• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heights of LoZ characters?

Sesshowmall

Height Scaler
Maybe they d0nt use metres in Hyrule and its some other measurement like link is 5migs and 7tead??
I know you're kidding but just to be precise, the Scientist from the Lakeside Laboratory states meter. :vaati:

Regarding the sources, I follow the canon rule here:

1. Whatever is stated to be, has occurred, or happened in the original source material is canon. In this case, the games are canon.
  2. Whatever the developers or writers say is canon is canon. In this case, whatever the Zelda team care to expand on can be taken as canon
  3. Whatever is in the official sources or guidebooks has canonicity. In this case, Hyrule Historia can be considered canon.
  4. Whatever contradicts the original source material isn't canon.
Therefore, in my view, the games supersede Hyrule Historia in this instance.
It's a good point.

There are TWO scenarios that contradict each other:

In the FIRST OoT Link is 5'7 or 1.7 m tall according to the Lakeside Laboratory Scale.
View attachment 40205

Applying this value to the screenshot, Ganondorf is exactly 8' or 2.44 m tall.

HOWEVER... in the SECOND scenario Hyrule Historia claims Ganondorf to be 7'7 or 2.3 m tall.
View attachment 40206

Comparing the models above, that would reduce OoT Link size to 1.6 m or 5'3.
It's a PARADOX, both sources are official in their own way but they can't coexist.

TWILIGHT PRINCESS
View attachment 40207

Scenario 1: Ganondorf is 8'. TP Link is 4'8 or 1.43 m tall.

Scenario 2: Ganondorf is 7'7. TP Link is 4'5 or 1.35 m tall.

If we RETCON Ganondorf and consider TP Link to follow OoT heights, that would change things as well.

Scenario 1: TP Link is 5'7. Ganondorf is 9'6 or 2.9 m tall.

Scenario 2: TP Link is 5'3. Ganondorf is 8'11 or 2.73 m tall.

And that brings another PARADOX: TP Link is shorter than OoT Link or TP Ganondorf is taller than OoT Ganondorf? :shrug:

To be honest, I'm more willing to trust the diving scale measurement as it uses meters, something which we have in the real world, and considering the average Japanese man is 5'7 as well, I think it's a bit of poetic coincidence making Link that tall himself. I reckon that Link in Twilight Princess may also follow this trend, but the game is like what, 100-300 years of time in the future? Surely Hylians must have gotten taller, right? So, let's add an inch to Twilight Princess Hylians, so TP Link could be 5'8, but no less than 5'7.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
To be honest, I'm more willing to trust the diving scale measurement as it uses meters, something which we have in the real world, and considering the average Japanese man is 5'7 as well, I think it's a bit of poetic coincidence making Link that tall himself. I reckon that Link in Twilight Princess may also follow this trend, but the game is like what, 100-300 years of time in the future? Surely Hylians must have gotten taller, right? So, let's add an inch to Twilight Princess Hylians, so TP Link could be 5'8, but no less than 5'7.
Then what's going on with Ganon? TP Link can't be that close to the hero of time's height unless Ganondorf suddenly grew even larger.

Then what's going on with Ganon? TP Link can't be that close to the hero of time's height unless Ganondorf suddenly grew even larger.

Well, I think the height difference would still work out if TP Link is as tall as OoT Link. Link is looking at Ganondorf's chest area in Twilight Princess.

There's also this which shows the difference between 5'7 and 7'7. That's a good 2ft of difference.

Then there's also this artwork, which I know isn't canon to the game, but it illustrates the same difference of height. So, I don't think Ganondorf is any taller or shorter than you're making him out to be. Link has gotta be 5'7 across the board as a teenager.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 4.28.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 4.28.21 PM.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 6
  • __ganondorf_and_link_the_legend_of_zelda_twilight_princess_and_etc_drawn_by_hakobe_ichiru__2bd...jpg
    __ganondorf_and_link_the_legend_of_zelda_twilight_princess_and_etc_drawn_by_hakobe_ichiru__2bd...jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 10

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well, I think the height difference would still work out if TP Link is as tall as OoT Link. Link is looking at Ganondorf's chest area in Twilight Princess.

There's also this which shows the difference between 5'7 and 7'7. That's a good 2ft of difference.

Then there's also this artwork, which I know isn't canon to the game, but it illustrates the same difference of height. So, I don't think Ganondorf is any taller or shorter than you're making him out to be. Link has gotta be 5'7 across the board as a teenager.
That artwork is completely wrong. You have been shown the character models from Twilight Princess which shows link is at Ganondorfs waist height and does not come anywhere near his chest.

latest

The sword of the sages is also quite a bit taller than link in BoTW and he wields it two handed so he is likely of a similar height to TP link
ayxGxQp_700b.jpg

Last edited:
That artwork is completely wrong. You have been shown the character models from Twilight Princess which shows link is at Ganondorfs waist height and does not come anywhere near his chest.

latest

The sword of the sages is also quite a bit taller than link in BoTW and he wields it two handed so he is likely of a similar height to TP link
ayxGxQp_700b.jpg

I'd be inclined to agree with you but I fully believe that those models have been elongated. In-game, Link is nowhere close to being at Ganondorf's waist area. In fact his head lines up with Ganondorf's chest. So, I don't know what you're talking about. He's not THAT short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom