• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TP - Hero's Shade Confusion

So if Link gets reincarnated over time, his current soul should be in the current Link. Those are the laws of reincarnation if I'm not mistaken.

So then, how is the Hero's Shade able to exist at the same time as Link, if it is supposed to be a past Link?

Edit: Can a mod edit the title, I mis-spelled Shade as Shad. Thanks

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I don't think reincarnation, in Zelda, works like reincarnation in Hinduism or Buddhism. In those "ways of liberation", the same soul is reincarnated over and over, i.e. recycled. With Zelda, it would seem the hero's soul is passed on to different incarnations, however the souls of the previous heroes still exist apart from it.

So if Link gets reincarnated over time, his current soul should be in the current Link. Those are the laws of reincarnation if I'm not mistaken.

So then, how is the Hero's Shade able to exist at the same time as Link, if it is supposed to be a past Link?

I don't think they are existing at the same time. I think of it more of an awakening in Link, part of the manifestation of the Hero's Spirit that happens to him early in the game.Remember the green tunic just appearing on you? Otherwise The Shade could have contacted him at any point. Furthermore, he 'regrets' not having been able to pass down knowledge. The likely explanation for that after Link returns from Termina, there was no major to threat to Hyrule since Ganon was thrown into the Twilight Realm, so the Hero's Spirit never awoken.

This would also explain why Midna never comments on it. Of course, rather than have Link walk around randomly getting skills in his mind, they made a side quest out of it.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I think it's more of an Ancestral awakening. Link has come to the age where it's his turn to take on the evils of Hyrule. who's to say that the other Link's didn't experience something similar?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I don't think it's a reincarnation. Look at Spirit Tracks. Zelda is the granddaughter of Tetra. I think it's just the "fire" of a hero or goddess that wakes up when time of danger is near. So everytime Hyrule is in danger, the fire or spirit of the chosen ones will wake up. It has been confirmed Hero Shade is OoT Link. But that doesn't mean TP Link is his reincarnation. It means TP Link has the same "hero spirit" inside him as OoT Link used to have. I don't believe all Links and zeldas are reincarnations. ST Zelda can't be a reincarnation of her own grandmother I guess. But who am I to tell for sure? Just my two cents

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Actually, usually the spirit and the soul are considered different things. The soul is what makes one unique as an individual, but the spirit passes to each incarnation I assume. Not the souls of past Links too. Take it from me, the Spiritual Mask Salesman himself.

So the Heroes Shade is just the soul of OoT Link, and that is why he can linger on even though there is a new incarnation of the hero, housing the Hero's Spirit.

My take is that most Links reincarnate, but there are some exceptions such as TP Link. I actually plan to make my own thread on this issue when I get around to it, but basically, the Hero's Spirit was not reborn because it was still roaming the Earth, thus the new bearer of the ToC had to be the next best thing; a direct descendant. I'll go into more detail on that when I make my thread.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
My take is that most Links reincarnate, but there are some exceptions such as TP Link. I actually plan to make my own thread on this issue when I get around to it, but basically, the Hero's Spirit was not reborn because it was still roaming the Earth, thus the new bearer of the ToC had to be the next best thing; a direct descendant. I'll go into more detail on that when I make my thread.
I'm pretty sure the Hero's Spirit is a constant, it has to be reincarnated.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker

I think that the "spirit of the hero" and Link are some kind of split personality, similar to the four Links in four swords. They are all the same but they act as multiple entities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom