• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch (Six Months Later)

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
So it's been half a year since the Switch launched and already there's a great handful of games in its library with plenty more to look forward to as the year comes to a close. However, there are still some very basic features missing from the console and third party support isn't looking so hot going forward, with the majority of it being downgraded sports titles, ports of older games, and tons of indie support. The console itself is still considerably scarce, putting its long term success into question.

With that being said, how do you feel about the Switch in its current state? Are you satisfied with your time spent on the system? Has handheld mode been useful to you? What changes would you like to see made by next year? Are you optimistic about the Switch's future? And if you haven't already bought a Switch, what would make you consider getting one?

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I like the system so far. Finding one was terrible and due to luck, but I was able to track one down in-store.

Nintendo has been pretty good about doing a major release once a month, and BOTW alone is such a massive game that it will fill up a good chunk of playtime. Arms has been pretty fun for online, and they seem to be doing good with DLC, and DLC being free is good incentive to bring people back to the game every now and then. I think BOTW is currently the biggest system seller, but the other games I've played have been fun. I haven't seen another game out that would really sell me on the system yet, but I think Mario Odyssey will be the next game with that selling power.

My main complaints with the system so far is the lack of theme options and no Hollow Knight yet. Hollow Knight isn't Nintendo's fault, but I think just the black and white options for themes make things kind of bland. I'm sure they'll end up adding something similar to the 3DS where you buy themes or whatever, but I just want more options in general, even if it's just the standard color options that the 3DS gave you.

I'm pretty optimistic for the system's future. I like the concept, and it's been a good bit of fun for me since I've bought it. I used to pretty much exclusively use handheld mode, but I've since got a better TV and play it docked most the time now. Handheld was nice to carry around though, and I'd often take it to other places if I wanted to play 2 player with a friend or something.

It's neat. Hope it does well. I've yet to regret the purchase.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I found 6 at a Gamestop in a mall, and couldn't believe my luck! Unfortunately, I had like 20 bucks on hand and couldn't buy 1 or 2 to sell...

It's amazing, and I have almost no complaints.

It has many fun new games, like Splatoon 2, and Arms, along with Breath of The Wild, and has lots of 3rd party and indie support. It coming with 2 controllers is awesome, and I love how portable it is.

Splatoon 2 is by far my favorite game for it (I can't count BoTW cuz I have it for my Wii U), and I can't wait for Skyrim's release on the Switch (I've never played Skyrim, and want to buy it). I think it needs a Virtual COnsole pretty bad, though, so I can buy those last few old Zelda games for a new system.

It also needs an internet browser. I get a LOT of use on my browser on my 3ds (and a bit on my Wii U, too), and it would be really easy to add one for the Switch. I also think not having Miiverse (Or some form of social media where you can talk about games) is a BAD MOVE.

I only have 2 games for my Switch right now, but I enjoy both of them (I have MK8D and Splatoon 2), and just cannot wait for Skyrim.

91/100 great job Nintendo.

However, there are still some very basic features missing from the console
Both the Playststion 4 and Nintendo Switch lack some very basic features. I'll list some fo the features and which of the two consoles does them or has them missing.

Easy to navigate and search eShop / PS Store
Both the Switch and PS4 fail at this. Their stores are a total mess, so hard to navigate to find anything easily. The sad part is, as bad as the WiiU eShop was, it's leaps and bounds better than what both the Switch and PS4 have. The PS store wishlist is not even accessible on the PS4 console.
I seriouslythink both Nintendo and Sony need to look at what the WiiU eShop is and use that for inspiration. Do not clone the WiiU eShop as it's flawed too but understand that the WiiU eShop has a lot of good features that the Switch and PS4 stores should also have.

Easy to browse and use console themes
The Switch has no themes apart from the basic 2. The PS4 has themes but finding the good ones is near impossible. The themes do have previews but you can't see the previews will after you've purchased a theme. So without looknig the theme uplone you can't see what it's like so it's a blind luck purchase. Both the Switch and PS4 fail hard here.

Easy to take in game screenshots and upload them to facebook
The Switch makes taking the screen shots so easy. One button press and that's it. You're not taken away from the in game action at all. Sure being able to edit who can see the uploaded to facebook screen shot would be nice. Sure you can edit it on facebook but having the option on the Switch would be nice.
Taking screenshots on the PS4 is a total mess. You have a whole mew menu appearing on the screen and you have to choose if you want to take a screenshot or a video or whatever. Also the in game action does not stop while this is taking place. Also you can't save the screenshot to the console without exiting out of the game and trying to upload it to facebook. Sure you can cancel out of the upload to facebook, but that's not the point. Also accessing the saved screenshots on the PS4 takes way too many button presses. The Switch does it better. One press and you're in. Sure having the games in folders grouped by game is nice on the PS4, but, that does not take away from the fact that it's a total mess on the PS4.
In comparison, the Switch does it almostly perfectly, and the PS4 totally fails at this.

A good Virtual Console
The Switch does not have one yet. and as far as I know the PS4 does not have a proper Virtual Console section in it's store either. Both consoles fail here for not having this. The WiiU has this as does the Wii. Not the best there but it's better than the nothing that the Switch and PS4 currently have.

Good use of motion controls
So far the Switch has 2 games that do this. ARMS and Splatoon. I don't know how many PS4 games do this well. The games I have played on the PS4 so far have game features that are begging to be done with motion controls but they are not. The left or right stick is used and makes the whole experience so slow and just not fun.

A proper game played timer
The Switch has a rough one, saying how many hours you've played, if you've had the game for a week or so. The PS4 has nothing. The WiiU had this feature and it was done really well there. WHy both the Switch and PS4 fail at this, I do not know.

With that being said, how do you feel about the Switch in its current state?
It's doing damn well. On a personal note, I have a Switch backlog at the moment. That beats the zero games I owned for the WiiU after 6 months. I did not even buy a WiiU till at least 2014 I think. It was almost 2 years in when I bought it. The Switch's game release schedule at the moment is actually very good. It'd almost too fast for some, but only slightly. There is something for everyone already on the Switch and that's only after 6 months. it took the WiiU, almost 3 years to reach that point.

Has handheld mode been useful to you?
No. I don't take the console outside and I used the WiiU gamepad mostly for the VC games as they were too low a resolution to look good on a 1080p TV. I hardly ever use the Switch's own screen.
I think this will change once the Virtual console is released. I will play all those old games on the small screen as that's just feels right to play them there. Even the retro styled games like Blaster Master Zero look great on the TV screen. Also the VC should not overtax any of the Switch's internals so the full experience should be available in portable mode. Gamecube emulation might be the exception there.

What changes would you like to see made by next year?
A Virtual Console added
Home screen themes added
The eShop totally fixed up, it's a total mess now.
The ability to change the screenshot visibility on facebook when you upload it.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
That reminds me-

I don't ever play the Switch on the T.V...

In Mario Kart 8, when I play that, I'm usually somewhere without internet (That is my only game that has good gameplay offline on the Switch so far, because the only other game I have is Splatoon 2, and the Singleplayer is simply not as fun there), and there's probably no T.V there either.

I'd play Splatoon 2 on the T.V, but I only play with detached joycons on that game (It makes aiming so much easier), and I hold them at a weird angle, which you can do while playing with the actual screen by pressing Y mid match (I do that a lot), but somehow it's all F*cked up when you play it on the T.V, and it won't let me properly reset to where I want it to be.

I like all the demos that the eshop is giving

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Currently, I only have 4 Switch games, being Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms, and Sonic Mania. Unfortunately, I didn't get to play Breath of the Wild on the Switch. However, I got to play tons of the other 3 games. I have never played so much Mario Kart in my life and I've got to play quite a lot of Arms from time to time. Admittedly, the lack of engaging single player experiences and the excitement of playing on a brand new console is probably why I spent so much time on either of those games, but there is still quite a few games I want at the moment that I'm waiting on and looking forward to down the line. So while the current library isn't stellar, considering it has only been 6 months, I think the Switch is off to a great start when it comes to games.

Also, I didn't think I was going to play handheld much since I mostly game on my TV, but with Sonic Mania, I found myself playing it almost exclusively in handheld mode. I guess the less graphically impressive and simpler 2D games just don't require a big TV for me to enjoy. The game doesn't really suffer from being in handheld and it was just really comfortable holding the screen up and playing it in bed. I also have 5 docks in my house, so it's been really useful and convenient being able to just dock the system on other TVs around the house. I've really come around on the whole portable aspect of the Switch and look forward to playing more indie games and hopefully one day, virtual console games on the Switch, as I know I'll make definite use of its portability.

Speaking of Virtual Console, I'd definitely love to see it implemented very soon, and carry over from the Wii U so we don't have to purchase the same games all over again. I'd also like to see more support and variety for the VC like we saw with the Wii. I want to see more personalization, like with the 3DS. Screenshots feel rather useless, so I'd at least like to be able to make them my background as well as be able to get custom themes, make folders, and organize games and apps. The online service and communication needs to be vastly improved so that you can connect with your friends better. I also hope the screenshot button gets updated to be able to record video as well, like on Xbox and Playstation. I think I remember hearing something like that was going to happen but I'm not sure how true that is. And finally, with the 3DS being on its way out, I seriously hope Nintendo develops smaller titles that would otherwise be on a handheld system, for the Switch. Something like a top down Zelda or 2D Metroid that would fit perfectly on the 3DS, but takes advantage of the Switch's hardware. That way, whatever handheld support they usually get can move on over to the Switch.

Anyway, I'm very optimistic about the Switch's future as it will no doubt rack up a stellar library of first-party games throughout its lifespan. I also missed out on quite a few indie games and other titles that have and will be making their way to the Switch, and they honestly fit perfectly in the Switch's library.

I found 6 at a Gamestop in a mall, and couldn't believe my luck! Unfortunately, I had like 20 bucks on hand and couldn't buy 1 or 2 to sell...

The day Mario Kart 8 Deluxe released, my sister and I went to Best Buy an hour before opening as there were going to be restocks there, and surprisingly, we were the only ones there. That was the first and only time I ever saw any sort of stock for the Switch. Her boyfriend went later on and said he saw no Switches so it was pretty crazy seeing such a window of opportunity not being capitalized on. Must be really lucky for the people who just happened to wander in that day and walk out with a Switch.

Both the Playststion 4 and Nintendo Switch lack some very basic features. I'll list some fo the features and which of the two consoles does them or has them missing.

Easy to navigate and search eShop / PS Store
Both the Switch and PS4 fail at this. Their stores are a total mess, so hard to navigate to find anything easily. The sad part is, as bad as the WiiU eShop was, it's leaps and bounds better than what both the Switch and PS4 have. The PS store wishlist is not even accessible on the PS4 console.
I seriouslythink both Nintendo and Sony need to look at what the WiiU eShop is and use that for inspiration. Do not clone the WiiU eShop as it's flawed too but understand that the WiiU eShop has a lot of good features that the Switch and PS4 stores should also have.

Easy to browse and use console themes
The Switch has no themes apart from the basic 2. The PS4 has themes but finding the good ones is near impossible. The themes do have previews but you can't see the previews will after you've purchased a theme. So without looknig the theme uplone you can't see what it's like so it's a blind luck purchase. Both the Switch and PS4 fail hard here.

Easy to take in game screenshots and upload them to facebook
The Switch makes taking the screen shots so easy. One button press and that's it. You're not taken away from the in game action at all. Sure being able to edit who can see the uploaded to facebook screen shot would be nice. Sure you can edit it on facebook but having the option on the Switch would be nice.
Taking screenshots on the PS4 is a total mess. You have a whole mew menu appearing on the screen and you have to choose if you want to take a screenshot or a video or whatever. Also the in game action does not stop while this is taking place. Also you can't save the screenshot to the console without exiting out of the game and trying to upload it to facebook. Sure you can cancel out of the upload to facebook, but that's not the point. Also accessing the saved screenshots on the PS4 takes way too many button presses. The Switch does it better. One press and you're in. Sure having the games in folders grouped by game is nice on the PS4, but, that does not take away from the fact that it's a total mess on the PS4.
In comparison, the Switch does it almostly perfectly, and the PS4 totally fails at this.

A good Virtual Console
The Switch does not have one yet. and as far as I know the PS4 does not have a proper Virtual Console section in it's store either. Both consoles fail here for not having this. The WiiU has this as does the Wii. Not the best there but it's better than the nothing that the Switch and PS4 currently have.

Good use of motion controls
So far the Switch has 2 games that do this. ARMS and Splatoon. I don't know how many PS4 games do this well. The games I have played on the PS4 so far have game features that are begging to be done with motion controls but they are not. The left or right stick is used and makes the whole experience so slow and just not fun.

A proper game played timer
The Switch has a rough one, saying how many hours you've played, if you've had the game for a week or so. The PS4 has nothing. The WiiU had this feature and it was done really well there. WHy both the Switch and PS4 fail at this, I do not know.

I don't see how the PS4 is lacking basic features... Everything you listed is either you saying the features are there but not easy to use, or not really essential like motion controls or time tracking. Also, I hope you know the Virtual Console is a Nintendo thing, so no duh, Playstation doesn't have it. They do however have PS2 games available for purchase so that pretty much kills your point there. You're also flat out lying about not being able to preview themes on Playstation.

I don't see how the PS4 is lacking basic features... Everything you listed is either you saying the features are there but not easy to use, or not really essential like motion controls or time tracking. Also, I hope you know the Virtual Console is a Nintendo thing, so no duh, Playstation doesn't have it. They do however have PS2 games available for purchase so that pretty much kills your point there. You're also flat out lying about not being able to preview themes on Playstation.

A feature not being essential or not is basedon the opinion of the person saying it. Some people really appreciate these cut features. Whether you think they are essential or not, they are basic features, not present on the console.

As you can see above, I didn't say an online store was not present, I said an "Easy to navigate and search eShop / PS Store". Big difference. It's 2017 now, having the stores being easy to use should be standard. It's totally unacceptable that both are so bad. Sure both exist, but that's not what I was saying. You are not wrong by saying both exist (and other features also exist), but that's different to what I was saying. Ease of accessibility is a feature and it needs to be mentioned.

The Virtual Console thing, of cause Nintendo call theirs that, but it's basically the same thing if the PS4 emulates older console games like the old PS2 old PS1 games. Does the PS4 emulate those older games? There's no dedicated section on the PS store to find them. If they are emulated then you are correct. I just don't know, a slight assumption on my part. I'll have to research up more.

The theme previews exist but you can't see them before you purchase the themes on console. That is my point. You can't (as far as I know) preview themes until after you purchase them and want tp use it as your theme. I've read up so many people who want this feature in (ie theme previews before you purchase the theme). But you seem to think you can preview themes before you purchase them on the PS4. Can you show us where this is. So we can all learn. I've read many people online saying they want this feature so make their theme purchasing easier. So teach us all how you preview themes before you purchase them so we can all learn how to do it.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
A feature not being essential or not is basedon the opinion of the person saying it. Some people really appreciate these cut features. Whether you think they are essential or not, they are basic features, not present on the console.

"Motion controls" aren't a basic feature because they're not standard. They're optional, not widely taken advantage of, and gimmicky. Even then, Playstation does have motion controls.

As you can see above, I didn't say an online store was not present, I said an "Easy to navigate and search eShop / PS Store". Big difference. It's 2017 now, having the stores being easy to use should be standard. It's totally unacceptable that both are so bad. Sure both exist, but that's not what I was saying. You are not wrong by saying both exist (and other features also exist), but that's different to what I was saying. Ease of accessibility is a feature and it needs to be mentioned.

I agree that accessibility is very important, but I don't consider that to be a feature in the same way that a virtual console, apps like Netflix and YouTube, and custom personalization are basic features. They're either there or not, how you feel about their implementation isn't going to add or take away from it. For instance, you have a problem with taking screenshots when I honestly feel PS4 does it better than Switch. First off, you're not just limited to screenshots, you can record video and look through the frames to keep as a screenshot, which is miles ahead of Nintendo.

The Virtual Console thing, of cause Nintendo call theirs that, but it's basically the same thing if the PS4 emulates older console games like the old PS2 old PS1 games. Does the PS4 emulate those older games? There's no dedicated section on the PS store to find them. If they are emulated then you are correct. I just don't know, a slight assumption on my part. I'll have to research up more.

There's a section for PS2 games.

The theme previews exist but you can't see them before you purchase the themes on console. That is my point. You can't (as far as I know) preview themes until after you purchase them and want tp use it as your theme. I've read up so many people who want this feature in (ie theme previews before you purchase the theme). But you seem to think you can preview themes before you purchase them on the PS4. Can you show us where this is. So we can all learn. I've read many people online saying they want this feature so make their theme purchasing easier. So teach us all how you preview themes before you purchase them so we can all learn how to do it.

That's just not true at all. I don't know if this was a problem during launch, but even the PS3 allowed you to view a preview either through screenshots or trailers for the dynamic themes, and it's currently that way with the PS4. No purchase necessary. It's not rocket science. Boot up your PS4 and select a theme. The option is right there.

"Motion controls" aren't a basic feature because they're not standard. They're optional, not widely taken advantage of, and gimmicky. Even then, Playstation does have motion controls.
I said good use of motion controls. It''s the good use of them that should be standard.

I agree that accessibility is very important, but I don't consider that to be a feature in the same way that a virtual console, apps like Netflix and YouTube, and custom personalization are basic features. They're either there or not, how you feel about their implementation isn't going to add or take away from it. For instance, you have a problem with taking screenshots when I honestly feel PS4 does it better than Switch. First off, you're not just limited to screenshots, you can record video and look through the frames to keep as a screenshot, which is miles ahead of Nintendo.
The video/streaming features the PS4 has, the Switch does not have at all. You are correct there, but that's different to what I said. For just taking a pure scrteenshot there needs to be a more streamlined way on the PS4. The other things you mentioned above, that's a great, more involved feature. Just because I don't use it, that does not mean people like you don't appreciate it. That works well and I am glad the PS4 has it. I agree the PS4 does all the more involved stuff, like taking screenshots from already captured video much better. But the basic scrteenshot taking process, it seems we agree to disagree on which console does it better. This proves that both consoles don't do it great, if either of them did, we'd both agree on it.

There's a section for PS2 games.
I have not searched for this, but I'll reseatch it up. Thank you.

That's just not true at all. I don't know if this was a problem during launch, but even the PS3 allowed you to view a preview either through screenshots or trailers for the dynamic themes, and it's currently that way with the PS4. No purchase necessary. It's not rocket science. Boot up your PS4 and select a theme. The option is right there.
I can't comment on the PS3 as I never owned one but I will assume you're correct there.
I think there's a slight miscommunication between us here, so I'll try to clear thnigs up.
What you say is totally correct, but that's for themes you already own and you can see the theme previews easily. I am not talking about that. I am talking about the lack of theme previews on the theme section of the PS store before you purchase a theme. We should be able to preview a theme before we purchase it, not only after we purchase it.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I said good use of motion controls. It''s the good use of them that should be standard.

You can't blame Sony for developers not taking advantage of motion controls. "Good use of motion controls" isn't exactly a feature. They've been done well with Tearaway: Unfolded but aren't necessary for fulfilling the vision of most of their products.

The video/streaming features the PS4 has, the Switch does not have at all. You are correct there, but that's different to what I said. For just taking a pure scrteenshot there needs to be a more streamlined way on the PS4. The other things you mentioned above, that's a great, more involved feature. Just because I don't use it, that does not mean people like you don't appreciate it. That works well and I am glad the PS4 has it. I agree the PS4 does all the more involved stuff, like taking screenshots from already captured video much better. But the basic scrteenshot taking process, it seems we agree to disagree on which console does it better. This proves that both consoles don't do it great, if either of them did, we'd both agree on it.

You do realize the PS4 and Switch both take screenshots exactly the same? The difference here is that the PS4 gives you way more options.

I can't comment on the PS3 as I never owned one but I will assume you're correct there.
I think there's a slight miscommunication between us here, so I'll try to clear thnigs up.
What you say is totally correct, but that's for themes you already own and you can see the theme previews easily. I am not talking about that. I am talking about the lack of theme previews on the theme section of the PS store before you purchase a theme. We should be able to preview a theme before we purchase it, not only after we purchase it.

There is no miscommunication. I get what you're saying and it's wrong. I have never bought a theme and I've been able to preview them. I've done it on PS3 and I've done it on PS4. Just simply click on the theme you'd like to see and select screenshot or trailer before purchasing.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
It needs more games. I expected games like Tekken 6, Overwatch, and Monster Hunter to at least be announced for it by this time. It's a great system, and it'll be perfect for me if it had more popular 3rd party games.

You can't blame Sony for developers not taking advantage of motion controls. "Good use of motion controls" isn't exactly a feature. They've been done well with Tearaway: Unfolded but aren't necessary for fulfilling the vision of most of their products.
I agree with you 100%. Maybe Sony should put a focus on good use of motion controls in more games. Just a thought.

You do realize the PS4 and Switch both take screenshots exactly the same? The difference here is that the PS4 gives you way more options.
I wish that were the case but it's not. There's an extra menu involved on the PS4 to save the screenshot to the HDD. Also the game does not stop while you are in that menu. The PS4 does have more options when it comes to uploading the screenshot online which is very nice.

There is no miscommunication. I get what you're saying and it's wrong. I have never bought a theme and I've been able to preview them. I've done it on PS3 and I've done it on PS4. Just simply click on the theme you'd like to see and select screenshot or trailer before purchasing.
There is a miscommunication here. I'll explain with pictures so I can get my point across better.

Y8HCCDO.jpg

wnsP2sm.jpg

What many people, myself included, are asking for is the theme preview to be on the theme store so you can see it before you purchase the theme, not only after you have purchased the theme.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I wish that were the case but it's not. There's an extra menu involved on the PS4 to save the screenshot to the HDD. Also the game does not stop while you are in that menu. The PS4 does have more options when it comes to uploading the screenshot online which is very nice.

Um, that's if you hold the share button. Press it once, it takes a screenshot just like the Switch. Press it twice and you record a video.

There is a miscommunication here. I'll explain with pictures so I can get my point across better.

Y8HCCDO.jpg

wnsP2sm.jpg

What many people, myself included, are asking for is the theme preview to be on the theme store so you can see it before you purchase the theme, not only after you have purchased the theme.

There is no miscommunication.
21430282_2046480262238872_141220183955443668_n.jpg
21370946_2046480285572203_4835839870597217344_n.jpg

As you can see, there's an option to view screenshots or a trailer for the themes. However, in digging deeper, it turns out not all themes allow this, but a lot do. So once again, I don't see how this is Sony's fault. I'm sure whoever makes the themes is the one in charge of allowing previews, but the option is there.

Last edited:
Please host your images somewhere else so we can see them.

WJtvkQe.jpg

However based on the text it seems that a small number might have a proper preview in the store. I've not seen any and I've looked at a lot of the themes. But I've not looked at every single one on the store so I can't say they all don't have a proper preview, only every single one of the around 100 I looked at didn't have any. So in short I can't confirm what you've said sorry. But if you rehost those images elsewhere then I'd really be interestedto see if I can replicate what those images say. That would be very nice indeed.

Thanks for helping. I appreciate it.

Sony should have made in a hard requirement. Every single theme to have it's preview visible in the store. Sony did not obviously and that's Sony's fault.

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Please host your images somewhere else so we can see them.

Check it out now.

However based on the text it seems that a small number might have a proper preview in the store. I've not seen any and I've looked at a lot of the themes. But I've not looked at every single one on the store so I can't say they all don't have a proper preview, only every single one of the around 100 I looked at didn't have any. So in short I can't confirm what you've said sorry. But if you rehost those images elsewhere then I'd really be interestedto see if I can replicate what those images say. That would be very nice indeed.

I literally just browsed the first twelve rows of themes right now and the majority have previews.

Sony should have made in a hard requirement. Every single theme to have it's preview visible in the store. Sony did not obviously and that's Sony's fault.

By your logic, sh*tty third party games on PS4 are Sony's fault as well... Besides, it's not like you're missing much as it's mostly just generic garbage. Not that big of a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom