• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

So, what exactly do you mean by Link's "reincarnation?"

I've said this before that I would love a female Link. I think if done right it would make a very excellent story. Or, heck yes! Maybe a character creator at the start of the game where you could choose your race and gender. But perhaps that would make it a little too much like Skyrim.

I've never thought of the spirit of the hero as a literal thing, and that the reincarnation is more like generations of heroes (not necessarily related by blood) possessing similar qualities, falling into similar circumstances, and accomplishing their goals in similar ways.
I'm totally on board. I could see why they wouldn't necessarily choose a character creator, but they could give us something new. Even slightly.

Reactions: Aku
My sense is that every Link is unique and typically unconnected to each other - not reincarnated or anything. But there does appear to be some supernatural "chosen one" thing that is common in fantasy literature. So every time evil rises, some supernatural forces chooses a boy of courage to take up the mantle.

I suppose where it gets confusing is that it is implied that Ganon - Link's evil counterpart - is in fact resurrected or reincarnated throughout time. So it's not unreasonable for some to think Link is too.

Reactions: Aku

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
There's really no way to answer this as there's no real info on what the heroes spirit is. Though I find it silly to assume that it isn't sone actual literal spirit as all the incarnations are the same thing. Likewise the Hero's Shade is a ghost and the time between Alttp and Albw seems to long to have Gramps be Alttp Link. I think it would make more sense to assume that Gramps is a descendant of Alttp Link and ALBW Links actual grandpa.

Also why do you lot want to change Link so darn much. Leave him alone. A fem Link is a terrible idea so is a character creator. If you want that so bad and you consider the SotH to be nonliteral then why not ask for a female character who isn't Link that has the SotH or a game where we play as ourselves working to save Link or something? What the heck is this obsession with Link being the one that has to change? Why even bother calling the character "Link" if you're not gonna keep what makes Link Link. Likewise what does a female Link add that makes you people want it so much? Yall act like it's the greatest idea ever, when in reality it's a dumb fan fiction idea that wouls cause nothing but friction between the fandom and it's a idea that neither Miyamoto or Aonuma like, at like all.

Aku

Because even someone else having the SotH would make people piss themselves in anger. I wouldn't mind having Link look different if it meant new and interesting storylines, but people would flip if a Link didn't have blond hair, blue eyes or green tunic (although that last one appears to be changing.)

Before Link got codified into these static traits, he looked different. Either he had brown-red hair (the first two Links) or he wasn't from Hyrule (first Link.) First couple of games didn't even have the Master Sword, and Ganon wasn't human at all.

Besides, is there really any reason other then 'tradition' for people to object to a female Link?

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I'm pretty sure the SotH, something that barely exists outside of SS, showing up in someone other than Link would go over way better than changing 30 years of a iconic character.

Also how exactly did he look different? The firsy incarnation was established as the base of all other Links. Those static traits jave existed since 1985.

Likewise, give me an example of a plot that would be different if Link were different, and when you can't you'll have your reason why Link shouldn't be changed or made female: there's simply nothing that can be gained from it and plenty of people to piss off by making it.

I created an account just to respond and weigh in with my opinion. So, hopefully, I am not out of turn and responding to this forum when the last response was 2 years ago won't get me in trouble with moderators and administrators.

So here goes: I believe that Link is reincarnated throughout his various incarnations in The Legend of Zelda series. Furthermore, and to clarify, I believe that the reincarnated Link is SS Link (Skyward Sword). In Skyward Sword, Zelda aka Hylia calls Link the Chosen Hero, meaning that SS Link is Hylia's Chosen Hero, this is important to remember as the Light Spirit in Twilight Princess, Ordona reveals to TP Link that The Spirit of the Hero resided within TP Link's veins, and lay dormant all this time, Ordona refers to The Spirit of The Hero as being the power of the hero, that his is the one true power that slept inside him. This implies a literal component to The Spirit of the Hero, not a metamorphical one as others have all been saying. I believe that Ordona was referring to SS Link when referring to "his", and "the spirit of the hero", meaning that a metaphysical component of SS Link survived his physical death, and was reincarnated into TP Link. Beyond the canon lore provided to us, I also believe in the reincarnation theory for one simple reason, Link's fighting prowess. Think about it, can you recall the various times in LoZ where characters have all praised Link's affinity with the sword? They all agree that Link is a natural, talented and competent swordsman, and furthermore, while everyone would say that this is merely gameplay convenience, this doesn't explain why characters all compliment Link's quick learning and natural talent for swordsmanship. The obvious answer to this is reincarnation, every Link is SS Link reincarnated, this doesn't mean that every incarnation of Link is not a unique being with their own thoughts and memories, they are, it merely means that a component of SS Link (The Spirit of The Hero) survives his biological or physical death, and is thus reborn into a new vessel or body. Link's natural combat skills are clearly the signs of centuries of experience, his skill with the sword is seemingly unrivaled because it has become second nature to him. It also explains why The Master Sword accepts each incarnation of Link as its Master, because Fi, who sleeps within the Master Sword recognizes The Spirit of The Hero as being a component of SS Link, and although this new Hero does not share SS Link's thoughts and memories, they do share his spirit and his valor, because it is his. This also means that the Zelda Universe also shows that mind-body dualism is real, mind-body dualism is a theory in philosophy which posits that there is a metaphysical component to one's existence. I'm actually seriously considering writing an essay on this topic, that being, Link is a product of reincarnation and I will set out to persuade readers of this thesis by using three games in the series: Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess. I will also utilize reincarnation and mind-body dualism, so there will be quite a bit of philosophy to my essay.

I hope everyone found my explanation reasonable, and if anyone has any counter-arguments, feel free to reply, or send me a private message, as I am eager to have a polite debate about this topic.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This also means that the Zelda Universe also shows that mind-body dualism is real, mind-body dualism is a theory in philosophy which posits that there is a metaphysical component to one's existence. I'm actually seriously considering writing an essay on this topic, that being, Link is a product of reincarnation and I will set out to persuade readers of this thesis by using three games in the series: Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess. I will also utilize reincarnation and mind-body dualism, so there will be quite a bit of philosophy to my essay.
I would really enjoy reading such an essay. I hope that when you write it, that you post it here on the Forum.

I would really enjoy reading such an essay. I hope that when you write it, that you post it here on the Forum.

I will begin work on it right away, I thought about it some more, and I'm going to do it. I've already began thinking about my introduction and how to state my thesis for the essay. I just need to do some research, and may have to replay the games I mentioned for additional resources. I've been replaying Skyward Sword though, so details are fresh, and I recently replayed Twilight Princess, so I still remember several key details. I only need quotes mainly, to strengthen my position. As for Ocarina of Time, there's not much I can use from that game outside of Link's feats, but I'll try to find something useful.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I will begin work on it right away, I thought about it some more, and I'm going to do it. I've already began thinking about my introduction and how to state my thesis for the essay. I just need to do some research, and may have to replay the games I mentioned for additional resources. I've been replaying Skyward Sword though, so details are fresh, and I recently replayed Twilight Princess, so I still remember several key details. I only need quotes mainly, to strengthen my position. As for Ocarina of Time, there's not much I can use from that game outside of Link's feats, but I'll try to find something useful.
There was a quote I recall from TP where an old man in Castle Town says something along the lines of the body being divinely granted by "forces you cannot comprehend" or something. I'll try to help you out and find the exact quote, but it seemed to suggest reincarnation is in occurence.

There was a quote I recall from TP where an old man in Castle Town says something along the lines of the body being divinely granted by "forces you cannot comprehend" or something. I'll try to help you out and find the exact quote, but it seemed to suggest reincarnation is in occurence.

Ah, I didn't get much into socializing with other characters in Castle Town, but I believe you may be referring to the old man who asks Link to donate rupees to express divine love. It's a unique statement to be sure, but now that I recall, I believe there was a moment in Ocarina of Time where the Sage Rauru speaks to Link about his destiny/fate as The Hero of Time, destiny doesn't necessarily correlate with reincarnation, but destiny in and of itself can be used to explain SS Link's role as The Chosen Hero by Hylia in Skyward Sword, so, one can argue tentatively, that OoT Link also possesses The Spirit of The Hero aka SS Link reincarnated. A lot of this sounds like conjecture, but given that OoT doesn't give me a lot to work with, I have to use deduction and empiricism to make conclusions.

Oh, I just realized my mistake, it was not Ordona who spoke to TP Link about the spirit of the hero, it was Faron (Not to be confused with Faron from Skyward Sword, though they could be the same being.) My bad.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Ah, I didn't get much into socializing with other characters in Castle Town, but I believe you may be referring to the old man who asks Link to donate rupees to express divine love.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was the character that said it.

I believe there was a moment in Ocarina of Time where the Sage Rauru speaks to Link about his destiny/fate as The Hero of Time,
There are many times in OoT where it is suggested that Link's role as the Hero of Time was predestined. The Deku Tree Sprout claims that the Great Deku Tree allowed the infant Link to remain in the Kokiri Forest, and to be raised there, because he sensed the child would be destined to save the world.

"The Deku Tree could sense that this was a child of destiny, whose fate would affect the entire world, so he took him into the forest." -Deku Tree Sprout

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was the character that said it.

There are many times in OoT where it is suggested that Link's role as the Hero of Time was predestined. The Deku Tree Sprout claims that the Great Deku Tree allowed the infant Link to remain in the Kokiri Forest, and to be raised there, because he sensed the child would be destined to save the world.

"The Deku Tree could sense that this was a child of destiny, whose fate would affect the entire world, so he took him into the forest." -Deku Tree Sprout

Oh yeah, for sure, it is suggested by multiple characters that OoT Link was predestined to becoming The Hero of Time just like SS Link was predestined by Hylia into becoming her Chosen Hero, and this could only be possible if OoT Link possessed The Spirit of The Hero, as Demise even noted that he would torment those who beared the blood of the goddess (Zelda) and the spirit of the hero. (Link) So, OoT Link possessing the essence of SS Link, his soul, is a theory confirmed in my humble opinion. I've already made significant progress in the essay, and I'm ready to state my evidence for Link being a product of reincarnation by talking about The Spirit of The Hero. I was talking about earlier how Socrates posited that the soul was independent of the body, and would survive its physical death, and he talked about how death was the only way to release the soul from the body, and we know from reincarnation that an aspect of an individual which survives biological death such as the soul, is reincarnated in a new life across multiple existences. So, it's clear, at least to me, that The Spirit of The Hero operates in this kind of fashion as well.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
By reincarnation, I think it can mean either a blood relative or a random kid chosen to be like SS Link

By reincarnation, I think it can mean either a blood relative or a random kid chosen to be like SS Link

That's not what reincarnation means.... Reincarnation posits that a survivng aspect of an individual such as consciousness, the spirit or the soul, is reborn into a new vessel in the next life. This means that The Spirit of The Hero is SS Link's soul or spirit, it is the essence of SS Link which survives his biological death, this also means that the Zelda Universe proves mind-body dualism is in effect, as SS Link can only be reincarnated if there were a metaphysical component to his existence, ergo, The Spirit of The Hero, which Demise talks about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom