• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ranking the Star Wars Films

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
So with The Last Jedi now in theatres and slaying at the box office and getting extremely good reviews all around, I thought it would be a good time to see how everybody feels about the 9 (or 10) theatrical films in the franchise (so not including the terrible tv movies from the 80s).

The 10 films I'm considering are:
The prequels
The OT
Ep VII and VIII
Rogue One
The Clone Wars (which I haven't seen and don't intend to)

I need to re-watch the films to to truly finalize my ranking, but going into a chronological re-watch, it looks like this:

9: Attack of the Clones
8: The Phantom Menace
7: Return of the Jedi
6: Revenge of the Sith
5: The Force Awakens
4: A New Hope
3: Rogue One
2: The Last Jedi
1: The Empire Strikes Back

This list changes a lot, and the 5th to 7th ones often switch places. I'll have a more definite list after I finish rewatching the series.

But what about you guys?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
So I'll preface this by saying I haven't seen the original trilogy in a long time. That said:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Rogue One
  3. The Last Jedi
  4. A New Hope
  5. The Force Awakens
  6. Return of the Jedi
  7. Revenge of the Sith
  8. The Phantom Menace
  9. Attack of the Clones

I only saw TLJ yesterday, so the placement is still iffy, but it's definitely somewhere in the top 3. Those first 3 tend to jump around a lot for now.6 and 7 tend to switch around some to, but RoJ ends up on top more often.

Stormageden747

Zofian General
  1. The Last Jedi
  2. The Empire Strikes Back
  3. Rouge One
  4. The Force Awakens
  5. A New Hope
  6. Return of the Jedi
  7. Revenge of the Sith
  8. The Phantom Menace
  9. Attack of the Clones

I love Star Wars! Also, I think the prequels are s**t.

After thinking about it over the past 48 hours, I'm not a fan of The Last Jedi, and am severely disappointed by it. Really wish JJ had done the entirety of the sequel trilogy.

1.) Return of the Jedi
2.) Empire Strikes Back
3.) Revenge of the Sith
4.) Force Awakens
5.) A New Hope
6.) The Last Jedi
7.) Phantom Menace
8.) Attack of the Clones

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
After thinking about it over the past 48 hours, I'm not a fan of The Last Jedi, and am severely disappointed by it. Really wish JJ had done the entirety of the sequel trilogy.

Agreed about The Last Jedi. However, for better or for worse, I wish Lucas would have been in charge of this trilogy.

With that said, I think this entire franchise is overrated. I love Star Wars, but the fanbase is the absolute worst. They treat the original trilogy like these holy and untouchable films despite how horribly flawed they are. They were so poorly put together, that when given full context of the story with the prequels, a lot of moments and character interactions feel really disappointing and downright don't make sense at times. The entire franchise is filled with poor decisions and missed opportunities, but they're still really fun and interesting despite those shortcomings. But most of all, it was all Lucas' vision and given how toxic the fans were towards the prequels, we no longer get to see Lucas fulfill his vision and now we have a bunch of whiny hypocrites who got their wish and don't like it.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens, but The Last Jedi really does everything to make that film mean nothing, which was really disappointing. So, without the context of Episode IX, I find it rather difficult to rank these new films, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

1. Return of the Jedi
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. The Force Awakens
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Last Jedi
7. The Phantom Menace
8. A New Hope

The Last Jedi could have done without all the Finn and Rose stuff and the film would have been better and largely no different.

9. Attack of the Clones
8. Phantom Menace
7. Return of the Jedi
6. A New Hope
5. Empire Strikes Back (not even sure what happens in this one)
4. Revenge of the Sith
3. Rogue One
2. Last Jedi
1. Force Awakens

Im not a Star Wars fan. Dont hate me.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I saw the last Jedi twice already and I consider it one of the better ones. Still Revenge of The Sith is still my absolute best. Ian McDiarmid was brilliant in that and was the reason I rank it at the top.

1 Revenge of The Sith
2 The Force Awakens
3 The Last Jedi
4 Attack of The Clones
5 Return of The Jedi
6 The Phantom Menace
7 The Empire Strikes Back
8 A New Hope
9 Rogue One

In my opinion. 1 being the best.

1. A New Hope
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Revenge Of the Sith
4. The Last Jedi
5. Empire Strikes Back
6. Phantom Menace
7. Attack of the Clones
8. Force Awakens
9. Rogue One

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I agree. Though as a non-fan i dont think my opinion goes very far. I also didnt grow up with them so their revolutionary status was lost on me.

Quite like your top spot personally. Wookie planet!

I wasn't old enough to have appreciated the status of the originals when I watched them. They were just films that I liked. I was still really young when The Phantom Menace came out and we all loved it. I must have seen it 6 times at the cinema.

Walking carpet planet.

Pen

The game is on!
1. The Last Jedi
2. Return of the Jedi
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. The Force Awakens
6. A New Hope
7. Rogue One
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Attack of the Clones

Obviously I still have the experience of The Last Jedi very fresh in my mind, but man I was completely blown away by it. My spontaneous reaction is that it's become my new favourite Star Wars film, but I guess we'll see if that changes over time. Either way, I cannot wait to watch it again! :)

My ranking goes in almost chronological order. The Last Jedi might change after watching it a second time.

1. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
4. Rogue One
5. The Last Jedi
6. The Force Awakens
7. Revenge of the Sith
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Attack of the Clones

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
This whole commercial franchise really is a mess. It's difficult to appreciate anything beyond the first three because the storytelling is among some of the worst I've ever witnessed, anywhere. I'm talking Sonic the Hedgehog fanfiction levels of godawfulness.

1.) The Empire Strikes Back - pretty much the only one that can be considered to have its own actually good actual story in-and-of-itself.
2.) A New Hope - a mind bogglingly impressive straight forward action romp with smart character building, expert plot pacing, and some simple world building for good measure.
3.) Return of the Jedi - a meandering plot that devolves into a sudden an inexplicable rehash of the first movie holds this one back. Everything else is outstanding.
4.) Rogue One - or Star Wars with balls, as I refer to it. Somebody read my mind and portrayed a grittier rebellion but kept the Empire the same old cartoon villains. Nonexistent characterization of the cast (with a couple of exceptions) hold it back, but a suspenseful plot and the second best space battle in the series make it shine.

Literally everything else is total garbage. Complete trash. Utter bunk. Absolute poo-poo. I could torture us with a three hour comprehensive write up of everything that's wrong with the prequels (which is everything) but we have Red Letter Media for that. I mean, sure you could just watch the prequels but who would want to subject themselves to that torture more than once?

The Farce Awakens and The Last Jedi are lazy cynical cash grabs with incompetent storytelling on par with the prequels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom