• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Infinite Timelines?

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
In Majora's Mask, Link plays the Song of Time in order to go back to the beginning of a 3 day cycle so he can save Termina from the falling moon. On the official Zelda timeline, there's a split at Ocarina of Time, but not for Majora's Mask. Because Link goes back in time basically an infinite amount, wouldn't this create multiple timelines, with all, except one, ending in Link dying and unable to save Termina?

We see on the official timeline that we go straight from MM to Twilight Princess. But what about all those other timelines? One could argue that there is a "Hero Fails" split at MM as well. If so, what would follow it? Would it be Breath of the Wild, or something else entirely?

Obviously, at this point, the only game not on the Zelda timeline is BOTW, so that's really the only candidate if we go by Nintendo's half-ass timeline.

But what do you think? Do you think it's possible that there is a significant split at MM that could lead to future games? And if so, how do you think the results of a failed MM hero will affect later games? Storywise.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I feel like, if any game deserves a hero's failure timeline, it's MM, simply because there literally has to be at least one timeline, and almost definitley more, where that's the case.
However, Termina isnt in Hyrule. It does appear to be a pocket dimension, or simply a separate world. I find it hard to believe that Termina and Hyrule can coexist. Because of That, the events of MM wouldn't really do much to Hyrule itself. It would only really affect future games that take place in Termina - which honestly probably won't haplen.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
All those do-overs in MM can be classed as closed loops, like an oxbow in a river, it'll at first flow around in a loop and over time the river will eat away at the banks closing the loop off and it'll dry out. leaving the river running straight instead of a bow.

I would be for this, we even see termina destroyed in-game if we wait for the 3 days to end. But as said, Termina's demise might not really effect Hyrule itself

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
In Majora's Mask, Link plays the Song of Time in order to go back to the beginning of a 3 day cycle so he can save Termina from the falling moon. On the official Zelda timeline, there's a split at Ocarina of Time, but not for Majora's Mask. Because Link goes back in time basically an infinite amount, wouldn't this create multiple timelines, with all, except one, ending in Link dying and unable to save Termina?

We see on the official timeline that we go straight from MM to Twilight Princess. But what about all those other timelines? One could argue that there is a "Hero Fails" split at MM as well. If so, what would follow it? Would it be Breath of the Wild, or something else entirely?

Obviously, at this point, the only game not on the Zelda timeline is BOTW, so that's really the only candidate if we go by Nintendo's half-ass timeline.

But what do you think? Do you think it's possible that there is a significant split at MM that could lead to future games? And if so, how do you think the results of a failed MM hero will affect later games? Storywise.
Perhaps, but it is my belief that Termina is in fact, an alternate dimension from Hyrule. I believe that it was created by the major's mask and that it has no real affect on Hyrule. but since Nintendo has not specified on that, we can't know for sure

I have my own take on the timeline problem, but it starts before MM. Link was sent back to Hyrule castle's outskirts after OoT and he chooses to meet Zelda again as seen in the final credit roll. This could have created a parallel universe in order to preserve the laws of nature.(similar to an alternate dimension, it is the only way nature can "fix" a time paradox, Domozilla777 was on the money.) In the new hyrule, link has no fairy and because he is not able to find zelda without Navi, he searches for someone who guided him because he feels lost. Thus preserving the laws of nature. The events of MM technically occur in 3 days, rewinding time (while impossible in real life's laws of physics) does not add or subtract time from the events. If it did, then you would be correct in the fact that link would require an infinite amount of time and the moon would smash into Termina before Link bumps into skull kid. It would kind of suck to be the dev that thought of that detail but didn't pay attention in physics class, eh?

See LoZ/MM [Mask Meaning/Interpretation] for some other timelines, but these all occur before Wind Waker, unless I missed something.

image.jpg

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The very fact that events within the 72 hour timeframe would automatically reset, regardless of Link playing the Song of Time or not, suggests that Termina's destruction by the moon was not the predestined outcome. Inevitably Link had to stop the collision of the planet and moon, and that was the whole reason he was caught in the timeloop. Nothing else he could have done would break him out of the loop, he seemingly can't even die in the game.

I recall the member Garo using a VHS tape analogy years ago to explain. I think a better way to put it is an analogy of a DVD-RW. Basically the events of the 72 hour timeframe are recorded. They can be rewound, fast fowarded, even slowed down. But with each rewind the recording changes, things don't transpire exactly the same. The same disc is being used to be recorded over though, so once a new recording is in progress, and completed, the other recorded content is gone forever and cannot be retrieved. Mutiple recordings take place, but only one ends up being finalized, that being Link preventing the collision of the moon and planet. That is the history that sticks, and then finally things can continue on normally.

See, the term "alternate timeline" implies an alteration of events occured, but Link wasn't altering events, it seems he was destined to save Termina.

I don’t think there are infinite timelines resulting from time travel in LoZ. If that were the case, then there would be multiple branches from OoT anytime you went back to being a kid. Instead you jump back n forth on the same line, it never branches out. Same thing in MM.

So why then the split at the end of OoT? I think it has something to do with Zelda when she sends Link back. Instead of playing the Song of Time, she plays Zelda’s Lullaby which sends Link to a point before he first meets her as a kid. Could be an oversight by the developers, but when you return as a kid the DoT is already open despite not having possession of the Goron Ruby, Zora’s Sapphire, or the OoT. All of which were needed to open the door. So something else caused it to open. Maybe just appearing on the other side triggered it.

Zelda’s Lullaby could have time travel properties, which could explain why she has prophetic dreams too.

When it comes it to time travel in fiction there is no right or wrong answers, unless the creators say otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom