• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's with the Skyward Sword hate?

Hey ZD,

So i hear alot of people both on this site and in just talking to people say they do not like Skyward sword. some people outright hating on it. what gives? I pre-ordered it had the golden wii mote and all. I got maybe halfway through the game (or so) and while i cant really remember much story wise, i remember thinking it was cool. what gives? How do you feel about skyward sword? i'd like to hear both your positive and negatives on it.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Hey ZD,

So i hear alot of people both on this site and in just talking to people say they do not like Skyward sword. some people outright hating on it. what gives? I pre-ordered it had the golden wii mote and all. I got maybe halfway through the game (or so) and while i cant really remember much story wise, i remember thinking it was cool. what gives? How do you feel about skyward sword? i'd like to hear both your positive and negatives on it.

You've basically said my biggest issue, it's not overly memorable. Some of the Bosses such as Koloktos outshine the rest while others like ghirahim and inmprisoned make you regret ever looking at the game, plus the whole revisiting the same area but with subtle variations that aren't so variable or subtle

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Poor story- The story of Skyward Sword was poor. As a result of the Wii motion plus being made to be the focus of the game midway through development rather than the natural evolution of story and gameplay that Aounuma said occured with Twilight Princess, we ended up with a forced story centred around the master sword. This story was not well thought out and as a result ending up contradicting established lore. The biggest example being that the Master Sword was shown to be created by Link from the Goddess Sword rather than being forged by the ancient sages as was stated in other games. *Whiny voice* 'Oh but the tales are legends. These events were forgotten by history and retold incorrectly' Yeah yeah yeah. They obviously intended for the ancient sages to be the creators as this is mentioned in several games. The Legend crap is just an excuse for them to not think about the lore and change things at will. And when they aren't constrained by the lore, the lore ceases to make sense just like it has done now.

The story was also a complete disappointment as Nintendo promised SS to be a great prequel to OOT and explain all the answers to the questions we had. Instead it made more questions and those very few answers it did give were underwhelming and unsatisfactory.

Music- There were some great pieces of music in Skyward Sword to be sure. There was also some truly questionable uses of it. For instance a merry waltz that plays during Stalfos battles. Are we to dance with the skeleton or be pumped for a fight with it? Come on. And as for the introduction of Demise, the ultimate evil. We get a reused piece of music that was also used to introduce Batreaux...a comical character.

Art Style- Hideous. Hideous. Hideous. Not only is the game a blurry haze due to the painterly effect, even in emulators which clean the look up still show the game is gaudy and ugly. It is nauseating to look at.

Characters- There were a few good characters in the game. Impa, Ghirahim, Zelda and Groose. These have decent development whether you like them or not. However with Twilight Princess we got Midna. The most thought out and developed character in the series and SS still felt like a downgrade after Nintendo showed what they were really capable of in terms of development.

Overworld- Segmented and unbelievable. We had TP where the world was inviting to explore and kind of felt like it could be a real place. SS was the opposite like it was specifically designed as a game world with puzzles in places there shouldn't be puzzles and obstacles everywhere instead of natural landscape formations. This created a disconnect between the game world and player and made it hard to immerse oneself.

Villain- A Ganon clone with no development and five minutes of screen time. Also spent most of the game as a pinecone. Not threatening at all. Should have kept Ghirahim as the sole villain or brought in the REAL Ganon who actually has some gravity as a character due to being in many games already.

Year of release- 2011. That's 5 years after TP and they managed to improve virtually nothing over that game. Had SS released in 2006 it would have been more acceptable but times move on and so do the quality of games. You expect a sequel to do what its predecessor did but better, however SS failed to do that.

MW7

It is a great game but not groundbreaking like others in the series. I think it's far and away the most cinematic Zelda game which a lot of people like. The motion controls are neat but not to the extent that you would want to play every game in that style. Skyward Sword was a solid entry in the series. Not the best and not the worst, but better than most.

I think the thing that Skyward Sword does best is the quality of the quests between dungeons. This is my pet peeve in Zelda games as I love dungeons and am impatient to get from one to the other. The length of these quests steadily increased from LoZ to Skyward Sword. In my opinion Skyward Sword was the first one that actually had fun quests between dungeons. The Silent Realms were amazing, and I enjoyed the Song of the Hero as well. Some of the early quests dragged on a bit, but overall it was a huge improvement over Twilight Princess in this regard. However I heavily prefer Breath of the Wild's method of just making everything optional and no longer having hoops to jump through to progress through the game.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I don't know what more there is to say after Deus just /thread -ed the socks out of this topic.

I remember when the reveal of SS - that badass look'n concept art drawn in the same style as Twilight Princess - clearly announced that the Master Sword would be a sidekick character.

I was thinking "AWESOME!!" They're gonna do to the Blade of Evil's Bane what they did with Midna in TP!! It makes so much sense!! This is going to add a whole new layer of awesome to the series past and future! This is gonna be sick.

Instead we got "I detect a 99% chance this game is boiling ****e" Fi, one of the most obnoxious and irritating sidekicks in a video game. Ever. And that's an impressive feat.

It's not just that Suckward Skurd is a toilet bowl of bad decisions. It's that it could have been so much better. And we waited over half a freaking decade for it!!

For the life of me, I still cannot fathom how Ninty went from Twilight Princess to Suckward Smort. The complete 180 reversal in competence is so astonishing it gives me whiplash. And Ninty was in the business of making bad decisions at the time. Exclusively. And only recently have they shown any indication that they've finally managed to pull their collective heads out of their collective backsides.

The Wii->WiiU era is going to be looked at as Ninty's Pants on Head period. Suckward was just one of many stinkers from that time. I hope we're past that. But I'll probably never have any reason to ever own any nintendo hardware again. It doesn't look like they're ever going to make a Zelda game that appeals to me ever again. Nintendo's heart and soul just isn't in it anymore. That's evident in both SS and BotW. BotW is an honest effort, not the train wreck of compound stupid that SS is, but both are utterly soulless and vapid.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I happen to be on the side of Skyward Sword lovers.

Characters: Ghirahim is really cool, Groose is amazing, Zelda's alright

Grapics: I didn't mind them. They remind me a lot of the BoTW graphics

Story: I liked the story a lot.

Dungeons: Great dungeons. I loved them

Music: The music was great and fitting to me. Even the waltz in a way

Combat: I'm a fencer. While Swordfighting and fencing are different, it's fun to change line and actually swing your sword, even if it does freak out sometimes

Overworld: I'm a linear kind of person, so I didn't mind it

The Sky: I hated flying Loftwings... That was not good

Bosses: Other than the Avocado Monster "The Imprisoned", I liked all of the bosses

Fi: Yeah, she's annoying, but it was a nice try

The motion controls can be really frustrating sometimes.

Some of the characters are so annoying, such as the rescue knights that scold you when you accidentally fall, Groose before he turned into a nice guy, Link being such a lovey-dovey character, Zelda hippopotamus face being a lovey-dovey doormat who pushes you off cliffs, whines and teases you all the time and she cries tears of joy at the end. Probably why she is overly nice because she doesn't suppress her emotions, Gaepora who doesn't even spank his daughter for her jealousy with the charming Link's relationship with his loftwing and he doesn't even spank her for teasing Link all the time. Fi who always states obvious things, and the girl who scolds you when you drops pumpkins.

I also hate Link's relationship with Zelda triangle lip because they are too different and I always hated all Zeldas. I hate SS Zelda for the reasons I stated above and this is why Link shouldn't be in a relationship with her, I mean why am I in a freaking relationship with a childish young girl who teases me all the time and pushes me off cliffs?

The ending, Link not comforting or doing something about Zelda triangle lip crying like a 13 year old at the end was horrible. Also the scene after the credits was horrible, Groose leaves Earth for some reason and they didn't explain Groose's reason for leaving or the lovey-dovey Link's reason for staying on Earth.

Last edited:
Well thanks to everybody who replied to my thread here. After reading all you had to say it kinda opened my eyes to afew things. I remember the one thing I didn't like was how you could only enter I think it was three zones you had to jump off your bird into. I wish the world was bigger and more immersive. I think im still gonna re-order this game so i can play and see the good and bad for myself again.

Ghirahim and Groose were the only characters that made the game good, everyone else was terrible. This also featured the worst incarnation of Princess Zelda.

The dungeons were interesting, but reusing Ghirahim to fill a boss slot is unforgivable.

Speaking of which, fighting the same boss 3 times is ridiculous, and there were two cases of this with Ghirahim and The Imprisoned.

The Motion Controls themselves would end up out of sync quite commonly and require being centered again.

As said above, Demise was a massive disappointment of a boss. He looked like another character from a different game, his battle was over quite quickly, altogether underwhelming.

The art style was atrocious, I can't tell if it was intentional or not for it to look like that, but it clearly wasn't a popular decision.

The sky around Skyloft was completely barren and uneventful asides a few islands with easily forgotten purposes.

Lastly, and this is my personal opinion, the introduction to durability. They did this with Shields, and it wasn't a fun gimmick, especially the 2nd time around.

I had to grin and bear through all of this twice, the 2nd time for a walkthrough.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Lastly, and this is my personal opinion, the introduction to durability. The did this with Shields, and it was,'t a fun gimmick, especially the 2nd time around.

Yeah I hated this and even more so in BoTW. Didn't bother mentioning it because it because it doesn't seem to bother that many people for some reason.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I'm one of the few people here who actually enjoyed Skyward Sword. I thought the art style was nice, never had issues with the motion controls, and just had fun over all
Shield durability could've been better, and fighting Ghirahim and the Imprisoned three times each gets pretty tiresome. Still better than plenty of other Zelda gams imo

The only problems I had were the motion controls (probably didn’t help that I had a really cheap ripoff of the motion plus thing) and the fact that you have to jump off the wooden platforms when using the loftwing on skyloft.

Ghirahim and Groose were the only characters that made the game good, everyone else was terrible. This also featured the worst incarnation of Princess Zelda.

The dungeons were interesting, but reusing Ghirahim to fill a boss slot is unforgivable.

Speaking of which, fighting the same boss 3 times is ridiculous, and there were two cases of this with Ghirahim and The Imprisoned.

The Motion Controls themselves would end up out of sync quite commonly and require being centered again.

As said above, Demise was a massive disappointment of a boss. He looked like another character from a different game, his battle was over quite quickly, altogether underwhelming.

The art style was atrocious, I can't tell if it was intentional or not for it to look like that, but it clearly wasn't a popular decision.

The sky around Skyloft was completely barren and uneventful asides a few islands with easily forgotten purposes.

Lastly, and this is my personal opinion, the introduction to durability. They did this with Shields, and it wasn't a fun gimmick, especially the 2nd time around.

I had to grin and bear through all of this twice, the 2nd time for a walkthrough.

I agree with you, SS Zelda and Link are two of the worst incarnations with BOTW Zelda and Link being the second worst. Groose, after he has changed, Ghirahim and Demise are the only main characters I cared about.

The art style has Link's lips a little too big and Zelda looking like a frog, monkey, and hippopotamus, with a triangle or O-shaped lip.

I don't know why people like SS Zelda so much. She treats the player with mischief all the time as if she hasn't been out of tenth grade, I mean who would want a girlfriend/boyfriend who teases you all the time, jumps on your flying loftbird like an idiot and pushes you off cliffs? I'd rather they make her a much more mature, stoic and down-to-earth character like Link, one who doesn't cry tears of joy over the typical happy ending like a 13 year old. Link also doesn't go around pushing people off cliffs, jumping on loftbirds without whistling and teasing people all the time, it would've been better if she were more like him.

"Well, I'm a goddess so I'm going to stop acting like an idiotic immature teenager, doesn't cut it. She still was an idiot who acted as if she hasn't been out of tenth grade yet."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom