• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Some questions about the Twilight Princess version of Link

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Despite Twilight Princess being my second (maybe third) favorite Zelda game, it brings up some questions that are confusing to me especially regarding Link.

1. This first question also applies to Gannondorf and Zelda. How did they get the pieces of the Triforce?

2. If Link shares the name and appearance of several other heroes of Hyrule along with having a Triforce mark on his hand, how does nobody even suspect that this guy is special? Why is he just some dude who works on a farm and rides horses?

3. This is the spoiler question and it is also a rant. The Hero's shade is actually Link from Ocarina of Time, and WOW he is jerk! I remember wanting him burn in a fire the first time I met him. He basically just knocks you out as a wolf and then you find yourself in some strange dream world with some skeleton guy. If you strike at the skeleton guy who looks ready for a fight, he knocks you down and actually says, "You may be destined to become the hero of legend...but your current power would disgrace the proud green of the hero's tunic you wear." No wonder he wasn't able to "pass on," he's so rude to everybody. Anyway, the Twilight Princess version of Link is a blood descendant of Ocarina of Time Link, but this is where it gets confusing. I thought each Link is supposed to be the same person but reborn into a different body and time. How can there be two Links if Link's spirit has passed on to another young man? Even weirder, how can Link's spirit be reborn into one of his descendants? How can Link have himself as a son? Why does Link have children? I hope he didn't reproduce with that fish princess Ruto.

Because Link in OoT returned to the child timeline with the Triforce of Courage in his possession, he caused a time paradox, making the complete Triforce of the child timeline react to his Triforce of Courage from the adult timeline, and it split as a result. As it works in any other instance of a split, the two other Triforce pieces selected people whose virtues best matched them, which ended up granting Ganondorf the Triforce of Power without him having to break into the Sacred Realm. So when Ganondorf was arrested, he had the Triforce of Power anyway, so whoops.

Can't say how the Triforce inheritance works, but I'm pretty sure TP Link isn't related to OoT Link by blood. Maybe the Triforce, while split like that, just chooses a new suitable vessel when it's current vessel passes away. Why the Triforce of Wisdom tends to stay within the royal family, though, I have no idea.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
1. This first question also applies to Gannondorf and Zelda. How did they get the pieces of the Triforce?

Because of stupid lorebreaking Nintendo nonsense, there doesn't appear to be a quest for the Triforce anymore. Link, Zelda, and Ganon(dorf?) just seem to get it now. Because something something time travel shenanigans @Satan was on about.

but I'm pretty sure TP Link isn't related to OoT Link by blood
We don't know this for sure. There was another thread speculating about this that I'm too lazy to link to. There isn't the slightest thing to suggest the Hero of Twilight's parentage (graphic novel nonsense doesn't count). We don't know if the Hero of Time sired any kids. We don't even know how this stupid reincarnation and triforce inheritance stuff works other than that the triforce just seems to conveniently default to Link Zelda and Ganon(dorf?) now when it needs to for plot reasons.

2. If Link shares the name and appearance of several other heroes of Hyrule along with having a Triforce mark on his hand, how does nobody even suspect that this guy is special? Why is he just some dude who works on a farm and rides horses?
The Hero of Twilight does appear to have a triforce tattoo on his hand. Why he has it is never once even mentioned in the game - nobody even seems to give any indication that they are aware of its existence, in fact, even Link - but when the triforce of courage resonates with link the area of the tattoo glows with the triforce's light.

In some material from the rest of the series, the "tattoo" is explained as a "birthmark."

Again the matter of Link's parentage or origins is never even mentioned or alluded to in Twilight Princess. The only thing connecting the Hero of Twilight to the Hero of Time is that they both live in trees. This appears to be an allusion that no character in the game is aware of. This means that there is never any indication that anyone suspects Link of being anything other than a simple rancher.

But if this whole "Hero appearing as if from nowhere to save our sorry butts every time" thing keeps happening you would think the people of Hyrule would demonstrate some basic pattern recognition and learn to expect it by now. Then again, Hyrule does seem to transition through various ages often with wars or calamities or natural disasters separating them and losing much of their known history in the passing. For a kingdom that venerates an elite group of sages so highly, it's a wonder their recorded history isn't any better.

3. This is the spoiler question and it is also a rant. Something something Hero's Shade...
Link is a talented swordsman and archer, skilled rider, lone adventurer, slayer of beasts and savior of not one but two realms... not a snowflake.

Anyway, the Twilight Princess version of Link is a blood descendant of Ocarina of Time Link...
Again, we have no way of knowing this.

but this is where it gets confusing.
Yup, stupid reincarnation nonsense makes no sense.

Last edited:

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Despite Twilight Princess being my second (maybe third) favorite Zelda game, it brings up some questions that are confusing to me especially regarding Link.

3. This is the spoiler question and it is also a rant. The Hero's shade is actually Link from Ocarina of Time, and WOW he is jerk! I remember wanting him burn in a fire the first time I met him. He basically just knocks you out as a wolf and then you find yourself in some strange dream world with some skeleton guy. If you strike at the skeleton guy who looks ready for a fight, he knocks you down and actually says, "You may be destined to become the hero of legend...but your current power would disgrace the proud green of the hero's tunic you wear." No wonder he wasn't able to "pass on," he's so rude to everybody. Anyway, the Twilight Princess version of Link is a blood descendant of Ocarina of Time Link, but this is where it gets confusing. I thought each Link is supposed to be the same person but reborn into a different body and time. How can there be two Links if Link's spirit has passed on to another young man? Even weirder, how can Link's spirit be reborn into one of his descendants? How can Link have himself as a son? Why does Link have children? I hope he didn't reproduce with that fish princess Ruto.
1 They got the triforce because it chose them as the most suited for them.

2 No one knows he is special because of plot convenience and ssheer stupidity

3 You may be mistaken. If you let go of the belief that they are the same person reborn, the holes will disappear like magic.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Because Link in OoT returned to the child timeline with the Triforce of Courage in his possession, he caused a time paradox, making the complete Triforce of the child timeline react to his Triforce of Courage from the adult timeline, and it split as a result...

Can't say how the Triforce inheritance works, but I'm pretty sure TP Link isn't related to OoT Link by blood...

If the Triforce split as a result of Link being sent back in time with the Triforce of Courage, then that would mean every time he puts the Master Sword back in the pedestal in Ocarina of Time, the Triforce splits and goes to Ganondorf, which doesn't seem to happen. Even if it only happens when Zelda sends Link back in time, the Triforce would presumably split as soon as Link is sent back in time, which would give Zelda the Triforce of Wisdom, which we also know didn't happen because she shows no sign of acknowledging that she just got a piece of a powerful relic.

In Twilight Princess, the Hero's Shade refers to Link as his son. Plus, Hyrule Historia refers to the Twilight Princess version of Link as "the descendant of the Hero of Time." So the two Links are blood related.

...You may be mistaken. If you let go of the belief that they are the same person reborn, the holes will disappear like magic.

Yet Link is said to have the spirit of the hero in each of the games. In the manga that was in Hyrule Historia, I think his spirit was enchanted so that it would return to life whenever it needed to be.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
If the Triforce split as a result of Link being sent back in time with the Triforce of Courage, then that would mean every time he puts the Master Sword back in the pedestal in Ocarina of Time, the Triforce splits and goes to Ganondorf, which doesn't seem to happen. Even if it only happens when Zelda sends Link back in time, the Triforce would presumably split as soon as Link is sent back in time, which would give Zelda the Triforce of Wisdom, which we also know didn't happen because she shows no sign of acknowledging that she just got a piece of a powerful relic.

In Twilight Princess, the Hero's Shade refers to Link as his son. Plus, Hyrule Historia refers to the Twilight Princess version of Link as "the descendant of the Hero of Time." So the two Links are blood related.

Yet Link is said to have the spirit of the hero in each of the games. In the manga that was in Hyrule Historia, I think his spirit was enchanted so that it would return to life whenever it needed to be.
You think that manga is official? That's your next problem. I didn't even read it

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
You think that manga is official? That's your next problem. I didn't even read it

Why would the manga lie? And I'm pretty sure that at the end of Skyward Sword, demise places a curse on "the spirit of the hero." Also, if each Link had the same spirit, it would actually explain a lot. It would explain how they all have pretty similar personalities and fates, their skills with swords and other items despite being very young, how the Master Sword has someone in mind to pull it out (because in Ocarina of Time, only Link could pull it out despite never having left Kokiri forest), how they each Link conveniently appears whenever there is trouble, and how they are always chosen by the Triforce of Courage.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Why would the manga lie? And I'm pretty sure that at the end of Skyward Sword, demise places a curse on "the spirit of the hero." Also, if each Link had the same spirit, it would actually explain a lot. It would explain how they all have pretty similar personalities and fates, their skills with swords and other items despite being very young, how the Master Sword has someone in mind to pull it out (because in Ocarina of Time, only Link could pull it out despite never having left Kokiri forest), how they each Link conveniently appears whenever there is trouble, and how they are always chosen by the Triforce of Courage.
It never said it was telling the truth. It isn't lying. Those concept arts aren't official because they were never in the game. Same with the manga. Do not treat unofficial work as canon.

Yes it makes sense in some ways, but it makes less sense in others. Maybe it is by chance. Maybe it is the gods messing with kids.

The spirit of the hero, in my opinion, refers to the drive and skill of the hero, not the actual physical spirit

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
The spirit of the hero, in my opinion, refers to the drive and skill of the hero, not the actual physical spirit

It could be, but it doesn't really make sense to put a curse on everybody with a certain set of characteristics. It makes more sense to put it on someone's soul.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Many people try to say it split because the Hero of Time retained the Triforce of Courage from the Adult Timeline. In truth, that would have no effect on the Triforce on the Child Timeline. Besides, the Triforce of Courage from the Adult Timeline eventually returned to that timeline anyway. The Triforce was divinely split, by the gods themselves supposedly.

"By some divine prank, he, too, had been blessed with the chosen power of the gods. His abiding hatred and lust for power turned to purest malice..." - Sage (TP)

Although I wouldn't say the gods actually were involved, in fact I have long believed there is a grand inevitibility factor in place, it's a force of nature. Basically, TP is the Child Timeline's attempt to correct history. The Triforce was supposed to be split. Ganondorf, Zelda, and Link were supposed to clash over control of it. Link altered the course of history on the Child Timeline preventing that event from happening as it was supposed to, Rauru even said it was predestined to occur. The Hero of Time only delayed the inevitable, and managed to escape his destiny. So what he neglected to do became an issue for a different Hero, TP Link.

Summerizing, TP is the Child Timeline's equivalent to the event of OoT.

And answering your question, it became necessary for Ganondorf's life to be preserved so that history could be corrected. The Sages in TP were going to to execute Ganondorf, so the Triforce split, he gained the Triforce of Power. Later the other pieces found the ideal hosts within TP Link and Zelda. This occurred to set up the stage for what should have happened, but The Hero of Time avoided doing for a second time.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Many people try to say it split because the Hero of Time retained the Triforce of Courage from the Adult Timeline. In truth, that would have no effect on the Triforce on the Child Timeline. Besides, the Triforce of Courage from the Adult Timeline eventually returned to that timeline anyway. The Triforce was divinely split, by the gods themselves supposedly.

"By some divine prank, he, too, had been blessed with the chosen power of the gods. His abiding hatred and lust for power turned to purest malice..." - Sage (TP)

Although I wouldn't say the gods actually were involved, in fact I have long believed there is a grand inevitibility factor in place, it's a force of nature. Basically, TP is the Child Timeline's attempt to correct history. The Triforce was supposed to be split. Ganondorf, Zelda, and Link were supposed to clash over control of it. Link altered the course of history on the Child Timeline preventing that event from happening as it was supposed to, Rauru even said it was predestined to occur. The Hero of Time only delayed the inevitable, and managed to escape his destiny. So what he neglected to do became an issue for a different Hero, TP Link.

Summerizing, TP is the Child Timeline's equivalent to the event of OoT.

And answering your question, it became necessary for Ganondorf's life to be preserved so that history could be corrected. The Sages in TP were going to to execute Ganondorf, so the Triforce split, he gained the Triforce of Power. Later the other pieces found the ideal hosts within TP Link and Zelda. This occurred to set up the stage for what should have happened, but The Hero of Time avoided doing for a second time.

That does kinda make sense. It seems like Ganondorf was somehow destined to receive the Triforce of power and it seems that Link would have to fight him no matter what. The only problem is that we never got any clue as to what were the means by which the Triforce split? Maybe it was cursed by Demise so that it would eventually split one way or another. I don't know. Sounds like Nintendo just needed a justification for making another Zelda game.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
That does kinda make sense. It seems like Ganondorf was somehow destined to receive the Triforce of power and it seems that Link would have to fight him no matter what. The only problem is that we never got any clue as to what were the means by which the Triforce split? Maybe it was cursed by Demise so that it would eventually split one way or another. I don't know. Sounds like Nintendo just needed a justification for making another Zelda game.
In this case there were no means by which it split, it just happened because nature willed it.

Or perhaps the god themselves did intervene and split it, but that raises a huge question, how can they be so hands on in certain instances, but in others they are withdrawn?

I must also point out, there is no way I can see Ganondorf getting imprisoned if he already had the Triforce of Power in his possession. He gained the Piece literally as he was being executed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom