• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Well, unlike Writing or Drawing competitions (Which most people FEEL like they aren't good enough to participate in), book clubs are for anyone, and besides, the creator of the club would read, and even if only 2 others did, than that's enough to have some nice conversations about the book.

I imagine @NinJa and @athenian200 are already on board, as they have both expressed their approval for some sort of book related stuff (although where to put it and how to handle it is still being discussed), which means we already got a group of 3.

I think it will work, and it could at least be a community event, like an annual meeting to discuss a book, or possibly a monthly, or bi-monthly event.

If you have people on board, then they would have no issue in a social group for it, right? Your concern for a social group is that people would ignore it, but if you already have people, then it's not going to get ignored. You are free to promote social groups in your signature and similar places if you wish.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Makes sense. Can I make a post about it somewhere around the forums to promote it, or will I have to do all promotions in my sig?

Makes sense. Can I make a post about it somewhere around the forums to promote it, or will I have to do all promotions in my sig?
I'm not entirely sure where you could fully promote it, but new group discussions do show in the new post widget in the sidebar alongside forum posts so that could work in your favor. If anything, a blog post is probably well suited for this.

On a side note, I'll give you a little bit of history about some other forum events. Most of the competitions, specifically writing and drawing competitions, were started up by individuals on the forum and the community eventually took them up. Same with the Golden Key Awards (formerly the Golden Rupee Awards). If whatever happens in a social group for a book club receives positive user perception, it's possible the forum involvement for it will provide it more support. But for now, I think it's in the best interest that it start small. Kind of give it a little test run. Trying it out in a social group won't hurt anyone.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Well, unlike Writing or Drawing competitions (Which most people FEEL like they aren't good enough to participate in), book clubs are for anyone, and besides, the creator of the club would read, and even if only 2 others did, than that's enough to have some nice conversations about the book.

I imagine @NinJa and @athenian200 are already on board, as they have both expressed their approval for some sort of book related stuff (although where to put it and how to handle it is still being discussed), which means we already got a group of 3.

I think it will work, and it could at least be a community event, like an annual meeting to discuss a book, or possibly a monthly, or bi-monthly event.

Well, since you've now asked for my help, I have a quick point to make. I'm sorry about this going off-topic, and I understand if this gets split-off... but I have some experience with this kind of thing. I ran a personal Minecraft server at one point. The key to getting people involved in a project or collective experience is having a wide social circle, knowing everyone, and knowing a little bit about everyone's interests. Also, you have to know what platforms they use regularly, the kind of tech problems and preferences they have, and what kind of devices they use to post. If all your friends use Skype or Discord more than the forums, for instance, then you might be better off simply creating a chat on there than a social group on the forums. If they primarily post on mobile, they might prefer to upload an audio review (that you can later transcribe if you so choose) rather than try to type one out on their touchscreen. Little things like that can make all the difference. You have to make it as convenient and accessible as possible.

Now, the reason the social groups are so dead is because it's actually very, very hard to build a community around a new idea or project and gather support for it. Especially one where people are expected to engage on a deeper level doing something like writing book reviews rather than just making random one-liners and watercooler conversation. You would encounter community-building difficulties no matter what you use. The thing is, people tend to be a bit self-absorbed, and they're not likely to pay attention to a stranger promoting something. It's necessary to get to know as many active members as possible and get on their radar so they'll be more likely to pay attention to what you're doing, because otherwise they'll sort of tune you out. Once you're acquainted with them from more casual interactions, you can just individually ask them all if they're interested in being a part of the project (a personalized request that's tailored to what you know of the person works better than a public announcement, I find)... and you'll have a better feel for who might be interested, so you can narrow things down.

I'm sure you can make a blog post, but it's likely that people who don't know you will just ignore it. I mean, unless you somehow manage to get everyone talking about your blog post... Not because blog posts are a bad way to make announcements, but just because that's human nature.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I think I'll jsut start with shoutbox, blog, and sig ads, since none of us are really sure if I can make a thread about it or anything like that.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Do you think we could have a forum event where we'd each create our own new Zelda game (Not actually develop it or program, but ya know, just give a short rundown on what it'd be and new things that would be introduced), and vote on which one was the best idea?

That sounds pretty cool

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Do you think we could have a forum event where we'd each create our own new Zelda game (Not actually develop it or program, but ya know, just give a short rundown on what it'd be and new things that would be introduced), and vote on which one was the best idea?

That sounds pretty cool
I like the sound of that and it certainly sounds doable. I'll talk it over with @Satan and the other forum volunteers when I have some more free time. And just for future reference, we do have this thread in the Community Area for Event and Competition ideas.

Storm

Ghost of The Roleplay Section
make it so we only get Rupees for Likes? I know this guy who is exploiting the system and got 3000 rupees today by making 100 threads today

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
make it so we only get Rupees for Likes? I know this guy who is exploiting the system and got 3000 rupees today by making 100 threads today
I mean, the reason we get rupees for creating threads in the first place is to encourage the creation of threads. It seems to be working, does it not? I fail to see the issue at hand. Creating 100 new threads in a day allows people to discuss anything they want and opens the opportunity for people to post in those 100 threads. I fail to remember a time when encouraging posting was against the rules. So what if someone gets 3000 rupees for creating 100 threads (btw your math was very off but w/e). That's 100 new threads for people to post in. Doesn't matter who made them.

Anybody can exploit the system. I could post in every thread on the forum just to get rupees if I wanted to. How is that any different? Or fishing for likes, is that not even worse?

Storm

Ghost of The Roleplay Section
I mean, the reason we get rupees for creating threads in the first place is to encourage the creation of threads. It seems to be working, does it not? I fail to see the issue at hand. Creating 100 new threads in a day allows people to discuss anything they want and opens the opportunity for people to post in those 100 threads. I fail to remember a time when encouraging posting was against the rules. So what if someone gets 3000 rupees for creating 100 threads (btw your math was very off but w/e). That's 100 new threads for people to post in. Doesn't matter who made them.

Anybody can exploit the system. I could post in every thread on the forum just to get rupees if I wanted to. How is that any different? Or fishing for likes, is that not even worse?
he made a thread asking what color your boogers were

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I know this guy who is exploiting the system and got 3000 rupees today by making 100 threads today
I mean, if someone made 100 threads, then they are clearly an active member, and being productive to the ZD community. Rupees are rewards for being a good citizen of ZD, although I do not approve of completly random/innappropriate threads like the booger one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom