• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword has too much crying in it

Another thing that disappointed me about SS is how much emotion it has. The game is full of drama and emotion and I don't think that that's normal in a Zelda game. Zelda games, like most other kids games would usually have a few crying scenes in them, like 1-3. But this game has way too much crying in it. Zelda cried twice, Link cried once, Groose cried like 5 times, Cawlin cried whether you give the letter to the ghost or the letter to Karane. That is 9 times and it is too much emotion put into one game. I know it was meant to be a drama but I prefer most dramas not to have more than a few crying scenes in them.

What really got me angry was Zelda crying tears of joy at the end, over something typical in a movie or a game which is a happy ending and most other characters don't cry tears of joy over happy endings. I mean, I was so done with this game and its excessive crying. I'm not angry at Link for crying because I like how the game showed once that Link can have human emotions too and not just be a robot with little emotions.

I don't care if they're young characters. Why can't they just have the characters experience a time where they pull themselves together instead of being some soap opera teen melodrama?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
More emotion is good. All characters should be allowed to feel things strongly; Link especially, but others too. I'm really confused by your idea that Zelda games, or kids games in general, don't have a lot of emotion. That's such a bizarre notion to have to me. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being emotional.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
As much as i hate agreeing with Pinkarray why on earth was there so many emotional scenes in this particular installment? OOT had literally 7 years of apocalypse but outside of castle town people seem fine with things. Kakariko is a lil more crowded but you don't see people bursting into tears cuz of this. Hell Talon shoulda burst into tears when he reclaimed Lon Lon ranch but nope nothing.

Was this cuz Ninty was trying to make a more humane "link" to the player? Tug their heartstrings tug their wallets?

More emotion is good. All characters should be allowed to feel things strongly; Link especially, but others too. I'm really confused by your idea that Zelda games, or kids games in general, don't have a lot of emotion. That's such a bizarre notion to have to me. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being emotional.

I played Ocarina of Time and wasn't there like one crying scene from a Goron? I don't remember any other crying scenes, it was a dark game, but I don't think there was very many crying scenes.

I'm playing Twilight Princess now and I only saw like three crying scenes already from Beth, Ilia, and Midna. And that is a dark game, too.

Didn't Sonic Adventure 2 Battle have like two crying scenes? I don't remember Tak and the Great Juju Challenge having any crying scenes. I remember Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom and Nicktoons Unite had like one crying scene to name several of the games I've beat.

I didn't find Ocarina of Time very emotional. I don't get very emotional when watching or playing fictional stuff, also because I think I played OOT at the time where I was only crying like every four months so I had a really tough time crying back then.

I don't like most emotional people, I prefer unemotional people like Link. Though most movies, books and even games have at least one crying scene in them, very short films don't usually have crying in them.

I don't like stuff with a whole lot of crying in them. My mom watches a soap opera and since I was 10, I would complain "There's too much crying!"

As much as i hate agreeing with Pinkarray why on earth was there so many emotional scenes in this particular installment? OOT had literally 7 years of apocalypse but outside of castle town people seem fine with things. Kakariko is a lil more crowded but you don't see people bursting into tears cuz of this. Hell Talon shoulda burst into tears when he reclaimed Lon Lon ranch but nope nothing.

Was this cuz Ninty was trying to make a more humane "link" to the player? Tug their heartstrings tug their wallets?

It's okay, you don't have to be ashamed for agreeing with me. I like it when somebody agrees with my opinion on a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I personally liked some of the emotion. Emotion helps understand the importance of going after an objective. And crying can result from any emotion being felt strongly (you said yourself, Zelda cries when she's sad and then later cries tears of joy). Unlike you, I usually find crying scenes to be pretty great because you see a character at their most vulnerable. My favorite memory from BoTW is the crying one.

I also wouldn't put Cawlin crying in SS at the same level as Link/Zelda crying. Cawlin's crying is a comedic thing and also a result of most side characters in SS being over the top. It's not trying to illicit the same emotional response from the player as Zelda encasing herself in the crystal. I think the same can be said about Groose crying (or at least a few of the times?? I don't remember him crying all that much).

I personally liked some of the emotion. Emotion helps understand the importance of going after an objective. And crying can result from any emotion being felt strongly (you said yourself, Zelda cries when she's sad and then later cries tears of joy). Unlike you, I usually find crying scenes to be pretty great because you see a character at their most vulnerable. My favorite memory from BoTW is the crying one.

I see some people crying as weak, I don't like to display my vulnerable side and I don't like seeing other people display their vulnerable side. Which crying scene? The one that was in the trailer? Well, I like BOTW so far but I find Zelda to be a depressed and angry character and I don't like that.

I also wouldn't put Cawlin crying in SS at the same level as Link/Zelda crying. Cawlin's crying is a comedic thing and also a result of most side characters in SS being over the top. It's not trying to illicit the same emotional response from the player as Zelda encasing herself in the crystal. I think the same can be said about Groose crying (or at least a few of the times?? I don't remember him crying all that much).

Cawlin's crying was funny but that's still 9 crying scenes. When you talk to Groose after Zelda is kidnapped, he starts sobbing. He also starts sobbing when you talk to him while he was punching a wall. Groose cried tears of joy after Link wakes up Zelda, he cries after Link explains to him about the surface, he also cries after Impa disappears.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I see some people crying as weak, I don't like to display my vulnerable side and I don't like seeing other people display their vulnerable side. Which crying scene? The one that was in the trailer? Well, I like BOTW so far but I find Zelda to be a depressed and angry character and I don't like that.

We probably are just going to disagree with each other on this one. I don't see any problem when people are vulnerable; I find it to be intimate and genuine. But thats just my opinion on the matter.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I don't really remember too much emotion in SS. There was some moments, but not many that I remember. Definitely didn't have much crying though

I see some people crying as weak, I don't like to display my vulnerable side and I don't like seeing other people display their vulnerable side.
In Homer's The Odyssey, Odysseus was seen as strong due to his expression of emotion. Not being afraid to show "weakness" by crying is considered strength, because your strength isn't superficial enough to be broken by the display of emotion.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think that emotion being displayed in a game is a negative thing. Showing crying can make a game feel more realistic, and its characters feel more relatable and genuine for most people. Of course there is a possibility that emotion can be overdone or seem non-genuine but I didn't personally think that was the case in Skyward Sword. I love seeing characters getting emotional in all forms of media and if it is done well enough to make the audience cry or feel emotional too, then the developers/content makers have done their jobs well.

As graphics improve and developers are able to better display character emotions through more vivid expressions I'd expect we would be seeing more and more emotion being used. Perhaps graphical limitations in the past have hindered fully effective portrayal of emotion in some video games but I don't think that this has been a large problem for some time now.

I don't think that emotion being displayed in a game is a negative thing. Showing crying can make a game feel more realistic, and its characters feel more relatable and genuine for most people. Of course there is a possibility that emotion can be overdone or seem non-genuine but I didn't personally think that was the case in Skyward Sword. I love seeing characters getting emotional in all forms of media and if it is done well enough to make the audience cry or feel emotional too, then the developers/content makers have done their jobs well.

As graphics improve and developers are able to better display character emotions through more vivid expressions I'd expect we would be seeing more and more emotion being used. Perhaps graphical limitations in the past have hindered fully effective portrayal of emotion in some video games but I don't think that this has been a large problem for some time now.

What about people that don't display emotions? They're out there, too. I'm the type to usually suppress my emotions. I can't relate to characters when they're in a game with a lot of crying in them. I don't tend to empathize with people a lot like that, especially fictional characters. I don't cry over fiction very much. Because of how much I hate Zelda, seeing her sealing herself didn't affect me much, it just made me glad.

I like comedy a bit more than drama. I don't like comedy where people are doing mean things, but I like comedies because they make me laugh and happy. I don't like dramas because most dramas tend to pull at your emotions and I don't like stuff like that.

Breath of the Wild showed a depressed Zelda in there who was crying and I didn't like how depressed she was because I don't like depressed characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom