• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does it really matter that Splatoon 2 is so similar to the original?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
It doesn't matter since the hub world is so barebones and the matchmaking is terrible in both games. I can't even get past level one because Nintendo is unbelievably shortsighted on how online matches work; it's like being stuck in limbo. There should be an alternative way to attain at least something better than the Splattergun, but so far I haven't seen the slightest hint of that. The only redeeming factor is the single-player campaign, but that can only carry on for so long, and using the same weapon is getting old.

This game is poorly and cheaply conceived.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
It doesn't matter since the hub world is so barebones and the matchmaking is terrible in both games. I can't even get past level one because Nintendo is unbelievably shortsighted on how online matches work; it's like being stuck in limbo. There should be an alternative way to attain at least something better than the Splattergun, but so far I haven't seen the slightest hint of that. The only redeeming factor is the single-player campaign, but that can only carry on for so long, and using the same weapon is getting old.

This game is poorly and cheaply conceived.
You got the game during the splatfest however, where matchmaking is completely different for the game. During regular days, you will return to regular matchmaking.

Also, the Splattershot Jr. Is still a really good weapon for turf war.

And also. What? You get to use every single weapon type in Splatoon 2's single player.

Ronin

Forum Volunteer
You got the game during the splatfest however, where matchmaking is completely different for the game. During regular days, you will return to regular matchmaking.

Also, the Splattershot Jr. Is still a really good weapon for turf war.

And also. What? You get to use every single weapon type in Splatoon 2's single player.
Yes, but how do you get said weapon type? By ranking up to level 4. That can't happen whenever even the basic matchmaking (Turf Wars) won't happen because enough players never join, or communication errors. The shops won't let you buy anything otherwise, and they're often condescending about it (not being "fresh enough").

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Yes, but how do you get said weapon type? By ranking up to level 4. That can't happen whenever even the basic matchmaking (Turf Wars) won't happen because enough players never join, or communication errors. The shops won't let you buy anything otherwise, and they're often condescending about it (not being "fresh enough").
Nope. Well first off, Splattershot Jr. IS the first weapon you get. It's the weapon you start with.

Also, you're wrong on that front too. You only need to level up to level 2 to start accessing new weapons.

Ronin

Forum Volunteer
Nope. Well first off, Splattershot Jr. IS the first weapon you get. It's the weapon you start with.

Also, you're wrong on that front too. You only need to level up to level 2 to start accessing new weapons.
I know it's the first weapon, but it's not the one I want.

Also, you aren't paying attention to my situation. I. have. been. stuck. on. level. 1. The fact that you can't even peruse any merchandise due to a "freshness" rating doesn't make any sense. What kind of shopkeeper would turn away their customers?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I know it's the first weapon, but it's not the one I want.

Also, you aren't paying attention to my situation. I. have. been. stuck. on. level. 1. The fact that you can't even peruse any merchandise due to a "freshness" rating doesn't make any sense. What kind of shopkeeper would turn away their customers?
It doesn't take long at all to hit level 2, or even level 4 for that matter. If I remember correctly, it only takes like 2 matches to level up in normal play at level 1.

So your connection issues really are the source of all the problems for that, and let me tell you that your problem is extremely rare with Splatoon 2. If you are on Wifi, try changing your Wifi channel. Or better yet, maybe just try waiting until tomorrow so that everything is back to normal.

The fact that you can't even peruse any merchandise due to a "freshness" rating doesn't make any sense. What kind of shopkeeper would turn away their customers?
Unless you frequent Salmon Run early on, you will not have enough gold to buy anything at level 1 anyway, even if they would sell you their stuff then.

Miss Cucco

Mrs. DekuNut
When you put "2" in front of something, players are gonna expect something new. But if it's too much like the original that it feels like the same game, I'm gonna say that there is a bit of a problem. It leaves it's players feeling unsatisfied. I have played neither of the Splatoons, so I can't say much about them. But everyone has their opinions. That's just my 2 cents.

Ronin

Forum Volunteer
It doesn't take long at all to hit level 2, or even level 4 for that matter. If I remember correctly, it only takes like 2 matches to level up in normal play at level 1.

So your connection issues really are the source of all the problems for that, and let me tell you that your problem is extremely rare with Splatoon 2. If you are on Wifi, try changing your Wifi channel. Or better yet, maybe just try waiting until tomorrow so that everything is back to normal.
Or even better, return the copy since it isn't worth fussing over and since the game lacks anything unique outside of the campaign. After all, it's essentially the same as the original except for a new paint job and did virtually nothing to fix the issues from before.

Unless you frequent Salmon Run early on, you will not have enough gold to buy anything at level 1 anyway, even if they would sell you their stuff then.
That doesn't excuse the fact that they turn you away. "You aren't fresh enough to look at my merchandise. Please leave." is a lousy gimmick to force players to do Turf Wars, etc. Let me see what you have in stock so that I can plan out what kind of loadout I want to make later on. Other games do this; why can't Splatoon?

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
Are you comparing Switch to WiiU versions here? If so the Smash Bros 4 comparison doesn't work as there is no SSB4 port for Switch yet. So can you explain please what you are comparing these to.
I thought it was pretty clear in my post, I wanted to compare Splatoon 2 as a sequel to Nintendo's other online multiplayer franchises. It has nothing to do with Wii U vs Switch. I just choose the franchises' most recent release and listed their new features.

I right it was pretty clear in my post, I wanted to compare Splatoon 2 as a sequel to Nintendo's other online multiplayer franchises. It has nothing to do with Wii U vs Switch. I just choose the franchises' most recent release and listed what was new.
Pretty clear in your own head but not expressed as well as it could have been. But you've explained it now and I get what you're saying. Thank you.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Or even better, return the copy since it isn't worth fussing over and since the game lacks anything unique outside of the campaign. After all, it's essentially the same as the original except for a new paint job and did virtually nothing to fix the issues from before.

That doesn't excuse the fact that they turn you away. "You aren't fresh enough to look at my merchandise. Please leave." is a lousy gimmick to force players to do Turf Wars, etc. Let me see what you have in stock so that I can plan out what kind of loadout I want to make later on. Other games do this; why can't Splatoon?
So what? You have to play like, 8 matches to see the shop. I'm not seeing what the problem is here. Like, the game requires you to play the game, to play the game.

Did you seriously just link a satirical video to prove your point? Lol. You know that Honest Game Trailers are meant to be a joke right, they are supposed to be funny.
Also, you haven't even played the campaign enough to know that you use all of the different weapon classes, you haven't tried out any of the new weapon classes, and have barely seen any of the maps. How can you say there is nothing new here when you have barely played the game. That's like starting up Majoras Mask, and not getting to clock town and being like: "This is the exact same as Ocarina of Time".

Ronin

Forum Volunteer
So what? You have to play like, 8 matches to see the shop. I'm not seeing what the problem is here. Like, the game requires you to play the game, to play the game.

Did you seriously just link a satirical video to prove your point? Lol. You know that Honest Game Trailers are meant to be a joke right, they are supposed to be funny.
Also, you haven't even played the campaign enough to know that you use all of the different weapon classes, you haven't tried out any of the new weapon classes, and have barely seen any of the maps. How can you say there is nothing new here when you have barely played the game. That's like starting up Majoras Mask, and not getting to clock town and being like: "This is the exact same as Ocarina of Time".
The issue here is that the connection cuts out for no explicable reason. My connection is not the problem, it's either the servers or others losing their connection ("Disconnected due to team. Returning to lobby"), forcing everyone out of the lobby. So clearly this does happen frequently in Spla2n. In some way or another, almost everything ties back to having to reach some stupid level gap in order to so much as view a certain new feature. 8 matches to look at a better gun or a spankin' hat? I've been lucky to get 3 under my belt. It's like the game expects you to play the game, without letting you play the game.

Did you seriously just look at the title and return to posting? Lol. They do a good job of summarizing the faults, satirical or not.

No, this isn't anything like jumping from OoT to MM. Not at all. But that's good to know. Might even keep it long enough to complete the campaign. It's just a shame that everything else is questionable. New maps/weapons doesn't equate to a fresher experience; if anything Splatoon 2 just feels like an expansion to the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom