• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

All The Zelda Games Are In A Dream

TattooArtist

I'm the B and my boyfriend is the T in LGBT ❤
Almost every single Zelda game starts with Link waking up. BOTW - he woke up in a pod, SS - It starts with a dream (or nightmare) and he is awoken by a loftwing. And of course, many other games including the 2 and 3 dimensional Switch, Wii and DS games. Of course it could just be there to be funny, and I could be being over analytical, but it could symbolise this :

The Hero's courage is awakening inside him.

In certain Zelda games there is a known "hero" or "hero in green" but they don't always straight forwardly mention Link, this particularly is demonstrated in Phantom of Hourglass. This could show that there has been a hero before Link, or a reincarnation of Link and Nintendo may be referring to the previous games in the Zelda series. The colour green, the colour of Link's signature and yet classic outfit, symbolises renewal. This supports the fact that the "hero" before was in fact a reincarnation of Link and once he has saved Hyrule and defeated evil, he goes back to sleep and wakes up to a new start.

It seems uncharacteristic for Link to just be sleeping in where he is a hero and has to save Hyrule from evil. This dream could just happen to start off with the cliché, waking up. He wouldn't rest until the Triforce is safe, Ganon/Ganondorf/Calamity Ganon is defeated and the last Metroid is in captivity. If Link was dreaming these, it would explain the familiar themes and places, and why the history almost repeats itself. Maybe every time Link wakes up, its an indication the previous game was a dream.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well we know at least one of the games is in a dream and that is Links Awakening. If they were all intended to be within dreams then it is likely that would have been stated. But going off what we see in the games there isn't too much to suggest link is actually dreaming everything.

In many games Link can sleep and eat. Dreams containing food are common yes, but people don't tend to sleep during their dreams seeing as they are already doing so. Though the fact Link never poos is evidence to support the dream theory since Link would need to do his business at some point on a long adventure and we never see that. However most games do not have their protagonists going to the toilet even though they are not intended to be dreaming.

Link sleeping at the beginning of many games is in all likelihood just there for comedic effect. To show that even a lazy boy can save the world.

The evidence for this theory is deffinitely questionable, but it is quite odd that despite having several very powerful allies, a single individual with no cridentials whatsoever always ends up doing more than his share of the work. Prophecy or not, I'd be a bit hesitant to place the future of the world on some random kid.

That being said, vague backstories and story details (or even better, none altogether..) makes for a more relatable character and makes daydreaming much more enjoyable. Recurring themes, likewise, are recognizable in any successful franchise, and so long as we enjoy them, there's no reason for radical change to the formula.

..and just to clarify, I like this theory and look forward to seeing it cleaned up a bit :)

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I prefer to go along the lines of them all being legends being recounted we know this actually happened in WW as they dress children up in imitation of OOT Link so not so far fetched.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I mean, that could explain basically any game and stuff that makes zero sense...

Don't forget that dreaming in Zelda isn't actually dreaming. It's getting into a bed and then just "waking up" a second later. That is entirely possible in a dream

Indeed. All Zelda games are a dream, a dream in a death... they are a vision "Link" is having as the life fades out of him and he passes through a judgement of his soul. In each game Link has to go on a journey to defeat evil, personified by "Ganon", a ruler of evil... this journey is analogous to the path taken in life, and redemption... the final act of slaying the beast, Ganon, is symbolic of conquering his fears and regrets. The series is all dreamtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom