• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda's Unbroken Bloodline Is ABSURD

Link is an incarnation of the Spirit of the Hero.
Ganondorf is an incarnation of Demise's hatred.
Zelda is a descendant of the Goddess Hylia.

What the ****???

The former two can keep on reincarnating or being reborn, but the latter can be destroyed. You would think the Goddess would've been the one with the immortality, but no. Yet we're supposed to believe that SS Zelda's bloodline not only survived at least 10,000+ years into the future, but that it will keep going on forever and ever? Demise's curse is supposed to stalk the "blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero" "for all time".
How come Ganondorf just doesn't kill Zelda? He can end Hylia's bloodline once and for all and leave just Link and him to keep duking it out for the rest of eternity!
And we're also supposed to believe that every single Zelda has had at least one daughter? I know having to have heirs is an ancient concept royalty often considered a duty (you would think Hyrule would've gotten past this somehow during the high-tech advanced age of the Sheikah), but talk about ****ed up. The Hero can be reborn in a different body but Zelda is forced to be an eternal baby-maker. And again, if the reincarnation theory is true, that also means the Spirit of the Hero is likely getting it on with all of Hylia's daughters and granddaughters, what with all the romance hints Nintendo likes to throw.
Bloodlines also weaken over time the more and more descendants mate with others and new generations are born. Maybe Hylia's blood has a special property to it that makes it lasting, but talk about another copout. SS Zelda's blood should've long diminished by the time of BOTW. The bloodline concept is a weak explanation.
I just can't fathom the idea that nothing, absolutely nothing, no accidents or choices or events, has stopped the Zeldas from having any kids. And that they will continue to forever and ever?

So here's the theory. Do you think there is something else that gives the Zeldas their power, besides Hylia's blood? Or that Nintendo will eventually add in something more that makes Zelda "Zelda", once they realize just how insane the bloodline explanation actually is? Maybe Hylia passes down something more spiritual to the princesses, not just blood, like with the Links? This whole thing honestly troubles me, so any thoughts about this would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Ninty doesn't care and neither should you. The incarnation thing started out as a fan theory and ninty stole it, haphazardly shoe-horned it in to the series at the tail end of its most reviled installment, and called it a day. Next time they'll introduce half a dozen needless concepts, most of which will be just as inane, that will contradict the whole thing even further and make it clear that ninty's forgotten about the whole thing entirely.

My best guess to explain it all is that the incarnation stuff isn't affected by bloodline but rather by divine right. So basically, if you're princess you have divine right to be and therefore Hylia is with you or some such. This baseless grasping-at-straws theory pulls heredity as a factor out of the issue entirely and greatly simplfies the matter. Perhaps the incarnation of Hylia is attracted to supreme wisdom and maybe it's just that daughters of the royal family are the only ones ever blessed with it. In that case, while every first born princess of the royal family would bear the name Zelda by tradition (presumably, assuming ninty hasn't forgotten that little precedent as well) not all of them would be the bearer of the Triforce of Wisdom or Hylia's chosen or whatever. What we don't know is whether someone not of royal blood can bear the Triforce of Wisdom. Presumably, only based on the fact that they're making such a big deal out of it, the bearer of the Triforce of Wisdom can only ever be the incarnation of Hylia and vice versa. Heck, it's even unclear whether or not it's possible for the incarnation and the bearer to be a dude. Or for the spirit of the hero to be a chick for that matter.

That also begs the question of Link's heredity. Does it work the same as Zelda's? Is Link's incarnation affected by common ancestry? It's established that Link is the descendant of Hylian knights, so perhaps there is. How would it even be possible for Link's incarnation of the hero and Zelda's incarnation of the goddess to be passed on differently?

My conclusion is that Nintendo themselves don't know how the hell Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf keep appearing in different generations; they don't even know whether they're the same people or not, proven by the fact that they repeatedly and simultaneously say they're different from past incarnations and yet the same.
Just sucks to know that ardent fans like me put WAY more thought into this than they do, but oh well. It is Nintendo, its games made mostly for kids and not meant to be taken too seriously. And being family-friendly, it's unlikely they'll ever explain the ****ed-up knot they put themselves in regarding Link's, Zelda's, and Ganondorf's origins, not to mention the countless other random NPCS like Beedle that keep appearing in different eras with no explanation. Like the Zelda creators repeatedly keep saying, I guess most of it is just up to our imaginations.

Link is an incarnation of the Spirit of the Hero.
Ganondorf is an incarnation of Demise's hatred.
Zelda is a descendant of the Goddess Hylia.

What the ****???

I think you're looking too deep into it. Why bother trying to apply reality into a work of fiction that is based heavily in fantasy? Yeah in reality bloodlines thin. But this is a world of magic, gods, curses, etc. And it's not just Hero spirit or Hylia being passed down or reincarnated but the Triforce also seems to follow these as well, so there's likely to be something divine involved with the lineage.

My conclusion is that Nintendo themselves don't know how the hell Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf keep appearing in different generations; they don't even know whether they're the same people or not, proven by the fact that they repeatedly and simultaneously say they're different from past incarnations and yet the same.

This is just simply not true. They've said or it made it obvious in game it's a different Link or Zelda. Wind Waker is very good example of this when it's made clear in game than Link has no relation to the Hero of Time (from Ocarina of Time) and therefore has to prove himself before the Goddesses. Further back in the 80s, it's made clear that Link in Adventure of Link is the same Link from the very first game. Just because you don't like it or don't understand it or it doesn't fit your fan theories and wants doesn't mean you have lash out with false information.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yeah DarkestLink said it, anyone alive today is from a bloodline that has lasted for thousands of years. That's why it's not so strange for the royal bloodline of Hyrule to still exist even ten millennia after Skyward Sword. I will say it is unnusual for the royal family to still be in power so long as no dynasty has ever lasted 10,000 years, the odds of that happening are slim considering war and power struggles happen on a fairly regular basis. Still even if a coup took place at some point and other rulers were there for a long time the old royal family could have returned to power at a later stage.

Last edited:
This is just simply not true. They've said or it made it obvious in game it's a different Link or Zelda. Wind Waker is very good example of this when it's made clear in game than Link has no relation to the Hero of Time (from Ocarina of Time) and therefore has to prove himself before the Goddesses. Further back in the 80s, it's made clear that Link in Adventure of Link is the same Link from the very first game. Just because you don't like it or don't understand it or it doesn't fit your fan theories and wants doesn't mean you have lash out with false information.

Of course most of the Links and Zeldas are born different people; that's not what I'm disputing. Creating A Champion states that Calamity Ganon's hate for the hero and princess was legendary, yet he never met the ones in BOTW before when he sent the Guardians after them. The Links and Zeldas all share a connection that is never explicitly explained, and that's what I mean by Nintendo simultaneously treating them like they're the same and yet not. Skyward Sword's lore about those who share the spirit of the hero and the blood of the goddess appearing in every age isn't a fan theory.

Your bloodline lasted for several thousand years. Just sayin'.

Zelda's bloodline works different from yours. Just sayin'.
It can only be passed down from mother to daughter. How the hell could it survive 10,000+ years without male family members like fathers, uncles, and cousins, etc to properly pass it down? Even if it did (which is absurd in itself) it has to keep going on forever and ever with every single Zelda popping out at least one daughter. This is insanity.

Yeah DarkestLink said it, anyone alive today is from a bloodline that has lasted for thousands of years.

Ignoring that Zelda's bloodline works differently than the ones in real life, this goes back to the question of why hasn't Ganondorf killed Zelda to stop Hylia's bloodline. Knowing much about ancient lore, I assume he would've figured it out during those 10,000+ years. Of course, it's probably because the Links continue to protect her, but I'm only pointing out just how weak this makes Hylia's legacy and how easily it can be destroyed. I consider this a plothole, and it will become more so as the games go on and Ganondorf keeps targeting Hyrule and not Zelda.

My best guess to explain it all is that the incarnation stuff isn't affected by bloodline but rather by divine right. So basically, if you're princess you have divine right to be and therefore Hylia is with you or some such.

I agree with you about divine right but you know what else doesn't make sense? Hylia (SS Zelda) is supposed to be dead. She sacrificed her immortality to use the Triforce. Yet she's treated as if she still exists in BOTW with all the statues of her actually giving Link power. Yet another unexplained contradiction. :right:
And yeah, I know I'm putting WAY too much thought into this but I still like pointing out the inconsistencies. XD

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Of course most of the Links and Zeldas are born different people; that's not what I'm disputing. Creating A Champion states that Calamity Ganon's hate for the hero and princess was legendary, yet he never met the ones in BOTW before when he sent the Guardians after them. The Links and Zeldas all share a connection that is never explicitly explained, and that's what I mean by Nintendo simultaneously treating them like they're the same and yet not. Skyward Sword's lore about those who share the spirit of the hero and the blood of the goddess appearing in every age isn't a fan theory.

Your bloodline is different from the fictional Royal Family's in that only daughters can pass down Hylia's blood. And is it all daughters or only first-borns? How could the bloodline properly last if it doesn't get passed down via males like fathers, cousins, and uncles, etc?

Then this goes back to the question of why hasn't Ganondorf killed Zelda to stop Hylia's bloodline. Knowing much about ancient lore, I assume he would've figured it out during those 10,000+ years. Of course, it's probably because the Links continue to protect her, but I'm only pointing out just how weak this makes Hylia's legacy and how easily it can be destroyed. I consider this a plothole, and it will become more so as the games go on and Ganondorf keeps targeting Hyrule and not Zelda.

I agree with you about divine right but you know what else doesn't make sense? Hylia (SS Zelda) is supposed to dead. She sacrificed her immortality to use the Triforce. Yet she's treated as if she still exists in BOTW with all the statues of her actually giving Link power. Yet another unexplained contradiction. :right:
And yeah, I know I'm putting WAY too much thought into this but I still like pointing out the inconsistencies. XD
Ganondorf is unaware of the cycle except in Wind Waker where it is hinted at in Hyrule Historia that he wishes to put an end to it by assembling the Triforce.

In Twilight Princess he is unaware of any cycle and he is reborn in FSA and would be unaware of his past in TP. After that we don't know what happens.

In the decline timeline he loses his mind and most of his intelligence so he also would not be preoccupied with killing Zelda to stop a cycle he is unaware of no matter how many times he is revived.

Hylia dies, becomes a spirit, gets cool spirit powers back. Seems simple enough

Simple, but cheap, and not confirmed.

Ganondorf is unaware of the cycle except in Wind Waker where it is hinted at in Hyrule Historia that he wishes to put an end to it by assembling the Triforce.

In Twilight Princess he is unaware of any cycle and he is reborn in FSA and would be unaware of his past in TP. After that we don't know what happens.

In the decline timeline he loses his mind and most of his intelligence so he also would not be preoccupied with killing Zelda to stop a cycle he is unaware of no matter how many times he is revived.

If he was aware of it in WW he could've just killed Zelda on the bed. XD Now that it looks like Ganondorf has been revived in BOTW2, it will be interesting to see if he gets back his intelligence and becomes aware of this.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think you're looking too far into it. There are a lot of super impactful things that could be done with this in game universe to mess it up, but they'll never happen. Why doesn't Ganondorf just destroy the bloodline of the Goddess and end the curse? Well, it seems he doesn't even know about the curse, and even if he had an idea that some cycle was going on he wouldn't know how to destroy it at the souce anyway.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Probably the same reason why Gerudo keep getting female members who look like them. If I had to guess, very strong genetics. In this case, the genetics of a literal goddess passing down the same gender as well as the exact same recessive traits (blonde hair with blue eyes) without fail. In the case of the Geurdo, you could theorize that the reason the males are revered is because the Gerudo believe that in order to be male, the Father must have particularly dominant genetics that were able to overcome the consistent female genetics...and thus the King of Gerudo represents an evolution for their people.

Zelda's bloodline works different from yours. Just sayin'.
It can only be passed down from mother to daughter. How the hell could it survive 10,000+ years without male family members like fathers, uncles, and cousins, etc to properly pass it down? Even if it did (which is absurd in itself) it has to keep going on forever and ever with every single Zelda popping out at least one daughter. This is insanity.

Every female born, is born from another female. Meaning every female alive now, literally can trace exactly what you're describing back to some ancestor someplace near the beginning of time. It doesn't mean that Zelda doesn't have brothers or uncles . Just that there was at least 1 daughter born to a mother, and that when that daughter became of child bearing age she had at least one daughter.

It's not until a female has all male offspring that the chain is broken.

Last edited:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
As others have pointed out, your bloodline has lasted for thousands of years, and so has everyone else's on planet Earth.

In fact, Homo sapiens sapiens, which is our species, have only been on Earth for around 300,000 years, yet we can trace back all of our bloodlines to Africa using DNA.

Methinks that you should study genetics....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom