• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could these 3 games be made canon?

I know that the following three games are spin-offs and some are minigames, but honestly, if Four Swords can be canon, then why not these? Four Swords didn't even get a sole release, it was an extra feature of a ALTTP remake. Yes it got the anniversary re-release, but even that was only for a limited time. So, regarding the three spin-offs I mentioned:

Link's Crossbow Training - I know it's a spin-off and a minigame, but as said, Four Swords is also much like a mini game, so why can't Link's Crossbow Training be canon? It had it's own sole release, unlike Four Swords. Also, timeline placement would be extremely easy - it is just Link's dream, that he has shortly after his adventure in Twilight Princess. It only makes sense that the adventure would be on his mind, thus him having a dream about it.

Navi Trackers - I've never played this, but story-wise, it can easily fit in between TWW and PH with absolutely no issues. I know it's a minigame, but so is Four Swords. And I know it didn't get a sole release as a seperate game, but so is the case with Four Swords.

Hyrule Warriors - This, unlike the other 2 spinoffs mentioned, is actually a fully-fledged game. I guess a big reason why it isn't canon may be simply because it is a Dynasty Warriors crossover, but really, this game only features characters from Zelda, and surely Nintendo have the rights to make this canon? It's a fully-fledged, well known game, perhaps even more well known than some main entries in the series. The only problem is timeline placement, which would mean that all 3 timelines would have to merge, but hey, at least BOTW would then make sense.

So yes, I mentioned these spinoffs being canon purely because Four Swords is. It's Four Sword's fault. I mean, it's like an hour long, yet it makes it into the Zelda canon, so why not these?

NOTE:
Spinoffs I didn't mention, and reasons why:
BS games (because they're unplayable today, and also Link was not the playable protagonist).
Tingle games (because Link was not the playable protagonist).
Battle Quest (because it's part of Nintendo Land, and Link was not the playable protagonist).
Game Watch / Game And Watch (because they're more like 'toys' than computer games).
CDI games (because they're hated by all, plus, 2 of the 3 don't have Link as the playable protagnoist).

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
https://zelda.gamepedia.com/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Four_Swords

Gotta point out Four Swords did have an original release then it was ported and combined with ALTTP.

Link's crossbow was a true spin off as in it featured technology not currently available at that time in hyrule and the appearance of stallord whom was actually slain.

Navi trackers was in fact never released anywhere but japan, it is in fact part of 4 swords adventures as a minigame: http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Navi_Trackers so how would it be canon? From the few pics i've seen of it, it doesn't feature anywhere from WW or PH.

Hyrule warriors: i'd say the biggest reason for it not being canon is because it just simply doesn't fit, theres no where in the Established timeline this can fit, the crossovers alone make it null n void for that reason, but also because we see character who wouldn't rightfully exist in the states we see them in HWs. It's basically an amalgamation of the "best" features of several games.

I won't say HW doesn't have the possibility of being canon, people can say it's a dynasty warriors game or it's made by different devs but so? Minish cap and the oracle games are from capcom, they've had Grezzo aid with remakes. I'd say if theres a game that can actually tie the events of HW in properly and securely (to set those ill at ease) then it'd probably be excepted. Well when the finished version of HW occurs considering we've had more remakes than most of the other games.

https://zelda.gamepedia.com/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Four_Swords

Gotta point out Four Swords did have an original release then it was ported and combined with ALTTP.

Not sure where it says this? From looking at the link, all I could see was that it was originally released alongside ALTTP, and then later the anniversary edition, which was only a limited time. I could be wrong though, where does it say this on the link?

Link's crossbow was a true spin off as in it featured technology not currently available at that time in hyrule and the appearance of stallord whom was actually slain.

Yes but that's why I said it could just be Link's dream. Dreams don't have to make sense.

Navi trackers was in fact never released anywhere but japan, it is in fact part of 4 swords adventures as a minigame: http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Navi_Trackers so how would it be canon? From the few pics i've seen of it, it doesn't feature anywhere from WW or PH.

As said, the part of FSA argument is the same case as FS being part of ALTTP (as far as I know). I've watched bits of playthroughs of this, I don't claim to know a lot about it, but from what I read about it, it takes place directly after TWW, where Link has to prove to Tetra that he is a true pirate. The multiple Links of this game are not part of the four sword, but are actually pirates disguised as Link. Also I knew that this was a Japan-release only, but I don't really see that as a big reason not to make it canon, many Final Fantasy games of the main series were originally Japan-only releases, and some of those are only officially available elsewhere in the form of remakes. Also, who's to say that Navi Trackers won't see a Switch release? Might not be likely but who knows...

Hyrule warriors: i'd say the biggest reason for it not being canon is because it just simply doesn't fit, theres no where in the Established timeline this can fit, the crossovers alone make it null n void for that reason, but also because we see character who wouldn't rightfully exist in the states we see them in HWs. It's basically an amalgamation of the "best" features of several games.

I won't say HW doesn't have the possibility of being canon, people can say it's a dynasty warriors game or it's made by different devs but so? Minish cap and the oracle games are from capcom, they've had Grezzo aid with remakes. I'd say if theres a game that can actually tie the events of HW in properly and securely (to set those ill at ease) then it'd probably be excepted. Well when the finished version of HW occurs considering we've had more remakes than most of the other games.

I don't know much about HW as I only played it once, when it came out, and I couldn't get used to the gameplay. I hope to go back to it though. But story-wise I can't remember much, other than it contains characters from the past 3 timelines, that cannot possibly exist together. So I understand that. But I was thinking that maybe in the future they could make a zelda game where the timelines merge, making HW possible?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Not sure where it says this? From looking at the link, all I could see was that it was originally released alongside ALTTP, and then later the anniversary edition, which was only a limited time. I could be wrong though, where does it say this on the link?

It was released in 2004 alongside ALTTP for the GBA (theres even roms floating around of it as a seperate game still) They got combined together for the anniversary as noted at the page bottom.

Yes but that's why I said it could just be Link's dream. Dreams don't have to make sense.

While this is true and zelda games follow no discernible pattern i'd still question any validity of a dream as it has technology that doesn't exist at all in zeldas history.

As said, the part of FSA argument is the same case as FS being part of ALTTP (as far as I know). I've watched bits of playthroughs of this, I don't claim to know a lot about it, but from what I read about it, it takes place directly after TWW, where Link has to prove to Tetra that he is a true pirate. The multiple Links of this game are not part of the four sword, but are actually pirates disguised as Link. Also I knew that this was a Japan-release only, but I don't really see that as a big reason not to make it canon, many Final Fantasy games of the main series were originally Japan-only releases, and some of those are only officially available elsewhere in the form of remakes. Also, who's to say that Navi Trackers won't see a Switch release? Might not be likely but who knows...

Reason i was stating about the japan only thing ,is it's only recently gotten coverage in the states and britain and so if they'd included it people would've been slightly annoyed (as they were anyway) when they realized it was a japan exclusive

I don't know much about HW as I only played it once, when it came out, and I couldn't get used to the gameplay. I hope to go back to it though. But story-wise I can't remember much, other than it contains characters from the past 3 timelines, that cannot possibly exist together. So I understand that. But I was thinking that maybe in the future they could make a zelda game where the timelines merge, making HW possible?

Honestly that's what i'm thinking but even at a unification point it still wouldn't really be logical or possible due to the crossovers. Then again we can always hope for a timeline restructuring.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
If it's a dream and it never happened, why would you even consider it canon? It didn't actually happen. Link didn't learn any lessons, nothing affected the real world... there would be literally no point to this

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
If it's a dream and it never happened, why would you even consider it canon? It didn't actually happen. Link didn't learn any lessons, nothing affected the real world... there would be literally no point to this
Links Awakening was basically a dream to be fair

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
HW cannot be canon. It features impossible corssovers

They use portals to bring characters from alternate timelines over. There is no reason why it can't be canon as they all can return to their own universes after the gane with no effect on their own worlds and without impacting the timeline.

Jamie

But it was a dream taken physical form. And not Link's dream; that of a godlike being, a minor deity. Even if it's never mentioned again, LA probably had a decent effect on both the world and Link himself.
It was all a dream; I used to read word up magazine.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
It was all a dream; I used to read word up magazine.
I've always read the game as the dreamscape within the wind fish's mind was made real. That's how Link was able to enter. Especially with the hint that the seagull at the end is Marin, that means that the dream left something physical behind.

Just the OCD in me in wanting to include it I guess, but also, even though it didn't 'happen', it is still something that Link experienced, which for me is reason enough to make it canon. Basically, I think there's no reason not to make it canon if Four Swords gets to be.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Just the OCD in me in wanting to include it I guess, but also, even though it didn't 'happen', it is still something that Link experienced, which for me is reason enough to make it canon. Basically, I think there's no reason not to make it canon if Four Swords gets to be.
But Four Swords adds something to the overall story of the world. It continues the cycle of Vaati, it introduces the power of the Four Sword, and it serves as a prequel to the much more important Four Swords Adventures. FS, as simplistic as its story is, at least has one.

Jamie

I've always read the game as the dreamscape within the wind fish's mind was made real. That's how Link was able to enter. Especially with the hint that the seagull at the end is Marin, that means that the dream left something physical behind.
It was a quote from "Juicy" by Biggie Smalls

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom