• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Nier: Automata - 10/10.

I finished it yesterday and I still feel like I've been run over by a truck. The game, at it's core, already has some very interesting thematics - like, what if machines have feelings, and what makes you you (is it you as in your consciousness and your sense of self or the body you inhabit) - but it just never stops. The first ending is in and of itself a very beautiful construction of this narrative with a satisfying payoff. But through ending B, C, D and E, it just goes nuts in a way I adore so much, and wishes that more games had the audacity to do and to pull off.

The game is so desperately tragic, and does tragedy as a genre justice. The way it entangles it's themes into big philosophical conundrums speaks so much to me, and hits so close home. It stops being a story about androids vs machines and goes big into explaining how utterly pointless existence itself is.

The world building is sublime, the fighting is fantastic and it has all the good aspects of open world RPG baked into it. Oh, and I love the schmup sections and the way the break up the moment-to-moment fighting.

The hacking is another thing that I adore. Not only is it an amazing complement to the rest of the game with it's jaw-droppingly stylistic tapestry of 8-bit goodness, but it's also used as a fantastic way of telling it's story. The sequences where you are inside the protagonist's own OS-systems are so good. So awesome. Such an elegant way of using the game medium itself to deliver important plot points and emotional blows.

It wouldn't be tragedy without love though. And countering it's existentialistic pondering is feelings. The plot lives and dies with the main characters actually breaking out of their fates as androids and care about each other. The concept of the consciousness of machines and androids is real enough to get you engrossed and invested. But what makes the game truly soar for me is the simple fact that 9S initially just really enjoyed having some company. And wouldn't stop calling her 'ma'am'.

Over all, Nier: Automata is a game that lives up to, and proudly carries, the word "masterpiece".
Play it. Now.

Last edited:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
STREET FIGHTER V: ARCADE EDITION:

Solid 9/10.

The gameplay, as per usual of the Street Fighter series, is top notch and a joy to play, the graphics are nicely stylized, and might be the most balanced Street Fighter game in my experience, being a player since the first game in the arcades.

However, the only thing stopping me from giving it a perfect 10, is that a lot of the stages, characters, and costumes are stuck behind paywalls. Annoying, really. Especially the characters, as I love a full roster in a fighting game.

Of course, I play the PC version, as I don't believe in paying for a feature that should be included for free in the first place. That feature of course being online multiplayer. That and playing at 1440p is amazing.

Another thing I would like to see is an unlocked framerate. The game is locked to 60 fps, and I'd love to play this game at 144 fps, like my monitor easily allows me to do.

But the gameplay is so strong, that I have to rate it at least a 9. Having every stage, character, and costume purchasable through Fight Money (free in-game currency), and an unlocked framerate would let me rate it as the perfect fighting game.

Akuma, Ken, Guile, and Sagat are my bois!

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

This is the best Digimon game ever made and it's a damn fine JRPG in its own right. It takes the best parts of Persona and takes away all of the stress.
Newcomers to Digimon need not worry about being uninitiated because Cyber Sleuth is set in its own universe with its own rules.
The main campaign will take 40 hours and then there are dozens upon dozens of sidequests, post game content and a generois new game plus.
The story is compelling and the characters are written well, they'll see you through to the end comfortably.

I played on PS4 but the game with all of its DLC and the sequel are coming to Switch in October for the price of one.

Get it!

10/10

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Undertale. 10/10

My 4th favorite game of all time. I can't believe that a game that looks like it was made in MS Paint have such an engrossing story, world and characters. It just proves the power that games has in creating emotions through mechanics to the point where graphics just don't matter. I love this game so much. I'll use the word for the second time in this thread - masterpiece. <3

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Link's Awakening DX. 8/10

It's a good old fashioned 2D Zelda, and a classic for sure! There isn't much to complain about aside from some instances where it re-uses the same mini-bosses and I'd like to have seen different ones. Overall, great game, go buy the remake for Switch next month!

Last game I played (that wasn't Overwatch) was Alien Isolation. I would give it a solid 8/10. 9s are reserved for stuff like The Last of Us, and 10s are for God.

I believe the last game I played was Fallout 4. Solid 7/10. Good first playthrough, gets a bit repetitive.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Metal Gear Solid 3d

this is an amazingly competent port, it has a lot going for it but it also has a lot going against it, namely that it strips certain features from the PS2 subsistence version while at the same time adding some notable gameplay enhancements: mainly the third person aiming for weapons and crouch walking; and of course the touch screen menus

honestly, I'd mostly just recommend this if a 3ds is the only system you have that MGS3 is available on, b/c at the end of the day, I'd still probably go for the hd or subsistence versions, but even so it's easily one of the best games on 3ds...just for the fact that it's MGS3

also I played on a standard 3ds w/ no circle pad, so I have to imagine the game plays even better w/ a second stick via a circle pad or new 3ds

Blade Strangers - 7/10
Solange, Shovel Knight, Gunvolt, Quote Isaac and more star in this 2D indie all-star fighter from Nicalis. Nice chunky sprites, simple mechanics and a humerous story make this a good time killer for fans of any of the guest characters and 2D fighters.

Code of Princess EX - 7/10
A Double Dragon style beat em up that uses Phantom Overdrive Battlegrounds style lanes in a fantasy setting. It can feel a little clunky or slow in the beginning and the story is a lot of nothing but it is a fun way to kill some timw regardless.

Astral Chain - Pending
I'm 5 hours in and oh my god this game js better than i could have imagined and I was expecting a lot from it to begin with. Holy damn.
I wanna get the story and learn more of the mechanics and see the endgame in full flow with everything available to me, but my god, this is looking like a solid GOTY.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Doom (2016) - 9/10

I probably have already reviewed this game, but it was the last one I played, and everything about this game was first rate.

• The gameplay mechanics are profoundly intuitive.
  • The graphics are absolutely gorgeous.
  • The gunplay is absolutely fantastic, and each gun has a satisfying sense of impact.
  • The AI is really good and the demons are a legitimate threat.
  • The game is optimized really well, as I'm running on Nightmare settings at 1440p at 144 frames per second with nary a drop below 90 fps. It also runs extremely well on other platforms, which speaks volumes of id Software's ingenuity.
  • Doomguy himself is highly relatable despite the fact he doesn't say a word, but he speaks through his actions.
  • The story and lore, funnily enough for a Doom game, is actually really well written.
  • The level design is first rate, as each level contains loads of secrets, and offers a challenge in and of itself.
  • The game difficulty is tough, but fair.
  • The combat is fast-paced and smooth.
  • The 6.66 update made all in game DLC completely free.
Now the reason I didn't give it a perfect ten, even though it is deserving of it, is for this reason, the Switch port has some technical issues, which even though I play it on PC, the technical issues on the Switch are enough for me to call the Switch port unplayable; and it's missing key aspects of the full game like Snap Map.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Grand Theft Auto V was a really fun game, ending was kinda anti-climactic compared to other gta final missions, but even so I had a blast throughout and its probably among my favorites, I do wish they never got rid of the pay n spray though

Quin

Disaster Master
Daemon x machina. What a great game. I havn't even touched much of the online. Best Switch game of the year for me so far 8,5/10

Daemon x machina. What a great game. I havn't even touched much of the online. Best Switch game of the year for me so far 8,5/10

I'm really torn on getting this. I'm a mech fan and the game looks intriguing. I've tried the latest demo and thought it was only okay. But I've seen some really cool stuff later on.

Is the demo a good indication of the game going forward with as much as you've played?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom