• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

BOTW Zora's Domain

Currently replaying BOTW, and as we know it's stated that Calamity Ganon was defeated 10 Thousand years ago.

However, it is also stated in another part of the game that Zora's Domain was founded 10 Thousand years ago.

I'm just wondering how this makes sense in terms of the zelda timeline? Because Zora's Domain features in many other zelda games, all of which take place before Calamity Ganon (10,000 years ago).

Is it just a 'different' zora's domain? Or does the original defeat of Calamity Ganon 10 thousand years ago somehow take place before many other zelda games?

I know some people will just say something like it's Nintendo's way of screwing off the timeline, but for those who want the timeline to still exist, what do you think?

BTW, I thought 10,000 years ago for Calamity Ganon was far too much time. 1 Thousand years would have worked so much better. 10 thousand years makes it very hard to believe that any trace of any ruins from buildings of past games would even exist in any form after 10 thousand years. I know this is fantasty, where anything is possible, but still...

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I'd bet solid money that the current history of hyrule only extends back 10 thousands years to the last time calamity ganon attacked, judging by how much history is lost since then and BOTW, though that'd only be for the hylians, the Gerudo certainly remember back longer back to OOT whether the zora do or don't is puzzling. It depends on the timeline really, in the child timeline they up sticks at least once and in the adult they fade away completely.

Fully agree 10k years was too much of a stretch but that's probably nintendos way of re-vitalizing the series, making it have nothing to do with the older games.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Its probably the start of the history the people know...the places where the history was stored eg books memories computers were destroyed by Ganon...

Currently replaying BOTW, and as we know it's stated that Calamity Ganon was defeated 10 Thousand years ago.

However, it is also stated in another part of the game that Zora's Domain was founded 10 Thousand years ago.

I'm just wondering how this makes sense in terms of the zelda timeline? Because Zora's Domain features in many other zelda games, all of which take place before Calamity Ganon (10,000 years ago).

Is it just a 'different' zora's domain? Or does the original defeat of Calamity Ganon 10 thousand years ago somehow take place before many other zelda games?

I know some people will just say something like it's Nintendo's way of screwing off the timeline, but for those who want the timeline to still exist, what do you think?

I have 2 possibilities, though not much evidence for either one.

1. When was it written down that Zora's Domain was formed 10,000 years ago? Dorephan has been King for awhile, at least a 100 years or more. So he obviously wrote that down before the game begins, then at the time you read it it would technically 10,100 years ago or more. That would easily way before the events of Calamity Ganon being sealed in HC.

2. The text says it's a new home, so it may not be the same as say the one in Ocarina of Time. Although there is no mention of a former domain being destroyed, it's possible at some point it happened.

We know thanks to the monument talking about Ruto that OoT happened way before the battle with Ganon that happened 10,000 years ago, which is also how long ago the ZD in BotW was formed. So, it has to be a new one. Which also gives an in-game explanation as to how the Zora came back to Hyrule on the DT.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
They coulda moved zoras domain like it grew and they then lost most of Zoras domain but the bit they had wasnt the same bit as before...

Just a FYI, I hadn't read all the stone monuments for ages when I started this thread - but now I have. And yes, after reading them, it seems like it is indeed a different ZD. I still think 10K years is a crazy time gap after previous zelda games though lol. IMO it should have been 1 thousand years.

When was it written down that Zora's Domain was formed 10,000 years ago?

Even though it was written on a stone tablet, a zora also says it to Link.

We know thanks to the monument talking about Ruto that OoT happened way before the battle with Ganon that happened 10,000 years ago, which is also how long ago the ZD in BotW was formed. So, it has to be a new one.

This is what proves it IMO - yep, it's a different ZD.

Last edited:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I agree with @Tetra's Wink that 10k years is way too long of a gap. If you put it into our perspective, 1,000 years ago it was 1018, which was before the Normans conquered Britain ffs lol, it's a long time ago. Times that by ten and it's like... absurd.

Anyway. I think it's a different ZD. I assume at the end of OoT, when the Domain fianlly unfroze the river probably burst its banks and the original Domain was probably destroyed. I think they would've just moved, to deal with a growing population etc and for better protection. They could have moved hundreds of times between the events of each game, let alone by the time BOTW came along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom