• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule's Geography

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Earlier today, on the Shoutbox, some members and I got into a debate about Hyrule's geography inbetween Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time. Eldin Volcano likely became Death Mountain. The Kokiri Forest is undoubtedly part of the Faron Woods. The Lanayru Desert being renamed the Gerudo Desert. And it was suggested that Lake Floria could be Lake Hylia.

Hyrule's geography often changes from game to game, locations do not always match up. For example, in OoT Zora's Domain is in the east of Hyrule, but in TP it is in the north. So what are your thoughts?

Earlier today, on the Shoutbox, some members and I got into a debate about Hyrule's geography inbetween Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time. Eldin Volcano likely became Death Mountain. The Kokiri Forest is undoubtedly part of the Faron Woods. The Lanayru Desert being renamed the Gerudo Desert. And it was suggested that Lake Floria could be Lake Hylia.

Hyrule's geography often changes from game to game, locations do not always match up. For example, in OoT Zora's Domain is in the east of Hyrule, but in TP it is in the north. So what are your thoughts?

Just wanted to clarify first, when you say in TP, do you mean the GameCube or the Nintendo Wii version? As I understand it, in the Wii version, everything is mirrored, so the GameCube version is the original orientation of the game.

I think Zora's Domain may have expanded from the events of OoT to TP, and could have moved locations also. I think also that Faron Woods and Kokiri Forest are undoubtedly connected, and part of the same region from SS-TP, so not much would have changed there. I think the ruins of the Temple of Time in TP are the former Forest Temple which likely was remodled into a new Temple of Time following the events of OoT, so sometime between OoT and TP. That or, the Master Sword was moved at some point between OoT and TP, maybe by OoT Link in his later years. I think from OoT to TP, Hyrule has expanded its territory, and locations may have shifted due to expanding geography. For example, Castle Town in TP is much larger than it was in OoT, but one thing that does confuse me is Death Mountain from OoT to TP, and its relation or proxmity to Kakariko Village. In TP, it's implied that the Hidden Village is Old Kakariko (OoT's Kakariko) based on the old sign you can read, but it's much further away from Death Mountain than New Kakariko is.

Any theories on that?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Just wanted to clarify first, when you say in TP, do you mean the GameCube or the Nintendo Wii version? As I understand it, in the Wii version, everything is mirrored, so the GameCube version is the original orientation of the game.
I had the Gamecube version in mind.

I think Zora's Domain may have expanded from the events of OoT to TP, and could have moved locations also. I think also that Faron Woods and Kokiri Forest are undoubtedly connected, and part of the same region from SS-TP, so not much would have changed there. I think the ruins of the Temple of Time in TP are the former Forest Temple which likely was remodled into a new Temple of Time following the events of OoT, so sometime between OoT and TP. That or, the Master Sword was moved at some point between OoT and TP, maybe by OoT Link in his later years. I think from OoT to TP, Hyrule has expanded its territory, and locations may have shifted due to expanding geography. For example, Castle Town in TP is much larger than it was in OoT, but one thing that does confuse me is Death Mountain from OoT to TP, and its relation or proxmity to Kakariko Village. In TP, it's implied that the Hidden Village is Old Kakariko (OoT's Kakariko) based on the old sign you can read, but it's much further away from Death Mountain than New Kakariko is.

Any theories on that?
An expansion of Zora's Domain wouldn't really explain how it could be located in the east, but years later it's in the north. I'm actually wondering if it would be possible if an earthquake occured, Death Mountain is, afterall, an active volcano and it's eruption could cause tectonic shifts. The Zora River, notably, is redirected drastically in TP, and it looks like mere erosion isn't the cause. The river actually flows underneath Eldin Bridge, it's a deep gorge, and I think the water was redirected and ended up running through the fault line.

Just something to throw out there, the Temple of Time in TP is located in the Lost Woods. The Lost Woods defies geographical logic, connecting places that otherwise shouldn't be connected, like Goron City, and the entrance to Zora's Domain. Maybe it is possible that an area can actually fall into the portal that the Lost Woods generates, and actually ends up in the Lost Woods itself?

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Concerning Zora's Domain I think it's a safe assumption that they moved. When considering the geography of Hyrule it's best to look for things that don't change for a very long time, such as the volcano, lakes, and rivers, and forests. These usually don't change much in a short amount of time. Things like the master sword, and the Zora's and kakariko village can all be moved.

I had the Gamecube version in mind.

An expansion of Zora's Domain wouldn't really explain how it could be located in the east, but years later it's in the north. I'm actually wondering if it would be possible if an earthquake occured, Death Mountain is, afterall, an active volcano and it's eruption could cause tectonic shifts. The Zora River, notably, is redirected drastically in TP, and it looks like mere erosion isn't the cause. The river actually flows underneath Eldin Bridge, it's a deep gorge, and I think the water was redirected and ended up running through the fault line.

Just something to throw out there, the Temple of Time in TP is located in the Lost Woods. The Lost Woods defies geographical logic, connecting places that otherwise shouldn't be connected, like Goron City, and the entrance to Zora's Domain. Maybe it is possible that an area can actually fall into the portal that the Lost Woods generates, and actually ends up in the Lost Woods itself?

Well, I think one thing is most assuredly feasible; Hyrule from OoT to TP has definitely expanded its territory to include new regions not previously mapped out, or not previously politically affiliated. Also, I thought I should also mention, while I was playing TP today, I took the time to listen to the gossip of Castle Town residents while playing as Wolf Link (Following Ilia's scent to Telma's Bar), and one resident says that Lake Hylia is in Eastern Hyrule, and we know that in OoT, Lake Hylia connects directly to the Water Temple and to Zora's Domain. So, I think it's still to the east, but perhaps the map is not in a correct orientation? Like, maybe Lanayru Province is in Eastern Hyrule, and Eldin Province is in Northern Hyrule, and so on and so forth.

Does that seem logical?

The LoZ Encyclopedia that just came out in English has a good section on the changing geography. Some of which though fans have already considered for awhile now. But I agree with it that Lake Floria doesn’t become Lake Hylia. Breath of the Wild pretty much confirms this as well. In games where there isn’t an appearance, such as OoT, it’s just part of the clouded out unexplored regions.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Well, I think one thing is most assuredly feasible; Hyrule from OoT to TP has definitely expanded its territory to include new regions not previously mapped out, or not previously politically affiliated. Also, I thought I should also mention, while I was playing TP today, I took the time to listen to the gossip of Castle Town residents while playing as Wolf Link (Following Ilia's scent to Telma's Bar), and one resident says that Lake Hylia is in Eastern Hyrule, and we know that in OoT, Lake Hylia connects directly to the Water Temple and to Zora's Domain. So, I think it's still to the east, but perhaps the map is not in a correct orientation? Like, maybe Lanayru Province is in Eastern Hyrule, and Eldin Province is in Northern Hyrule, and so on and so forth.

Does that seem logical?
I do think Hyrule has grown by incorperating new areas to its boundaries in TP. Those areas may even had been part of the Kingdom during OoT but they weren't accessible.

I too have thought about considering TP's map in a different orientation, later today, after work, I'll check out TP's map for myself and share my conclusions.

The LoZ Encyclopedia that just came out in English has a good section on the changing geography. Some of which though fans have already considered for awhile now. But I agree with it that Lake Floria doesn’t become Lake Hylia. Breath of the Wild pretty much confirms this as well. In games where there isn’t an appearance, such as OoT, it’s just part of the clouded out unexplored regions.

So wait, there's a Lake Floria and a Lake Hylia in Breath of the Wild? That's the only Zelda game I've yet to play being as I don't own a Switch or a Wii U.

I do think Hyrule has grown by incorperating new areas to its boundaries in TP. Those areas may even had been part of the Kingdom during OoT but they weren't accessible.

I too have thought about considering TP's map in a different orientation, later today, after work, I'll check out TP's map for myself and share my conclusions.

I do think this would be logical, because in OoT, Hyrule seemed frustratingly small and in TP, is twice as large, if not more. If you listen in to Shad, he says that TP Link is not from Hyrule proper at all, which means that Ordona Province was not territory that was considered part of Hyrule, but was likely only recent political acquisition at the start of the game or at least well before the start of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a thing...
https://zeldadungeon.net/forum/thre...ifferences-in-hyrules-geography-oot-tp.56414/

Hyrule Geography is one of my favorite subjects... can't post now so Ima just leave this here and bounce yo!

I had a read of your post, and I am astonished no one has bothered to respond to it even though it was posted in 2016. Anyway, it's a very well-structured analysis of Hyrule's changing geography. I responded with some theories of my own but nothing as extensive as to what you wrote. That will come later when I finally post my analysis fo the reincarnation theory about SS Link which is nearing completion.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I think it's a safe assumption that they moved. When considering the geography of Hyrule it's best to look for things that don't change for a very long time, such as the volcano, lakes, and rivers, and forests.

So far the only geographical region that has not change position throughout the series is the desert. So up to now it is the most constant point of reference. Even the location of Death Mountain moved in Twilight Princess, as mentioned here: https://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threads/snowpeak-is-death-mountain.55135/

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I'm looking at TP's map, in the unmirrored format. I've shifted my view of it a few times. If you look at the map with the orientation that Death Mountain is "north", some places line up exactly as where they were in OoT. The Kokiri Forest must be deduced to be in the southeast, but in TP it isn't accessible, the region is still part of the Faron region, however. This puts Lake Hylia in the South, and the desert to the west still. Hyrule Castle Town is is actually slightly to Death Mountain's southwest, with this view in mind, which correlates with Hyrule Castle Town in OoT. But no matter what theory we adopt, Zora's Domain remains the area that clearly isn't in the same geographic location, and therefore must be a different settlement for the Zora alltogether.

I'm looking at TP's map, in the unmirrored format. I've shifted my view of it a few times. If you look at the map with the orientation that Death Mountain is "north", some places line up exactly as where they were in OoT. The Kokiri Forest must be deduced to be in the southeast, but in TP it isn't accessible, the region is still part of the Faron region, however. This puts Lake Hylia in the South, and the desert to the west still. Hyrule Castle Town is is actually slightly to Death Mountain's southwest, with this view in mind, which correlates with Hyrule Castle Town in OoT. But no matter what theory we adopt, Zora's Domain remains the area that clearly isn't in the same geographic location, and therefore must be a different settlement for the Zora alltogether.

I reckon so, but even still... What about the Castle Town residents in TP who say that Lake Hylia is in Eastern Hyrule? Wouldn't this still corroborate with OoT's Zora Domain being in the east? Then again, in OoT, Lake Hylia is to the west but still connects to Zora's Domain. So... maybe it's the orientation of the map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom