• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hypothetically, could a Zelda game with no dungeons at all become your favorite ever?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
This question came to me when pondering one of the most common criticisms against Breath of the Wild - the lack of 'traditional' dungeons.

To some people, dungeons are one of the, if not THE, thing that makes the Zelda series so special to them.
So, hypotheically. Let's say a Zelda game comes out, that has no dungeons at all. It has all of the other core components - key items, a rich, lore-heavy story, gorgeous artstyle - but dungeons are out of the picture.

Could such a game have the potential of becoming your all-time favorite?

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
yeah, they might include many side quests like SKYRIM !!
That is what LoZ is evolving into acc. to me.
Many like the traditional and classic zelda games. but I am the other way around.
The newer versions are more favourite to me for eg. I've played Oot,BotW(only some parts in friend's console) , TP & SS.
My favourites go in the order of release.
Oot< T P< SS< Botw

I much prefer the dungeons, without them the game was way too easy... what happened to the good old days where you have to figure stuff out on your own...
Don't worry a lot of side quest like on sky rim will let yer brains twisted

Dungeon-less games, and games that throw all the items at you at the beginning are garbage. That feeling of exploring a dungeon, getting the Item exclusive to it, solving puzzles with it, and beating it's Boss with it, is a wonderful feeling. Stripping that down makes it open world trash. We dont need to become Skyrim or anything of the like.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Dungeon-less games, and games that throw all the items at you at the beginning are garbage. That feeling of exploring a dungeon, getting the Item exclusive to it, solving puzzles with it, and beating it's Boss with it, is a wonderful feeling. Stripping that down makes it open world trash. We dont need to become Skyrim or anything of the like.
open world games are great!!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It depends. I definitely enjoy delving into ruins and solving puzzles for sure, and while BotW had less of that in the traditional sense, it still became my favorite game ever, and there were still tons of puzzle opportunities in the game that I enjoyed. I think a Zelda game that focused on environmental puzzles as you make your way through its world could be an interesting change of pace. SS had some of that and I really enjoyed that, so seeing that brought to a new level would be great. I don't know if it'd become my favorite, but if it's done right I could definitely see myself enjoying it.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Um i dont think id enjoy it cuz you have the dungeon but if you get stuck you can go escape and explore the world...

It depends. I definitely enjoy delving into ruins and solving puzzles for sure, and while BotW had less of that in the traditional sense, it still became my favorite game ever, and there were still tons of puzzle opportunities in the game that I enjoyed. I think a Zelda game that focused on environmental puzzles as you make your way through its world could be an interesting change of pace. SS had some of that and I really enjoyed that, so seeing that brought to a new level would be great. I don't know if it'd become my favorite, but if it's done right I could definitely see myself enjoying it.

See BotW wasn't bad, but wandering into the middle of nowhere just to find a korok and two or three enemies is boring.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
people hate dungeons?!?!
I'm on the same boat as spirit, it ain't freaking fun wandering around aimless at some temple or whatever for who knows how long just b/c you're stumped on some puzzle you can't figure out, or you're missing a key, or there's a room you haven't been into and don't realize, or the lakebed temple is the worst atrocity nintendo has ever done prior to e3 2015

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom