• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword Ending

I have questions and opinions about the very end with Zelda telling Link that she wants to stay on the surface. This is baffling to me.

I think that that was a pretty idiotic decision of her to decide to stay on the surface, I mean, what is she and Link like 17 or 18? Why doesn't Zelda decide to go back to Skyloft with her father? Where is her momma at anyway? Wouldn't her father be worrying about his daughter if she wants to stay on the surface?

And wasn't Link training to be a knight? Would he still be going to Knight Academy if he decides to stay on the surface with Zelda? Where are Link's parents? If these kids had a momma, would they decide to stay on the surface with their momma?

I believe that Zelda would still be visiting her father often and Link would still be visiting Skyloft and still going to school, right?

Also, when Zelda asked Link what he wanted to do, what did Link decide to do? Kiss her? Ask her to marry him?

Why are there loftwings flying without them? Are they just flying because they want to? I heard that it may be because they don't need them anymore, but what if they wanted to go someplace else with those loftwings?

Tell me what you guys think.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I feel like this is a big ol troll thread but i'll bite and answer.

1) zelda's mother is undoubtedly dead as is links parents
2) 18 is old enough to drink so it's old enough to move out
3) Link trained to be a knight and i'd say having killed the source of evil in the land he's proven he doesn't need to return to the academy.
4) Loftwings don't need a rider to fly about
5) Travel between land and sky was possible as soon as holes through the cloud barrier were created as we saw with groose Link ain't the only one to pass through. Also the fact that with Demise being dead Skyloft doesn't really have a need to be protected so the cloud barrier likely dispersed under Hylia's command and those left on Skyloft became freaky chickens.
6) Link is Zelda's knight and they love each other or so it's implied so chances are they had kids.

i was gonna joke about this but then i realized fi and ghirahim probably actually did something like that, so it's not totally out of the question
They talked about this? Where was that at? I don't recall...

I feel like this is a big ol troll thread but i'll bite and answer.

1) zelda's mother is undoubtedly dead as is links parents
2) 18 is old enough to drink so it's old enough to move out
3) Link trained to be a knight and i'd say having killed the source of evil in the land he's proven he doesn't need to return to the academy.
4) Loftwings don't need a rider to fly about
5) Travel between land and sky was possible as soon as holes through the cloud barrier were created as we saw with groose Link ain't the only one to pass through. Also the fact that with Demise being dead Skyloft doesn't really have a need to be protected so the cloud barrier likely dispersed under Hylia's command and those left on Skyloft became freaky chickens.
6) Link is Zelda's knight and they love each other or so it's implied so chances are they had kids.

2. In my country, 18 is too young to drink and I never talked about them drinking.

3. So, that means Link is too smart to even be allowed to go to academy?

4. I was asking do the kids still use their loftwings to visit places in the sky such as Skyloft?

5. I didn't say Link was the only one who can go to the surface.

6. Link and Zelda sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G, first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in a baby carriage.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
2. In my country, 18 is too young to drink and I never talked about them drinking.

This is Japan i said 18 to err on the side of caution i'd say it's more likely it's 16/17 Links proven that theres not really anything that can stand in his path and zelda is a literal goddess incarnate

3. So, that means Link is too smart to even be allowed to go to academy?

Whole purpose of the Knights Academy is to train them to become Knights and defend Skyloft. Links proven himself as a knight.

4. I was asking do the kids still use their loftwings to visit places in the sky such as Skyloft?

No you actually said

Why are there loftwings flying without them? Are they just flying because they want to? I heard that it may be because they don't need them anymore, but what if they wanted to go someplace else with those loftwings?

And i only responded to the fact that they do not require people riding them to fly. Loftwings bond with their riders and i doubt link would give the crimson loftwing up.

5. I didn't say Link was the only one who can go to the surface.

not even gonna quote the original post here, you were asking if they could still visit the sky and i said that yes they can for various reasons.

6. Link and Zelda sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G, first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in a baby carriage.

You're either child or a very immature adult something tells me the latter and attempts at trolling.

This is Japan i said 18 to err on the side of caution i'd say it's more likely it's 16/17 Links proven that theres not really anything that can stand in his path and zelda is a literal goddess incarnate

Whole purpose of the Knights Academy is to train them to become Knights and defend Skyloft. Links proven himself as a knight.

Well, if Link is an orphan, then he logically is mature enough to take care of himself since he has no parent figure to take care of him. But still, just because Link is gritty, how does that earn him the responsibility to live by himself? He would still have to pay for the food and bedding and stuff like that, he would have to find a place to stay. My guess is that since he doesn't have any parents, he probably gained the maturity to become a responsible man. But he still is a naive, innocent kid. It's shown in other games him living by himself since he was a child and I was wondering what happened to his parents.

No you actually said

And i only responded to the fact that they do not require people riding them to fly. Loftwings bond with their riders and i doubt link would give the crimson loftwing up.

not even gonna quote the original post here, you were asking if they could still visit the sky and i said that yes they can for various reasons.

You misunderstood. I was talking about how people were implying that the loftwings flying without them suggested they didn't need their loftwings anymore. And I just wanted to ask for other peoples' opinions on what the loftwings flying without them mean, does it mean they don't need them anymore? Are they just flying around because they want to?

You're either child or a very immature adult something tells me the latter and attempts at trolling.

You're right, I'm an 18 almost 19 year old adult. I just didn't like how they didn't clarify the ending. Like Another thing that didn't make sense was why Fi wanted to leave Link. They could've gave more clearer explanation as to what was going on between Link and Zelda after the credits and why was Fi leaving Link. They could've also made a sequel about what Link and Zelda were doing after Skyward Sword events. They could've also let me continue playing the game after the ending instead of just asking me to play Hero's Mode and not let me continue running around the world. I don't know if this is true in other Zelda and Nintendo games that after the end, you can't continue running around the world like for example, in some games like Sonic Adventure. I don't know if the manga shows what happened after the events, but I just wanted to know what Link and Zelda were up to.

I wasn't trying to troll, trolling is when you make posts just to provoke others. I'm not trying to annoy others.

Last edited:
@Shironagi Calm down by the way you Zelink fanboy/fangirl. Skyward Sword isn't the best Zelda game. No need to get upset at me for expressing my opinion over a fictional video game. Just calmly answer the questions and tell me what you think happened after the ending of Skyward Sword. Also, why question me if I'm a child? Just because someone acts like a child doesn't mean they're a child. I have a development disability and that's what makes me act younger. There are 40 year olds who throw tantrums. I sometimes sing that song for people who are implied to be couples.

I wasn't intending to troll with the tropic, not trying to provoke anyone. I'm just expressing my opinion so please be nice and treats others with respect.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Well, if Link is an orphan, then he logically is mature enough to take care of himself since he has no parent figure to take care of him. But still, just because Link is gritty, how does that earn him the responsibility to live by himself? He would still have to pay for the food and bedding and stuff like that, he would have to find a place to stay. My guess is that since he doesn't have any parents, he probably gained the maturity to become a responsible man. But he still is a naive, innocent kid. It's shown in other games him living by himself since he was a child and I was wondering what happened to his parents.

You misunderstood. I was talking about how people were implying that the loftwings flying without them suggested they didn't need their loftwings anymore. And I just wanted to ask for other peoples' opinions on what the loftwings flying without them mean, does it mean they don't need them anymore? Are they just flying around because they want to?

You're right, I'm an 18 almost 19 year old adult. I just didn't like how they didn't clarify the ending. Like Another thing that didn't make sense was why Fi wanted to leave Link. They could've gave more clearer explanation as to what was going on between Link and Zelda after the credits and why was Fi leaving Link. They could've also made a sequel about what Link and Zelda were doing after Skyward Sword events. They could've also let me continue playing the game after the ending instead of just asking me to play Hero's Mode and not let me continue running around the world. I don't know if this is true in other Zelda and Nintendo games that after the end, you can't continue running around the world like for example, in some games like Sonic Adventure. I don't know if the manga shows what happened after the events, but I just wanted to know what Link and Zelda were up to.

I wasn't trying to troll, trolling is when you make posts just to provoke others. I'm not trying to annoy others.

Clearly not you actually asked if they could fly around on their own or if they required human aid in that matter. Do you not know how to read over your own posts?

Jesus christ you clearly haven't played many zelda games if you think the ending is as fiddly as it is. Nintendo's whole trade with the zelda series is ambiguity of ending. It's left up the players mind on what happened.

Clearly you are trolling at this point. you've not added anything of use to the thread hell the entire thread seems like it due to the way you "phrased" your first post. You seem to fixate on parents a fair bit in a series where theres not any emphasis on parents in fact SS is the first game in the series to show zelda with a parent ON screen.

@Shironagi Calm down by the way you Zelink fanboy/fangirl. Skyward Sword isn't the best Zelda game. No need to get upset at me for expressing my opinion over a fictional video game. Just calmly answer the questions and tell me what you think happened after the ending of Skyward Sword. Also, why question me if I'm a child? Just because someone acts like a child doesn't mean they're a child. I have a development disability and that's what makes me act younger. There are 40 year olds who throw tantrums. I sometimes sing that song for people who are implied to be couples.

I wasn't intending to troll with the tropic, not trying to provoke anyone. I'm just expressing my opinion so please be nice and treats others with respect.

Oh gee you come onto a forum for zelda fans then try to insult someone with "you zelink fanboy" you can't even spell the series name right which is laughable at best and pitiable at worst.

The fact you think saying "SS isn't the best zelda game" make you sounds like your floundering for insults at this point. Feel free to express opinions but when you express them like a ****** with no understanding of say a lemon expect to get shut down hard.

Also the reason i said you sounded like child in your thread was because it'd be easier to explain the almost childlike post on that than on someone who has mental problems which was my first assumption for you. Be happy that wasn't what i posted first.

Instead of treating you like a complete moron i actually gave you answers to your OP because like all members you deserve a response. But the fact that you clearly didn't understand it and instead went off at an arbitrary tangent when you've been given the answer makes it so this isn't worth the time and effort to explain anything to you.

there's another possibility you're forgetting,and it looks like possible turned out to be the one

I knew what the possibility was but in these days of PC if i'd have said it i would have looked like i was being unnecessarily cruel

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I think that that was a pretty idiotic decision of her to decide to stay on the surface, I mean, what is she and Link like 17 or 18?
They're probably around that age, but it makes little difference. They're both adults (or mature enough to be considered adults) and the decision was symbolic of living a life on their own terms, a major part of adulthood. Given the fantasy nature of the series, it's not much use applying a strict, real world logic to events from the games.

Why doesn't Zelda decide to go back to Skyloft with her father?
She stays on the Surface because she wants to make a life for herself. No longer living with her father in the home she's always known is symbolic of that character growth.

Where is her momma at anyway?
We don't know. It's possible to speculate, but, like many Disney movies, Zelda doesn't care too much for parents.

Wouldn't her father be worrying about his daughter if she wants to stay on the surface?
He probably would, yeah, but letting your children live their own lives is another aspect of the whole circle of life thing. He's probably proud of her decision to be bold and independent as much as he is worried as a parent.

And wasn't Link training to be a knife?
This typo brings me a lot of joy.

Would he still be going to Knight Academy if he decides to stay on the surface with Zelda?
Presumably he wouldn't. The Knights exist to defend Skyloft and if Link isn't going to be living in Skyloft anymore he has no reason to dedicate his life to its defence. It's also likely that, by saving Zelda and defeating Demise, he's proven himself worthy and would no longer require training even if he did go back to Skyloft.

Where are Link's parents?
We don't know. The Zelda games care less about Link's parents than they do Zelda's. Again, there's room for speculation but I wouldn't dwell on it. He's an orphan is the most comprehensive answer anyone can give.

If these kids had a momma, would they decide to stay on the surface with their momma?
I don't quite understand this question. Do you mean would they want their mum to leave Skyloft and live with them on the Surface, or do you mean that they would be less likely to leave their mum behind on Skyloft and thus not choose to stay on the Surface at all?

In either case, I think the presence of a mum wouldn't make much of a difference, similarly to how the presence of Zelda's dad doesn't. Staying on the Surface is symbolic of adulthood's freedom and independence. Having the characters' mothers in the game likely wouldn't change that aspect of the story.

I believe that Zelda would still be visiting her father often and Link would still be visiting Skyloft and still going to school, right?
Maybe. I, personally, would assume they stayed on the Surface and never went back. Again, staying on the Surface is a symbol (and I'm aware of how repetetive I'm being) and it would only be undermined if Link and Zelda went back and forth simply to continue the threads of their old lives in Skyloft.

Also, when Zelda asked Link what he wanted to do, what did Link decide to do? Kiss her? Ask her to marry him?
All we see after she asks is Link smile and hold her hands as their Loftwings fly back to Skyloft. Again, this is a symbol. Both of their Loftwings return to Skyloft, indicating that both Link and Zelda have decided to live their lives on the Surface. So the answer to "what did Link decide to do" would be that he decided to stay with Zelda on the Surface. Simple as that.

The Loftwings fly without Link and Zelda, as I said above, because Link and Zelda don't need them anymore. It's another symbol, that the two of them no longer consider Skyloft to be their home. Having the Loftwings fly away without Link and Zelda communicates that decision to leave Skyloft, and their old lives, behind and start new ones on the Surface.

They don't need the Loftwings to get around on the Surface because it's all traversable on foot. The Loftwings would be extremely convenient, sure, but they aren't necessary (outside of gameplay) and so they return to Skyloft where they are necessary.

---

Oh gee you come onto a forum for zelda fans then try to insult someone with "you zelink fanboy" you can't even spell the series name right which is laughable at best and pitiable at worst.
"Zelink" is the shorthand term fans use for the idea of a Zelda/Link romance. A Zelink fanboy would be someone obsessed with the idea that Zelda and Link are romantically involved. It's not a mispelling of the franchise name.

Edit: Wanted to add this to satisfy my own need for clarification
in fact SS is the first game in the series to show zelda with a parent ON screen.
The first time we are shown Zelda with a parent on-screen is in A Link to the Past. We then see her on-screen with her father again in The Minish Cap.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
They're probably around that age, but it makes little difference. They're both adults (or mature enough to be considered adults) and the decision was symbolic of living a life on their own terms, a major part of adulthood. Given the fantasy nature of the series, it's not much use applying a strict, real world logic to events from the games.

She stays on the Surface because she wants to make a life for herself. No longer living with her father in the home she's always known is symbolic of that character growth.

We don't know. It's possible to speculate, but, like many Disney movies, Zelda doesn't care too much for parents.

He probably would, yeah, but letting your children live their own lives is another aspect of the whole circle of life thing. He's probably proud of her decision to be bold and independent as much as he is worried as a parent.

Presumably he wouldn't. The Knights exist to defend Skyloft and if Link isn't going to be living in Skyloft anymore he has no reason to dedicate his life to its defence. It's also likely that, by saving Zelda and defeating Demise, he's proven himself worthy and would no longer require training even if he did go back to Skyloft.

We don't know. The Zelda games care less about Link's parents than they do Zelda's. Again, there's room for speculation but I wouldn't dwell on it. He's an orphan is the most comprehensive answer anyone can give.

I don't quite understand this question. Do you mean would they want their mum to leave Skyloft and live with them on the Surface, or do you mean that they would be less likely to leave their mum behind on Skyloft and thus not choose to stay on the Surface at all?

In either case, I think the presence of a mum wouldn't make much of a difference, similarly to how the presence of Zelda's dad doesn't. Staying on the Surface is symbolic of adulthood's freedom and independence. Having the characters' mothers in the game likely wouldn't change that aspect of the story.

Maybe. I, personally, would assume they stayed on the Surface and never went back. Again, staying on the Surface is a symbol (and I'm aware of how repetetive I'm being) and it would only be undermined if Link and Zelda went back and forth simply to continue the threads of their old lives in Skyloft.

All we see after she asks is Link smile and hold her hands as their Loftwings fly back to Skyloft. Again, this is a symbol. Both of their Loftwings return to Skyloft, indicating that both Link and Zelda have decided to live their lives on the Surface. So the answer to "what did Link decide to do" would be that he decided to stay with Zelda on the Surface. Simple as that.

The Loftwings fly without Link and Zelda, as I said above, because Link and Zelda don't need them anymore. It's another symbol, that the two of them no longer consider Skyloft to be their home. Having the Loftwings fly away without Link and Zelda communicates that decision to leave Skyloft, and their old lives, behind and start new ones on the Surface.

They don't need the Loftwings to get around on the Surface because it's all traversable on foot. The Loftwings would be extremely convenient, sure, but they aren't necessary (outside of gameplay) and so they return to Skyloft where they are necessary.

---

"Zelink" is the shorthand term fans use for the idea of a Zelda/Link romance. A Zelink fanboy would be someone obsessed with the idea that Zelda and Link are romantically involved. It's not a mispelling of the franchise name.

The first time we are shown Zelda with a parent on-screen is in A Link to the Past. We then see her on-screen with her father again in The Minish Cap.

What makes me laugh is they call me that yet they straight up asked if they were.

I should of phrased that better one who has an active role in the story instead of sidelined.

---

I don't know if that person is a Zelink fanboy or a Zelda fanboy or a Link fanboy or whatever, but he is getting on my nerves, yelling at me and insulting me, calling me a child and a troll. I still think Zelda is pretty idiotic for wishing to live on the surface with little to no support and now she's going to have to find a new home for her and Link to live in when possibly, they could've been homeless and hungry if they don't have enough money to get a new home or food and shelter or if someone didn't take them in to live with them. I wonder if they packed before moving out of their home. So, they better not come crying to the player if they end up homeless and hungry.

I'm sorry about the knife thing. I'll change it to "knight". :(

I meant that if their mom was living in Skyloft with them, would they leave their mom behind in Skyloft or would they stay with their sweetie mommy?

I would assume they visit Skyloft sometimes? But what if they just want to live there for a temporary amount of time?
What makes me laugh is they call me that yet they straight up asked if they were.

I should of phrased that better one who has an active role in the story instead of sidelined.

Come on, boy, stop teasing me. I don't know who you are and if you are just insulting me because you are defending Link and Zelda or their shipping or what. But you need to start learning to be more polite with others, that's the rules of the forum.

Clearly not you actually asked if they could fly around on their own or if they required human aid in that matter. Do you not know how to read over your own posts?

No, stop disbelieving me. Learn to trust more, will ya? My post said are the loftwings flying because they want to, or is it because they're leaving
Link and Zelda's o-face and triangle lip behind? I tend to give people nicknames, I call Zelda Zelda O face or Zelda triangle lip like I call Fi autotune singsongy robot/girl. That doesn't make me a child. I just have a childlike personality, they're more insulting endearments. Please don't be serious just because I have a childlike personality. As long as you're not immature, it's good to still tap into that inner child. I mean, you're acting like an annoying teenager.

You are the one who needs to pay attention to what other people are saying. I mean, I did not say anything about Link is the only one who can travel from the heavens to Earth. I did not say anything about the Loftwings need their riders to fly. I am not creating this topic on account of trouble-making. What are you smoking? Go home, man, you are drunk.

Jesus christ you clearly haven't played many zelda games if you think the ending is as fiddly as it is. Nintendo's whole trade with the zelda series is ambiguity of ending. It's left up the players mind on what happened.

Calm your butt down already! I do not put up with mean people like you! SS is the first Zelda game I've beat so I don't know how Zelda games usually end.

Clearly you are trolling at this point. you've not added anything of use to the thread hell the entire thread seems like it due to the way you "phrased" your first post. You seem to fixate on parents a fair bit in a series where theres not any emphasis on parents in fact SS is the first game in the series to show zelda with a parent ON screen.

I have no intention on trolling, man. Start being more trusting will you?

The fact you think saying "SS isn't the best zelda game" make you sounds like your floundering for insults at this point. Feel free to express opinions but when you express them like a ****** with no understanding of say a lemon expect to get shut down hard.

This is no reason to trash me because you are defending your Zelda O-Face and Link to a ridiculous point. Learn to be nice, patient, and tolerant with others and stop getting angry at me when you talk. Most of the people here aren't trashing me but you. Why do you think I'd expect such unnice behaviors from a forum user like you? I expect nice people to be nice to everyone.

[

---

I don't know if that person is a Zelink fanboy or a Zelda fanboy or a Link fanboy or whatever, but he is getting on my nerves, yelling at me and insulting me, calling me a child and a troll. I still think Zelda is pretty idiotic for wishing to live on the surface with little to no support and now she's going to have to find a new home for her and Link to live in when possibly, they could've been homeless and hungry if they don't have enough money to get a new home or food and shelter or if someone didn't take them in to live with them. I wonder if they packed before moving out of their home. So, they better not come crying to the player if they end up homeless and hungry.

I'm sorry about the knife thing. I'll change it to "knight". :(

I meant that if their mom was living in Skyloft with them, would they leave their mom behind in Skyloft or would they stay with their sweetie mommy?

Come on, boy, stop teasing me. I don't know who you are and if you are just insulting me because you are defending Link and Zelda or their shipping or what. But you need to start learning to be more polite with others, that's the rules of the forum.

Also the reason i said you sounded like child in your thread was because it'd be easier to explain the almost childlike post on that than on someone who has mental problems which was my first assumption for you. Be happy that wasn't what i posted first

Well, don't insult me with that autism meme, but I really do have autism, which causes me to act younger and speak my mind. You have no right to trash autistic people because they were born with this problem. Learn to respect and accept autistic people for who they are instead of getting angry and impatient with them. Because it's really ticking me off. You not calming down and talking to me respectfully and instead, continue ridiculously defending this game and Link and Zelda O-Face and starting a war with me because I dislike Zelda O-Face.

Since you called me a child, why don't I pay back you and call you a child as well. Because you're acting like a high ole 14 year old and it's pissing me off. You need to grow up. Because this is not acceptable behavior to get indignant over slight provocations, and over-defend a fictional work and characters, distrust any proof that I have given you, demeaning me for not knowing a lot about Zelda, and acting killjoy to somebody with a childlike mind.

I'm not accusing you of being high, smoking, or drunk, they are just figure of speeches.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom