• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Have Recent Zeldas Disappointed You? Thats Your Fault

The disappointment is our fault? Can't really agree. You're right in that our opinions are our own, and someone else isn't responsible for them. Yet at the same time, if they create something like the Zelda series, and they make something worse or different, they are responsible because they created those expectations. You don't follow something up with something worse. You improve.

It's up to debate about the quality of the recent Zelda games. I personally perceive them as lesser in quality and work put into them than previous games. And I am not talking about the handheld ones only. In fact, I'm mostly referring to games like Twilight Princess or The Wind Waker. Despite my thoughts on this, it is just my opinion. Something that is not an opinion, however, is how different they are from previous games. Be definition, people will expect what they've gotten, and if that is not given to them they will be disappointed. That is not their fault. And this pertains especially to the DS Zelda games which are incredibly linear.

No one expects the handheld games to be as great as the console games. By definition they will not be. But the quality in comparison to the technology they're using should be the same, as should the work put into it. Previous handheld games were superior, and even match the console games in many regards.

I just think you're kind of missing where everyone's coming from, Dragmire. ;)

The disappointment is our fault? Can't really agree. You're right in that our opinions are our own, and someone else isn't responsible for them. Yet at the same time, if they create something like the Zelda series, and they make something worse or different, they are responsible because they created those expectations. You don't follow something up with something worse. You improve.

It's up to debate about the quality of the recent Zelda games. I personally perceive them as lesser in quality and work put into them than previous games. And I am not talking about the handheld ones only. In fact, I'm mostly referring to games like Twilight Princess or The Wind Waker. Despite my thoughts on this, it is just my opinion. Something that is not an opinion, however, is how different they are from previous games. Be definition, people will expect what they've gotten, and if that is not given to them they will be disappointed. That is not their fault. And this pertains especially to the DS Zelda games which are incredibly linear.

No one expects the handheld games to be as great as the console games. By definition they will not be. But the quality in comparison to the technology they're using should be the same, as should the work put into it. Previous handheld games were superior, and even match the console games in many regards.

I just think you're kind of missing where everyone's coming from, Dragmire. ;)

i dunno i might be talking complete crap here, but to me, TPs disappointment came more from the fact that the zelda series has ridiculously high, impossible to reach standards that will almost never be reached by any zelda game.

Epona

Ordon Village
I was always disappointed when a handheld Zelda game came out, because I was never interested in playing a game, any game, on a tiny little screen. I like my nice 42 inch television. That's how I want to play games. So yes, I'm missing out on some of the Zelda games, but I'm picky I guess. I wish they were available for download on the wii so that people like me could actually play those games without having to buy a whole different game system to play them on. :mad:

Personally, I never set high standards for PH, all I knew about it before I played it was that it was more puzzle based and was Cel-shaded. This lowered the standards I set for it based upon how fun the other Zelda games were greatly, when I first played it I got bored and turned it off, then when I went to play my DS other games were in favour of other games that were challenging but fun, which PH is neither of. The only time I've ever managed to play the game was because I went on a school trip and a friend happened to take his DS and Phantom Hourglass, so once he beat it I asked if I could play it on the way home from France to England, it was just something to play that was slightly better than being bored.

Even by my lowered standards, Phatom Hourglass failed to achieve them and disappointed me, I imagined that Spirit Tracks would be exactly the same, so I've avoided that game all together (although I'm sure Steve would object to me doing so), I personally believe that Phantom Hourglass single handedly has greatly lowered the standards set by me for future hand held Zelda games.

I just doesn't compare to the other Zelda games I've played, being Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (although I've barely played Wind Waker). I'm only going to stick to main platform Zelda's (unless it gets to the point where I get bored or find the game rediculously easy, then the result of which would me losing faith in the Zelda series later games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom