anyone who dares to play anything other than a hard element build. With the way randoms can be so uncoordinated, I'm not looking forward to it.

I will still fight it though. GenU may be a better game overall, but World is still fun. I'm hoping they finally made some good-looking Alatreon dual blades.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
Alatreon looked better in GenU. His new Judgement move seems like a middle finger to anyone who dares to play anything other than a hard element build. With the way randoms can be so uncoordinated, I'm not looking forward to it.

I will still fight it though. GenU may be a better game overall, but World is still fun. I'm hoping they finally made some giod-looking Alatreon dual blades.

I never got far enough into Gen U to fight it again (was turboing G Rank and got hard walled at tier 9 variant Mizutsune, then Iceborne gave out so I stopped playing) but I will say that I fully intend to solo it if it kills me. I played all of Tri and 3U solo, so for me it just wouldn't be right to fight Alatreon in a group. I will say the previews of the gear on the Developer Diary look absolutely PHENOMENAL, and fitting of a black dragon, so I can't wait to suit up!

(I also lowkey like the hard element build focus, I always thought element was cooler than raw / blast / poison and am pretty disappointed at how generally irrelevant it has been outside of a small handful of outlier weapons)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I never got far enough into Gen U to fight it again (was turboing G Rank and got hard walled at tier 9 variant Mizutsune, then Iceborne gave out so I stopped playing) but I will say that I fully intend to solo it if it kills me. I played all of Tri and 3U solo, so for me it just wouldn't be right to fight Alatreon in a group. I will say the previews of the gear on the Developer Diary look absolutely PHENOMENAL, and fitting of a black dragon, so I can't wait to suit up!

(I also lowkey like the hard element build focus, I always thought element was cooler than raw / blast / poison and am pretty disappointed at how generally irrelevant it has been outside of a small handful of outlier weapons)
The problem with Judgment is that it's an element dps check. That may be really difficult to achieve solo. It will kill you if you cant deal enough elemental damage on time. The fact that they're forcing a specific build in order to even survive the fight is very uncharacteristic of monhun. Generally, if you've got a good setup, you can work through any hunt, but that may not be the case for this one, and that's bad on both principle and from a gameplay standpoint. Hopefully it doesn't end up being that bad in practice and there are other ways to deal with Judgement, but for now it's looking to be a massive pain.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
The problem with Judgment is that it's an element dps check. That may be really difficult to achieve solo. It will kill you if you cant deal enough elemental damage on time. The fact that they're forcing a specific build in order to even survive the fight is very uncharacteristic of monhun. Generally, if you've got a good setup, you can work through any hunt, but that may not be the case for this one, and that's bad on both principle and from a gameplay standpoint. Hopefully it doesn't end up being that bad in practice and there are other ways to deal with Judgement, but for now it's looking to be a massive pain.

Does it actually OHKO you through armor and regardless of map location like the Behemoth thing? Or could I guard+ and Guard 5 to take reduced damage and live? What if I just superman dive it with high elemental resistance for the getting up parts? Or if I leave the area it's in when I see the "Windup" as best I can?

If it's like the Ecliptic Meteor, then I don't like it on principle, but any other scenario and I feel like I'll be able to handle it. Hard fights are part of the fun, after all!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Does it actually OHKO you through armor and regardless of map location like the Behemoth thing? Or could I guard+ and Guard 5 to take reduced damage and live? What if I just superman dive it with high elemental resistance for the getting up parts? Or if I leave the area it's in when I see the "Windup" as best I can?

If it's like the Ecliptic Meteor, then I don't like it on principle, but any other scenario and I feel like I'll be able to handle it. Hard fights are part of the fun, after all!
It covers the map and causes constant red damage to your health bar to drain you quickly. Some people think powering through with heals might be possible but it's not looking very efficient. The element dps check knocks him out of it or weakens it, I'm not sure which. It also happens every time he changes his primary element, so it could be happening a lot during the fight.

Last edited:

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
It covers the map and causes constant red damage to your health bar to drain you quickly. Some people think powering through with heals might be possible but it's not looking very efficient. The element dps check knocks him out of it or weakens it, I'm not sure which. It also happens every time he changes his primary element, so it could be happening a lot during the fight.

Well then, I welcome the challenge!!!! Get your Astera Jerky ready to go!!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It’s been out for a bit now and the initial impression is bad. Very. Bad. It seems as though the fight would be perfectly good if not for Judgement. This is bad design. Basically, if it gets out a Judgement, you're dead. Period. It kills too fast to power through with heals apparently. It's nearly impossible to survive it. So it's a map-wide killer that can't be avoided. And trying to prevent it is worse than dealing with Ecliptic Meteor. That's awful.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Now that I've fought it myself.... yeah. That ****'s awful. You're dead in literally one second once he uses it. You have no time to react. It drains your health in a split second. It does that while covering the entire map, and you can't guard against it or use a farcaster. That's absurdly unfair.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
My buddy and I tried to duo it yesterday and yeah, like TECHNICALLY you can try to heal through it but it's basically an Ecliptic Meteor with no comets for all intents and purposes. We managed to survive it ONE TIME by passing the DPS check but failed every other time for one reason or another. He's SO STRONG!! I'm honestly glad it's not just "Kill it thrice and forget it" like previous endgame monsters in World have been. Feels like oldschool Fatalis / G Rank White Fatalis where the quest clears are rare shining moments of joy and failure is the norm.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
Reporting back in to say I've still loved this hunt, even only completing it successfully 1 time so far it's been an absolute riot and I've enjoyed having a reason to go back through my sets and re-orient to focus on elemental damage. Even with the literally dozens of failures, I've also gotten enough part breaks and tail carves to make the full armor set and one of the weapons, which is now my "comfort and coolness" guiding lands set!

It can still feel a little hopeless when you fail a horn break and it swaps element on you, and I hate that you can't farcaster mid-hunt (Mid-ecliptic I understand, but not being able to swap between ice and fire is terrible), but overall it's great fun and nostalgia and a good reason to keep farming up!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I finally got him, but man was it awful. I really can't stand the way they designed this fight.

This is the setup I made specifically to kill him and it worked out. To be honest I think the only reason we won was because we had a HR 999 ice bow who knew what he was doing, but we still scraped by.
unknown.png

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
That's a sick build! I'm assuming health augmented Gae Bolg for mad regen while mount spamming?

I ended up duoing it with a friend, he had a hilarious set of the Beotodus IG for ice and a Fire kinsect, he would kinsect-only on the Ice mode until we got the Eschaton break and then switch to Glaive in fire mode. We ate for Safeguard+Insurance, both brought healing palico for a "free" cart, and I ended up on a dual setup - max Kjarr Fire evade lance with evasion+5, Safijiiva bonus, and namielle element acceleration for Ice phase, and after we double carted when we couldn't break horns anymore I switched over to a crit draw + crit element+coalescence (with 2 blight resistance) Frostcraft velkhana greatsword set. I then went back and was able to solo it with the same fire lance->cart without horn break after a couple of judgments -> greatsword set, but it's SO strong. Neat fight!

I tried playing with randoms online but failing an Eschaton break = instant quest fail, so I wouldn't do it again just because one Judgment = 4 carts lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom