• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
The technicality is that it's circumstantial. Octopi is the plural if the individuals are of the same species of octopus. Octopuses refers to individuals of multiple species. The same goes for fish and fishes.
Well, there are three plurals of octopus.

Octopi, which stems from the idea that Latin words should have Latin endings. Even though octopus is a Greek word, though Latinized.

Octopuses, which stems from the idea that English words should have English endings.

Octopodes, which stems from the idea that Greek words should have Greek endings.

But I like your idea, better. I've always referred to two individuals of the same species of octopus as "octopi" and multiple species of octopus as "octopuses."

Point is, English is funny.

Well, there are three plurals of octopus.

Octopi, which stems from the idea that Latin words should have Latin endings. Even though octopus is a Greek word, though Latinized.

Octopuses, which stems from the idea that English words should have English endings.

Octopodes, which stems from the idea that Greek words should have Greek endings.

But I like your idea, better. I've always referred to two individuals of the same species of octopus as "octopi" and multiple species of octopus as "octopuses."

Point is, English is funny.
English is just dumb.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Why is the plural of "goose," "geese," but the plural of "moose," is "moose"?

Also, why is the plural of "box," "boxes," but the plural of "ox," is "oxen"?

****ing hell English, you're drunk.
English is just multiple languages in a trench coat pretending to be one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom