• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Shrine with too many skips

dtc

Last day i went through a shrine near the death mountain. You were supposed to burn grass (or whatever is that) by doing some things with candles and torches. The problem is that you can just spam fire arrows/fire rod to complete the entire shrine easily. Did Nintendo know that or they were unaware? Because I think it's way too easy for a shrine, and even though it is a puzzle, you can beat it without thinking at all. You can also do something similar in a shrine in the zora region too.

That's the beauty of BotW. Do things your own way no matter how they were intended.

Fire arrows instead of supplied tools for puzzles is just the start. I've seen people do crazy things to bypass puzzles in BotW.

For example, instead of completing a circuit with metal blocks and water, some players just dropped all of their metal weapons and conducted the electricity that way.

I've seen other bypass puzzles entirely by standing in a high place in a shrine, throwing a bomb, doing a stasis lock, jumping onto the bomb, exploding the bomb fro extra lift to fire Link over gaps and sometimes entire sections.

Fire arrows are nothing when compared to things like.

Last edited:

dtc

I agree that you can do shrines by other ways, and thats good, however there are some ways that are really easy. And tbh that takes part of the fun of the shrine, especially if you can skip the entire quest. It's cool when you can skip one part or when the skip is not very easy, however those "braindead" skips make the shrine unrewarding. Still only my opinion, i understand why someone can like "free" orbs.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Honestly, I've never viewed this as skipping through anything. BotW is a game that rewards you for preparedness and creativity. If you're creative enough or prepared enough to find ways around things, you're rewarded with having an easier time. There's a set way to do everything, but you're never forced to follow them. I really, really love that about the game. It means that you can do things differently every time you play, which adds to replayability and makes revisits fun.

I dunno, I think I completed most shrines in the way they totally weren't intended because I'm a dumbass.

Like early on I tried the shrine in Lake Hylia where you have to use two bombs in tandem.

Because I'm a dumbass and forgot you could use a square bomb and a round bomb at the same time I had no idea how to actually progress. So I left the shrine for later.

I returned with bomb arrows and went mental and the shrine was a doddle but I still felt good about it because I'd done it my way.

Last edited:

dtc

I dunno, I think I completed most shrines in the way they totally weren't intended because I'm a dumbass.

Like early on I tried the shrine in Lake Hylia where you have to use two bombs in tandem.

Because I' a dumbass and forgot you could use a square bomb and a round bomb at the same time I had no idea how to actually progress. So I left the shrine for later.

I returned with bomb arrows and went mental and the shrine was a doddle but I still felt good about it because I'd done it my way.
I remember that on the satori mountain shrine there was a platform i couldnt reach by jumping so i shield jumped to it, the problem was that my shield was low on durability so it broke and i fell to the void. And worst of all, after falling i remembered that i could have just unequiped my shield on midair and it wouldn't have broken... big facepalm to me.

dtc

Hi, I'm gonna ask another unrelated question because i feel unnecesary to make another thread. Basically I have noticed that things like campfires, some chests or items disappear after save and reload. Why does this happen? Is it because the console doest have enough memory to "remember" that there was something there? I'm on wiiu btw, if that solves something.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Hi, I'm gonna ask another unrelated question because i feel unnecesary to make another thread. Basically I have noticed that things like campfires, some chests or items disappear after save and reload. Why does this happen? Is it because the console doest have enough memory to "remember" that there was something there? I'm on wiiu btw, if that solves something.

Presumably you mean Campfires you've made or Chests you've either spawned in via Amiibo or found in the field? I assume it's something to with the memory, just wipes them to make it smoother on loading

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Its not a memory thing. It does that on Switch too. Things like that, that aren't fixed in the environment, disappear if you get too far away. Saving and reloading is treated the same as going too far away. It's a result of that function.

dtc

Nice. Aso what do you guys think it's the best use for korok seeds? Like upgrrading the inventory evenly, focusing on one section or something between those? Rn i am getting my weapon inventory to max and then im not sure what to do, since i dont really need much shields and anyways 3/4 of my bow inventory is savage lynel bows so another savage bow feels pretty unnecessary.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Hey. Game design hobbyist/enthusiast here. Maybe I can offer some insight on the "too many skips" thing.

Breath of the Wild is zelda's take on "emergent gameplay", a concept I went a bit into depth in on my blog review of skyward sword (you can find that here)

Basically, Breath of the Wild's physics engine is a set of rules that objects follow, and the developers don't necessarily have the time to test every single ruleset in conjunction with every single object. So players will always run into what you're referring to here as a "skip". Sometimes it may seem unintended because of how easy the game makes it, but if you look at Breath of the Wild's design philosophy, there's a pretty clear roadblock: You have to make every shrine a singular puzzle. Any prerequisite to a shrine breaks the open world progression and introduces linearity, which is exactly not what the developers were trying to do.

Essentially, shrines as a bare minimum need to be completeable with objects inside the shrine or with the sheikah slate, so it's likely that developers spent very little time testing alternative solutions. In this exact case, yes, they very likely knew there was a simpler option available to a majority of players, but you have to keep in mind that every shrine could be somebody's first (fifth) shrine. That's literally not something they had the time or resources to do anything about.

Hopefully this clears things up. And it's totally okay if this isn't the kind of puzzle solving you prefer. It's not exactly my cup of tea either, but there are already games for us :p (I'm hoping beyond hope that more come my way).

~~~
As for korok seeds- you can already see that they have diminishing returns (it's upwards of fifty per inventory slot at some point), so it's a good idea to use some korok seeds to expand bow and shield slots. But I think you're right to be favoring weaponry, as that gets used the most. Bows have absurdly high durability as well, but if you take on guardians by reflecting their shots with parries and you suck like me it's a good idea to have a few extra inventory slots for both shields and korok seeds.

Reactions: dtc

dtc

Thank you @Moe the Moblin, that certainly would have taken you so long to type lol. Another question is, can you access the korok trrial shrines without doing the trials? Or that fog thing doesn't allow you to?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Thank you @Moe the Moblin, that certainly would have taken you so long to type lol. Another question is, can you access the korok trrial shrines without doing the trials? Or that fog thing doesn't allow you to?

If you know the path then yes the Korok trials are wholly unnecessary. But that don't get you completetion points

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom