• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule's Geography

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I reckon so, but even still... What about the Castle Town residents in TP who say that Lake Hylia is in Eastern Hyrule? Wouldn't this still corroborate with OoT's Zora Domain being in the east? Then again, in OoT, Lake Hylia is to the west but still connects to Zora's Domain. So... maybe it's the orientation of the map.
They say Lake Hylia is in eastern Hyrule in TP, I don't recall that?

They say Lake Hylia is in eastern Hyrule in TP, I don't recall that?

They do, when you play as Wolf Link and enter Castle Town for the first time, many of the Castle Town residents refer to something troublesome having occured in Eastern Hyrule, futhermore, a Castle Town guard says that Lake Hylia falls under the jurisdiction of Eastern Hyrule, so logically, this must mean that Lake Hylia is in Eastern Hyrule.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
They do, when you play as Wolf Link and enter Castle Town for the first time, many of the Castle Town residents refer to something troublesome having occured in Eastern Hyrule, futhermore, a Castle Town guard says that Lake Hylia falls under the jurisdiction of Eastern Hyrule, so logically, this must mean that Lake Hylia is in Eastern Hyrule.
Contradicts the map though.

Contradicts the map though.

Hmm... not unless we manipulate the orientation of the map to place Lanayru Province in Eastern Hyrule. Then it can fit. I personally am going to take what the Castle Town residents are saying, as it is reflective of the in-game world's geography. The map could merely be orientated to place Hyrule Castle towards the north as a beacon of righteousness, and as a beacon of the nobility being to the top and the commonfolk being at the bottom, aka Ordona and Faron Province being in Southern Hyrule even though they wouldn't be in Southern Hyrule but rather in Western Hyrule.

Is it possible that quote is from the Wii version? In the Wii version the map is flipped horizontally putting Lake Hylia on the Eastern side. Seems like I recall directional references being changed as well.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Since nintendo flipped the map between versions, it's possible that no one bothered to change that line of text to reflect that version's orientation. I've never paid attention to the directions given by this Castle Town resident before, but if the text has not been altered between versions then this is canonical in-game proof of Twilight Princess' "Official" atlas.

I could check the difference between versions myself, but I haven't played that far into the Gamecube version and I don't have the time right now.

Since nintendo flipped the map between versions, it's possible that no one bothered to change that line of text to reflect that version's orientation. I've never paid attention to the directions given by this Castle Town resident before, but if the text has not been altered between versions then this is canonical in-game proof of Twilight Princess' "Official" atlas.

I could check the difference between versions myself, but I haven't played that far into the Gamecube version and I don't have the time right now.

Yeah, it would be. I played the GameCube version on the Dolphin emulator once but I didn't stick around to listen to the Castle Town gossip as Wolf Link. Still, if both the GameCube and Wii version's say this about Lake Hylia, then canonically speaking, Lanayru Province must be in the east.

Is it possible that quote is from the Wii version? In the Wii version the map is flipped horizontally putting Lake Hylia on the Eastern side. Seems like I recall directional references being changed as well.

I never thought of this, but if anyone who has the GameCube version can confirm if dialogue remains unchanged, then it's official, canonical proof of the in-game world's geographical orientation.

Maybe Spiritual Mask Salesman can confirm? He has both versions of the game.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I think that death mountain must always be the focal point when determining geography. we do not know how the rest of the world changes but we can be pretty sure that the giant active volcano isn't going to move. a Castle town can move, a forest can die and regrow elsewhere, in fact, a water source could be contaminated and the zeros would have to move elsewhere. so I think that we should always use the biggest landmark when considering geography.

I think that death mountain must always be the focal point when determining geography. we do not know how the rest of the world changes but we can be pretty sure that the giant active volcano isn't going to move. a Castle town can move, a forest can die and regrow elsewhere, in fact, a water source could be contaminated and the zeros would have to move elsewhere. so I think that we should always use the biggest landmark when considering geography.

A fair point, but I think the most focal points in Hylian geography should be as follows: Kakariko Village, Death Mountain, and Lake Hylia.

Kakariko isn't a geological point, the village moves around quite a lot, and in TPs case is there twice.

In TP's case, then I concede. It does warrant some confusion though, the Hidden Village is all but assured to be OoT's Kakariko but is nowhere near Death Mountain, and lacks a sufficiently sized graveyard, furthermore, no ruins of the Shadow Temple are anywhere in sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom