• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A 2D Zelda Switch

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
So, now that I see a bright and shiny new board for a Zelda Switch, I see people are very excited for the successor to BotW.

However, I think we should hold the reins back just a bit. At the very most optimistic timeframe, we won’t see a successor until at least 2020. But I think we may see something way before a new 3D Zelda joins the fray.

That is, a 2D Zelda on the Switch. Nintendo EAD3 actually has 2 divisions, one for handheld games like ALBW, and the other for 3D titles. So, it makes sense they willl have a 2D game waiting in the wings.

So what do you want out of a new 2D Zelda? I personally would want them to use ALBW as a base, but include all new original content, with a weird quirky story like LA. But what do you think forum dwellers?

But what do you think forum dwellers?
A sequel to Adventure of Link.

It's a perfect fit for the Switch. Why?
  • 2D platformers of this nature are selling really well on the Switch now.
  • They are much easier to make then a huge 3D game.
  • The Zelda fanbase will buy anything with the Zelda name attached to it (Wind Waker is proof of this).
  • There are a lot of elements in BotW that were totally inspired by AoL.
  • AoL is actually a pretty good game, though the sequel would have to be a little more accessible than AoL was.
  • It would work well with a moderm or a retro aesthetic.
  • Even though a vocal minority would hate on this just because they like to hate (just like they did with Yooka-Laylee) if Nintendo advertise this a inbetween game and the next 3D Zelda game is coming, it'll be ok and help to keep those haters mouths shut.

I really don't want a tile-shiftinf 2D Zelda. I get so confused playing them sometimes.

I'd like a 2D Zelda that played like Odin Sphere, a spiritual successor (hate that phrase) to AoL.

Switch is a great place to create another Zelda pillar. 3D, top down and sidescrolling could all coexist in peace and harmony.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'd be down for a new 2D instalment, it might be enough to push me to finally pick up the console in fact since I am still holding off. I much rather the 3D games but having a separate team that's working on a 2D instalment would be a good way to fill the gap of waiting the whole time for Zelda Switch (3D).

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
A sequel to Adventure of Link.

It's a perfect fit for the Switch. Why?
  • 2D platformers of this nature are selling really well on the Switch now.
  • They are much easier to make then a huge 3D game.
  • The Zelda fanbase will buy anything with the Zelda name attached to it (Wind Waker is proof of this).
  • There are a lot of elements in BotW that were totally inspired by AoL.
  • AoL is actually a pretty good game, though the sequel would have to be a little more accessible than AoL was.
  • It would work well with a moderm or a retro aesthetic.
  • Even though a vocal minority would hate on this just because they like to hate (just like they did with Yooka-Laylee) if Nintendo advertise this a inbetween game and the next 3D Zelda game is coming, it'll be ok and help to keep those haters mouths shut.
From what I can tell, the Yooka-Laylee hate was mostly justified. Writing off every negative opinion as "someone who likes to hate" is pretty ridiculous. A similar style game like A Hat in Time was extremely well received.

From what I can tell, the Yooka-Laylee hate was mostly justified. Writing off every negative opinion as "someone who likes to hate" is pretty ridiculous. A similar style game like A Hat in Time was extremely well received.
We agree to disagree. Yooka-Laylee was very good game. From a technical standpoint, Digital Foundary poured praise on it. Also many outlets reviewed the game highly. Others though for various reasons didn't give the game a chance and didn't give it a fair review. The game was not universally hated. It was more polarising. Many loved the game and many hated it.
The game is fun, well made, with great british humor added in as well. I've played the game in Switch and I agree with all the positive reviews for the game. To me it's equally as good as Mario Odyssey.
The extreme hatred some had for Yooka-Laylee was NOT justified at all.

A Hat In Time is tegnically a lower quality game. However that's totally understandable considering it's developers had a lot lower budget to work with and many other issues that made development hard. A Hat in Time is good, because it's amazing that so few people could mane any game at all, let anone something like this. It's similar to Stardew Valley in that regard. A game that's technically far from perfect with many flaws in the coding but made with love and care and the fans really appreciate it. It's proof that games made on lower budgets that are not as godo from a coding standpoint can still be really fun. Fun is what matters the most when playing games, everything else comes secondary.

It's not really an Apples to Apples comparison though. Playtonic are industry experts who made a game that's equally as good as something Nintendo made (Mario Odyssey) while gears for Breakfast started out as one person and slowly evolved to become a few people spread across the entire world who were not industry experts.

That's all I'll be saying on this point because we clearly will never see eye to eye on this point and clearly have differing opinions. So agreeing to disagree on this is what is happening here and I thank you for your reply.

PS. I'm not writing off every negative opinion. When games deserve criticism I accept that. However I also defend games that are unfairly criticised which is what happened in this case.

Jamie

We agree to disagree. Yooka-Laylee was very good game. From a technical standpoint, Digital Foundary poured praise on it. Also many outlets reviewed the game highly. Others though for various reasons didn't give the game a chance and didn't give it a fair review. The game was not universally hated. It was more polarising. Many loved the game and many hated it.
The game is fun, well made, with great british humor added in as well. I've played the game in Switch and I agree with all the positive reviews for the game. To me it's equally as good as Mario Odyssey.
The extreme hatred some had for Yooka-Laylee was NOT justified at all.

A Hat In Time is tegnically a lower quality game. However that's totally understandable considering it's developers had a lot lower budget to work with and many other issues that made development hard. A Hat in Time is good, because it's amazing that so few people could mane any game at all, let anone something like this. It's similar to Stardew Valley in that regard. A game that's technically far from perfect with many flaws in the coding but made with love and care and the fans really appreciate it. It's proof that games made on lower budgets that are not as godo from a coding standpoint can still be really fun. Fun is what matters the most when playing games, everything else comes secondary.

It's not really an Apples to Apples comparison though. Playtonic are industry experts who made a game that's equally as good as something Nintendo made (Mario Odyssey) while gears for Breakfast started out as one person and slowly evolved to become a few people spread across the entire world who were not industry experts.

That's all I'll be saying on this point because we clearly will never see eye to eye on this point and clearly have differing opinions. So agreeing to disagree on this is what is happening here and I thank you for your reply.

PS. I'm not writing off every negative opinion. When games deserve criticism I accept that. However I also defend games that are unfairly criticised which is what happened in this case.
I've never even played the game. I'm just saying perhaps some people actually disliked the game, because you know, not everyone likes everything you like.

I've never even played the game. I'm just saying perhaps some people actually disliked the game, because you know, not everyone likes everything you like.
Dislike is not the same as a bad game. I dislike the new DOOM though it's an pretty good game. Just not my thing. People are free to dislike good games if they want. That does not make them bad games all of a sudden.

Jamie

Dislike is not the same as a bad game. I dislike the new DOOM though it's an pretty good game. Just not my thing. People are free to dislike good games if they want. That does not make them bad games all of a sudden.
We probably disagree on which games are bad/good in some cases. Does that mean one of us just loves to hate? Naw. Just different onions.

I had a dream that there was a new 2D switch, and in the timeline it was set very early, perhaps just after Minish Cap. It was about the great tree from SS dying, and another parallel tree trying to somehow save the world, and at the end of the game the deku tree was born. Also included was an ally to Link, who was a man with a horse's head, the last of his race. He was only referred to as his surname, but then at the end of the game he sacrificed himself, and just before he went, he said to Link "call me Epona". Lol I now actually think this would make a good game/story.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I had a dream that there was a new 2D switch, and in the timeline it was set very early, perhaps just after Minish Cap. It was about the great tree from SS dying, and another parallel tree trying to somehow save the world, and at the end of the game the deku tree was born. Also included was an ally to Link, who was a man with a horse's head, the last of his race. He was only referred to as his surname, but then at the end of the game he sacrificed himself, and just before he went, he said to Link "call me Epona". Lol I now actually think this would make a good game/story.
Build this when Zelda Maker comes out holiday 2018!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom