• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will you be buying the Sword and Shield expansion pass?

Instead of releasing a third/updated version like Platinum or Ultra Sun & Moon, GameFreak are going to release a two part expansion pass for Pokemon Sword and Shield.

The first part will be available in June and the second will be available in the fall/autumn.

Both parts include new locations to explore which will operate like Sw/Sh's wild area. 100+ returning Pokemon will return for each part and will include new regional forms and Gigantamax forms.

The pass is $29.99 for America and £26.99 in the UK.

Will you be buying the expansion pass?

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Probably, it's better than a fake sequel/remake that barely updates anything *cough* USUM *cough*

I mean I had fun with those games but they could have done more with them.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Definately gonna get them aside from the 200 pokemone being supposedly added i quite enjoyed how the Wild Area functioned and having two more maps like it makes me happy

Though anyone else notice that Calyrex seems a lil similar to Digimon Tamers Calumon?

I was called out as the cynic for complaining about their pricing on this, but if I have the money I might get it at some point. It depends, though I'm likely not prepurchasing it.

GameFreak had to have been well aware of the criticism for selling a 40 dollar game for 60 dollars, and should have put that into account when pricing the expansion pass. If this amount of content is 30, then why is the original game 60? This presumably has more bulk than the base game. Balance it out, man. And say what you will about the Ultra versions, but 80 dollars for the vanilla and ultra version combined seemingly has more content than Sword & Shield + expansion, which is gonna be 90.

rip eternatus

The only thing stopping me from buying the base game was the lack of Absol and Furret. If the DLC has those 2, then sure. I'll have to save up for a bit though...
Not a fan of the fact that the one pack is called Isle of Armor, not Isle of Armour. It's the UK region, for god's sake :dry:
I do like the white cliffs though, it feels sorta familiar :^^:

I could have sworn they said "we won't be adding any of the missing Pokemon with DLC or an update" though...

Ninja

Well well well
$30 is worth it for the dojo outfits alone, those are amazing. This is actually exciting, and I'll definitely be picking this up.

$30 is worth it for the dojo outfits alone, those are amazing. This is actually exciting, and I'll definitely be picking this up.
The content looks really nice from what they've shown for sure. If I get it, I am gonna catch Deoxys and name it Xenforo 2.

It makes me wonder what they could've done with the extra year of development though. Since both of these will be put before the year anniversary of the base game's release.

Ninja

Well well well
The content looks really nice from what they've shown for sure. If I get it, I am gonna catch Deoxys and name it Xenforo 2.

It makes me wonder what they could've done with the extra year of development though. Since both of these will be put before the year anniversary of the base game's release.

I wish they could give us a Platinum remake already, my body is ready.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Absolutely not.
I wasn't overly thrilled with Sword. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either so I'm not spending even more money on a company that doesn't care.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I am undecided at this point, though I'm leaning towards yes. I am interested by what they showed in the Direct, and hey, my friends are excited for it so that also helps.

I won't be buying the expansion pass, I don't even think I'd accept someone buying it for me either because I'm not sure I'd want to waste the memory space on my Switch.

Twenty years I waited for a UK inspired region for Pokemon, and not only did it end up being the first original, core, home console, HD adventure in the series, it also ended up being the worst Pokemon generation I have ever played, and now also the most expensive.

Sword and Shield were a miserable experience.

For me, the new Pokemon weren't great, the story was threadbare and it made the development team seem apathetic and uncaring.
Towns had barely any content and there was even less content in the routes connecting them, the Dynamax gimmick is awful and there was no reason to cut so many Pokemon.
The visuals were terrible in most places with no attention to detail, the amount of bugs and bizarre Pokemon behaviour in the Wild Area is astounding and the optimisation is just terrible across the entire game.

So why then would I pay for more of that? Especially at such a hefty price?

The Direct made it look like the expansion was bursting with content, but I'm not so sure that it will be.
They didn't announce a patch to fix the visuals or optimisation of the game and with these new locations in the expansion operating like full Wild Areas then surely they're just going to be full of pop in and bad textures and bizarre Pokemon behaviour, just like the base game.

Plus, with Galar feeling so vacant and empty and lacking in content, it makes me feel as if these areas should have been part of the base game.
If there were two more substantial locations that were full Wild Areas with more Pokemon that weren't on the mainland with stories of their own then I could have forgiven the base story a little bit for being lacking...

But they're charging us for it instead. We've never had legacy Pokemon sold back to us before and here we have it; cut Pokemon now come at a price, and even then the game still won't have all of them, we'd still be missing around 300.

The fact they will be out within the year too, makes me feel as if they held this content back just to sell it as DLC. The Pokemon that will be added in the expansion were in the base game's code.
The games released in November and we'll have a whole new region with a story and new and old Pokemon ready to play by June?

I'm sympathetic to the deadlines GF must face at the demands of TPC but hire more staff to negate those time constraints (because they can damn sure afford to).

If you want us to pay for more content then you need to make sure that the base game is something worth adding to, and right now, for me, Sword and Shield just aren't worth adding to.

I got my copy of Shield at a low price because I split the cost a few ways and share a copy with others and I still feel short changed.
I'd have been happy if GF had announced a patch alongside the expansion pass to punch up the base game.
A patch that made things look better, add some QoL enhancements, update the visuals, make the draw distance better, improve the bahviour of the Pokemon in the Wild area, make the battle backgrounds actually match the location you're actually in for god sake...

But no, pay half the price of the game again for what will probably be more ugly, threadbare, poorly optimised adventures in Galar (which don't really even look Galarian) with features and Pokemon that should have been in the game from the beginning....

Just, no...

@Spirit from the sounds of it, you don't have to have purchased the expansion in order to transfer the pokemon being added, so I guess indirectly they're not charging for that, but Pokemon Bank or Home or whatever costs money I'm sure. I haven't really been following it because its like A MAGICAL PHONE APP that isn't going to be compatible with my phone so I don't care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom