• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Book Recommendations Needed ^^'

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Kurt Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse-Five) and Ray Bradbury (Farenheit 451, the Martian Chronicles) are both amazing American authors who only passed away in the last 15 years or so. They're both among my favorites and their works have stuck with me quite a bit.

Of the above listed 4 books, Slaughterhouse-Five is about war (WWII), although it's science fiction as well.

In terms of short stories, Edgar Allen Poe and HP Lovecraft were both extremely prolific and talented horror authors. I'd highly suggest both of their works if you ever feel like something short.

As far as other assorted American classics go that many of us Americans read in highschool or middle school, there's always the Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men, The Catcher in the Rye, and Catch-22, all of which I enjoyed. Catch-22 is about war, specifically about the absurdity of it.

---

As an aside, I'm also curious if you've read the Millennium trilogy, which is Swedish and is probably my favorite book series.

Reactions: Pen

Pen

The game is on!
I've never read the novel, but I've seen the film; check out Dune by Frank Herbert and see if it interests you. It's science fiction but it has like an intergalactic war type theme where different planets are waging war against each other over control of one planet that produces a highly addictive drug. It's not entirely about war, but it has that undertone.

I would recommend the red wall series.
It's a world in which mice, squirrels, otters, moles, and shrews are good guys who live in an Abbey. The vermins such as rats, weasels, ferrets and stoats are bad guys who are pirates and plunderers. In each book these vermin pose a threat in one way or other.
The story revolves mostly in Warfare and Guerrilla.
Though it seems childish, I read it till now. And therefore I recommend it.

Secondly I would like to recommend Alex Rider series which involves MI6 making a teen do their jobs for them,mostly spying.

I personally quite like the Fleet of Worlds series by Larry Niven and Edward M. Lerner, but a fair few of the references make a lot more sense if you've read any of the other books in the Known Space setting.

The books aren't about war explicitly, but there's a fair bit of political maneuvering (and the second or third book in the series involves the characters trying to route a fleet of Slower-Than-Light warships that threaten their worlds), so it might fit your bill.

Kurt Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse-Five) and Ray Bradbury (Farenheit 451, the Martian Chronicles) are both amazing American authors who only passed away in the last 15 years or so. They're both among my favorites and their works have stuck with me quite a bit.

Of the above listed 4 books, Slaughterhouse-Five is about war (WWII), although it's science fiction as well.

In terms of short stories, Edgar Allen Poe and HP Lovecraft were both extremely prolific and talented horror authors. I'd highly suggest both of their works if you ever feel like something short.

As far as other assorted American classics go that many of us Americans read in highschool or middle school, there's always the Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men, The Catcher in the Rye, and Catch-22, all of which I enjoyed. Catch-22 is about war, specifically about the absurdity of it.

Thank you all very much for all the suggestions! Now I've got plenty to choose from. :)

As an aside, I'm also curious if you've read the Millennium trilogy, which is Swedish and is probably my favorite book series.

Of course I know of it, but I honestly haven't really read any regular novels in probably about seven years, so I think I've got a lot to catch up on :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom