• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Zelda Switch expand or shrink?

Expand or contract?

• Total voters

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
BoTW was massive. It was huge. It had many plot and game holes that fans hated, however. Quantity over quality, or a little of both, perhaps.

Anyways, do you think Nintendo will go big again and expand the size of the world, or do you think they will shrink it down to maybe Skyrim size (Still very large), but focus a little more of quality and small details?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Shrink it down significantly. There was no way they were ever going to fill BOTW's world with substantial content. Make the content first and then build the world around it so it's appropriately sized and the player is given a constant stream of activity.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Now that ninty has adopted (late, as usual, long after it's already lost its luster and/or been proven a failure) the modern gaming concept of MOAHR BIGGAAHR!!! that even ignorant corporate AAA juggernauts like EA and Ubisuck finally realized (also too late to save them) were destroying their business sometime last year, we can expect the Big N to fall into the same trap they did by completely failing to learn from other people's mistakes.

There is only one way to go as far as nintendo is concerned now that the Zelda series has fallen into the MOAHHR BIGGAAHR OPIN WHAARLD!!! pitfall. It's gotta be moahr bigger every time until its size is unsustainable. Don't do anything new, just do everything moahr bigger. Same graphics, same gameplay, same bugs and glitches, same basic story, just more More MOAARHR!!

BotW2: Electric Boogaloo will look and play exactly like BotW only bigger and filled with more useless stuff. Instead of 900 koroks, they'll be 1800. In fact, you could be forgiven for making the mistake that you aren't playing BotW until you start to realize that everything is bigger and more numerous and pointless than you expected.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
As much as I think the only beneficial thing for them to do would be to make the world smaller and include some meaningful content in it instead of just near-useless collectibles, I doubt Nintendo will do that. Judging by how many korok seeds are in BotW and how many Moons are in Mario Odyssey, Nintendo seem to be infatuated with pointless busywork, and since both of those games were huge successes they have no reason to do otherwise.

I hate the very thought of it, but @Castle is most likely right, the next major Zelda game will probably be more of the same, emphasis on more. Over a thousand korok seeds, ensuring the bulk of the game will be repetitive collectible hunting. A continued focus on 'one and gone' shrines instead of actual dungeons with their themes, mixtures of puzzles and combat, imagination, and sense of progression (my God why did they think no dungeons was the right move for a Zelda game?). Even more different types of weapons that they can only make mechanically relevent by making them last for two minutes so you constantly have to scavange new ones. More locations that have nothing for you to do but, hey, they look pretty.

For me, Nintendo proved that they don't actually know what to do with an open world with BotW, and so they just sprinkled in meaningless, vapid crap and hoped that having lots of it would make up for none of it being fun in the slightest. Collectibles and 'one and gone' might work in a Mario platformer but it kills an action/adventure. BotW requires you to find your own fun within it rather than providing fun things for you to do like every other Zelda before it. Whatever comes next will probably be more of the same, to the franchise's detriment in my view.

i hope for a minor or medium contraction of the overworld and that actual real dungeons of (very) decent quality would replace it

that is what i hope for but i see things evolute in a negative way meaning they will go for larger just for the sake of larger and will probably neglect the dungeons once more, this and other things will very probably again have a negative infuence on the quality

i hope they have listened to the grieves of people about BotW, but knowing Nintendo there is at least a 99,9% chance they do not and have not, so for the first time in the Zelda history my expectations for the new game are not high but rather (pretty) low but that does not mean i'm not going to follow the news about it any less, it might diminish somewhat though if it really seems that what i said before would be the case, hope against knowing better thus)

Last edited:
I'd be fine with the next game being the same size as BotW.

But I'd want them to actually put something in the world this time.

BotW was OoT but bigger and there wasnt much in OoT to begin with...

If Zelda Switch is revealed to be another massive ****ing field I probably won't care about playing it all that much.

DarkestLink

I think Spirit was referring specifically to the overworld...which is fair. OoT was just a big empty overworld. TP was a bigger OoT with more content, but more empty space. BOTW is a ridiculously bigger version of OoT, so big there was no way in hell they would ever fill it up. And they didn't come close.

I'd love a game that has the same size of BOTW's world, but with the gameplay of OOT/more traditional 3D Zelda in general. An enourmous world excellent for exploration, but at the same time, more restrictive as in areas you cannot access without certain items. And a decent amount of traditional dungeons. And heart pieces, items, bottles, the works.

OOT and BOTW are both extremely popular, so why not mix the best of both games together?

They are quite capable of making a zelda game like this, which would feel like the ultimate 3d zelda game, but I fear they will continue to be 'different' and drop gimmicks like BOTW did. Many things make zelda games what zelda games are, but BOTW ditched a lot of that stuff. I don't mind that for the odd game here and then, but I hope the next one is traditional again.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
If you have played The Witcher 3 then BoTW isn't that big of a world and if you have played GTA5 it's really not that big. It also kind of feels small as you can see Hyrule Castle from pretty much anywhere which reminds you of the finite size of the map.

They could go bigger for sure. But if they are not going to put meaningful content in that world, what's the point of making it bigger? I don't like just dossing around a field, it doesn't interest me. OOT and MM were densely populated with things to do even though they have tiny maps in comparison. You were never far from someone or something interesting to interact with and their worlds felt more alive because of it.

I think the next game will be similar sized or bigger and I can only hope they fill it with decent stuff this time.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
I've played a number of games with maps that dwarf BotW's, and all of them managed to feel more filled with things to do or see. BotW was beautiful, but... it also felt quite a bit empty, even compared to games of similar size.

So, I don't care if it's bigger or smaller as long as it's better utilized.

Hmm, I feel like some of the early replies here are extremely pessimistic and see Nintendo as trying to get in on some trend and make things even bigger.

I think the sequel or prequel or whatever we get using the same engine will be a smaller game. I don't know how much smaller, but it will be smaller.

We already saw that with Majora's Mask, and it makes a lot of sense to me to use a similar approach when Breath of the Wild suffers in the story department and could use a leaner story in a successor with more involved characters. If more care is put into the story, there will be less time and resources to make the world.

DarkestLink

Hmm, I feel like some of the early replies here are extremely pessimistic and see Nintendo as trying to get in on some trend and make things even bigger.

That is the trend with Open World games these days and Nintendo is joining the fad...and they clearly went out of their way to make BOTW as big as possible to the point that it struggles to run properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom