• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Pearl and Marina still be the MCs for Splatoon 3?

Pearl and Marina replaced Callie and Marie in Splatoon 2 as the game's main MCs of Inkolpolis, Marie and Callie were still present but were more involved within the game's campaign.

I had assumed that Pearl and Marina would be replaced with another duo for Splatoon 3 but now I'm not so sure...

Do you think Pearl and Marina will stay as the MC of Inkopolis as they have been in Splatoon 2 in Splatoon 3?

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
From the final splatfest dialogue I could see Pearl and Marina sticking around for 3 but maybe changing things up a bit. The Squid Sisters in 1 were more of a pop group, and Off the Hook is more hip hop. I think it's more about changing the style of music rather than the characters. So maybe Off the Hook will just explore a different genre.

Personally I wouldn't be upset if they had the Squid Sisters join Off the Hook as the hosts. Not sure how it would work for splatfests and such, but it would be interesting seeing the two groups together.

My main worry with two new characters is that they perfected it with Squid Sisters and Off the Hook. So I'm not sure if they'd be able to go 3 for 3 and give us another duo that is just as amazing.

I hope so.
The Squid Sisters were well done. Made the game have a Japanese feel to it. Quirky and amazing.

Off the Hook felt like Nintendo was pandering to the western gamers to get more sales. Nintendo knew the Japanese would buy Splatoon 2 regardless to they pushed for more western sales. In my opinion this backfired as the sequel (in name only) lost much of the quirky Japanese feel of the original.

I hope a new duo host Splatoon 3.
Nintendo probably will not reuse the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook butchered the feel of the game by their inclusion.
So the only answer is new hosts for the next game.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I hope so.
The Squid Sisters were well done. Made the game have a Japanese feel to it. Quirky and amazing.

Off the Hook felt like Nintendo was pandering to the western gamers to get more sales. Nintendo knew the Japanese would buy Splatoon 2 regardless to they pushed for more western sales. In my opinion this backfired as the sequel (in name only) lost much of the quirky Japanese feel of the original.

I hope a new duo host Splatoon 3.
Nintendo probably will not reuse the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook butchered the feel of the game by their inclusion.
So the only answer is new hosts for the next game.

I'm sorry but this is absolutely ridiculous. Lol.

Nintendo was not pandering to the west with Off the Hook. You realize that there are multiple bands of different genres in the Splatoon universe, right? And it's not like Japan can't like rappers/DJs. Not to mention all the songs are gibberish and don't sound feel super dissimilar.

No one cares about how Japanese the hosts feel (except you apparently). And either way the sequel still has much of the same feel. You know why? Because of Pearl and Marina's personalities and connection. It's very much like Callie and Marie's was. It's crazy to think a game isn't good because it's not "Japanese enough" when the only difference is a genre of music.

The Persona games also cycle through different genres as their main style for a game. And Persona 3 was even mostly rap. So it's not unrealistic to think that Japanese people might like different kinds of music instead of just the quirky pop you seem to think.

Nintendo was not pandering to the west with Off the Hook. You realize that there are multiple bands of different genres in the Splatoon universe, right? And it's not like Japan can't like rappers/DJs. Not to mention all the songs are gibberish and don't sound feel super dissimilar.
There is more to the splat fest hosts than just the music. Look at the whole picture.

No one cares about how Japanese the hosts feel (except you apparently).
A lot of people do actually. Most people I know are totally ok with Splatoon 2 having less of a Japenese feel. Of cause that's their opinion and they are entitled to it. My point is many people have noticed this difference. Some people like the shift in Splatoon 2, some people do not. Just differing opinions.

It's crazy to think a game isn't good because it's not "Japanese enough" when the only difference is a genre of music.
Firstly I didn't say the game was not good enough. I just said the new hosts totally changed how the game felt in many ways. I did say I didn't like the new hosts. That doesn't mean I think the game is bad. Splatoon 2 is a good game. I really liked it's single player modes and the multiplayer is fun too. The splatfest hosts themselves (ie not their music, I mean the characters themselves don't play that much of a role. You see them for a bit and then you are into matches or single player for hours on end).
Secondly, there's more to the hosts than just the music as mentioned above.

The Persona games also cycle through different genres as their main style for a game. And Persona 3 was even mostly rap. So it's not unrealistic to think that Japanese people might like different kinds of music instead of just the quirky pop you seem to think.
Persona is no different. Each game differes in many different ways. Music is only one of the ways each game differs. My opinion is Persona looks at what is considered modern culture, visually, musically and socially and blends that into a game. That's exactly why P4 is all about digital TV as that was the new thing back then and P5 is all about smart phones as everyone has one now. I'm very sure P3, P2 and P1 are just as rooted in the culture and society of the time they were developed as well.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
There is more to the splat fest hosts than just the music. Look at the whole picture.

I'm not sure why they don't feel Japanese enough to you besides their music then. Like I said, they're basically very similar to Callie and Marie except for their music personas.

A lot of people do actually. Most people I know are totally ok with Splatoon 2 having less of a Japenese feel. Of cause that's their opinion and they are entitled to it. My point is many people have noticed this difference. Some people like the shift in Splatoon 2, some people do not. Just differing opinions.

I've never seen anyone complain that the hosts don't feel Japanese enough. Sure some people may not like one of Pearl or Marina's personality (just like with Callie or Marie), but I've never seen anyone but you say that they didn't have a Japanese feel and were pandering to the west.

Firstly I didn't say the game was not good enough. I just said the new hosts totally changed how the game felt in many ways. I did say I didn't like the new hosts. That doesn't mean I think the game is bad. Splatoon 2 is a good game. I really liked it's single player modes and the multiplayer is fun too. The splatfest hosts themselves (ie not their music, I mean the characters themselves don't play that much of a role. You see them for a bit and then you are into matches or single player for hours on end).
Secondly, there's more to the hosts than just the music as mentioned above.

Again, you're not explaining how they're so different to cause such a huge shift in the feel of the game. You literally said they butchered the feel of the game by their inclusion. That's pretty strong wording/feeling about characters that you seem to say don't even have that big of an impact. In what ways did they butcher your "quirky Japanese" game?

Also, the feel of the game is very much the same. I don't get how you can say the hosts don't have much impact yet their inclusion makes the game feel different to you.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I hope we get some new DJs but that they stick around. Maybe do it like an actual radio where the DJs have shifts and bring back the Squid Sisters (either together or solo).

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I had a thought
nintendo dressed em as biggie and tupac (look them up)
and the final splatfest had dialogue jokingly implying a breakup
splat2 story was based on callie and marie and callie being like you know what so maybe something is seeded to happen between the two in splat3?

just a thought kinda baseless

I hope they make new hosts, or bring Callie and Marie back. Off the hook is nothing close to the squid sisters, and I would die if they made them the hosts again. Marina is just too damn mean, and their dialogue was ruined through localization. Maybe if their dynamic was the same in the western version as the Japanese version I’d like them more.

Although considering the success of both it wouldn’t surprise me I they made a new duo entirely, perhaps with another genre focus (alternative? rock?). I have to admit nothing will feel the same as the original to me. Maybe off the hook will go on tour or something and they can include them that way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom