• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's your favorite board game?

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Hmm, I'm not sure if I have a favorite. Clue is a classic since it has that mystery element.

Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride are both pretty fun as well.

There's also this one, probably lesser known board game, called Dwarven Miner that is a lot of fun.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
I don’t know if you’d consider it a board game per se, but Cards Against Humanity and all the similar knockoff sorta decks.
Party games like Cards Against Humanity and Apples to Apples definitely count. It's fun to bust out those sorts of light hearted games where everyone can just sort of goof around and have a good time.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I have a favorite. Clue is a classic since it has that mystery element.

Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride are both pretty fun as well.

There's also this one, probably lesser known board game, called Dwarven Miner that is a lot of fun.
I've never been a huge fan of Clue, but I love a lot of games with a similar sort of mystery element to them. Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is really fun if you want a game that's similar to Clue in that you're all investigators trying to figure out who the murderer is among you, what weapon they used, and a third additional detail but it involves more actual reasoning from getting ambiguous clues instead of most of the gameplay being moving around a board with dice. Mysterium is also pretty fun, but involves figuring out the murderer, location, and murder weapon as a team in a pretty interesting way using cards with pictures as hints. Both are a ton of fun.

Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride are both fun accessible modern-styled board games. They both definately helped me get into the hobby.

I've never heard of Dwarven Miner, I'll have to look into it.

Settlers of Catan! I love a good long game of Catan.
My friends and I played so many games of Catan. It was probably the game that really got me into the hobby.

I enjoy Chess when I get chances to play. I like Clue as well.
Chess is a great game, but I don't like to play it too often because 1v1 games kind of stress me out.

See the Minish post for my feelings about Clue.

Parcheesi is so meme I can play it by myself (:

I've never been huge on the old fashioned "roll a dice and move that many spaces" board games, but there's a certain nostalgia to them. Lots of really fun board games they've made in the past couple decades, I really suggest checking some of them out.

Axis and Allies. When I was a kid me and my father played it all the time. I only beat him once and it’s probably one of my favorite memories with him.

Man I had some pretty interesting games of Axis and Allies back in the day. Always lasted an absurd amount of time. Me, my brother, my dad, and my cousin had a giant game we played on a trip that we played periodically throughout the trip, it was pretty neat.

My brother has the anniversary edition that allows Italy to be a 6th player and it was pretty neat seeing the differences between the two versions.

There are a lot of other asymmetric war board games I've been loving that evoke some similar feelings to what I loved in Axis and Allies when we got decently into it. Twilight Imperium (ideally the 4th edition) is a really cool sci-fi war game that integrates warfare, politics, and trade pretty well into the gameplay and has an upgrade tree that i appreciate for similar reasons to the one in A&A. Scythe is also a really cool war board game with some asymmetric elements to it and is also really fun to play with a lot less of a time commitment than A&A or TI.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I like to play board games sometimes, it mainly depends on who I'm playing with. Amongst my favorites are Talisman (although it can take MANY hours to finish) and Secret Hitler (when you've got enough people to play it).

Quin

Disaster Master
74-Image-2-516x322.jpg

Easy one.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
lol! i still love to play board games especially buisness games like monopoly.
Monopoly gets a lot of flask from some people for taking a while, but that's partially because most people use house rules that prolong the game a lot. Between auctions, no free parking, and the fact there's a limited supply of houses and if you use them up you can prevent others from upgrading it makes the game decently fast and brutal from what I've heard.

My favorite business board game is Food Chain Magnate. It's brutal and has basically no "luck" involved in it and always makes my friends get headaches from how much planning you can put into it. It's one of my favorites.

I like to play board games sometimes, it mainly depends on who I'm playing with. Amongst my favorites are Talisman (although it can take MANY hours to finish) and Secret Hitler (when you've got enough people to play it).
As far as "roll dice to move around the board" games go, Talisman is a pretty good because the flavor is really really fun. Each different character plays pretty differently and you can tell some pretty fun stories about what happens in the game. My biggest qualms are that the game is maybe a bit too long if you don't use some of the house rules they suggest and that it's not mechanically super balanced, but the flavor of the game is strong enough that you can still have a lot of fun playing it.

Secret Hitler is a lot of fun. I was really excited to Kickstart it. I love social deduction games like that and the resistance (the game secret hitler draws the most from), one night ultimate werewolf, a fake artist goes to new york, deception: murder in hong kong, spyfall, werewords, etc. Secret Hitler is a lot of fun.
74-Image-2-516x322.jpg

Easy one.
That image is broken for me, unfortunately.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Does Dungeons & Dragons count? Probably that.
D&D is a tabletop game, but not a board game. Board games are a subset of tabletop games (tabletop games include board games, card games, and tabletop roleplaying games, among other things).

Nevertheless, D&D is one of my favorite activities and I look forward to playing it (almost) every Friday night with my friends. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom