• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild My guide to beating Lynel (minor spoilers)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
When it comes to lynels, Satan's vids are the icing on the cake ;)

At first I thought beating Lynels would be very challenging but I had no choice. I had to face him. So I went down to the Arena and faced the silver Lynel. And boy what a lot of fun I had! I saved before I went inside and everytime it went wrong I just loaded the file again. I did a lot of dodging and I kept on getting flurry rushes again and again. I mainly dodged and backflipped and getting flurry rushes. The taste of victory was so sweet! I managed to beat the red maned Lynel near Zora's domain without damage. I got like 7 flurry rushes in a row and with good weapons he was going down easily. But he wasn't that hard to beat. Now I find the Lynel battles the best in the whole game. I just make sure I got full upgraded armor and strong weapons with me.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Just stunlock them with headshots or use furry if your bows suck and you're conserving arrows.

I've found a quick way to end Lynels without using durability. First, shoot them in the face, then attack with the Master Sword, hop on their back and attack with your best weapon. (when riding Lynels your weapons don't take damage) This also works a lot faster with barbarian armour or an attack 3 effect.

You can, but I find this is inefficient due to being much slower and more wasteful in terms of weapons.
Slower maybe. But if you only perfect block to stun then arrow to the face to topple, then ride for damage . . . then repeat that 4-5x you win without using up any durability of your weapons or shields. You only use up a little bow durability and a few arrows. I have a specific weapon I uae for Lynels. And it never breaks because ride damage does not ever use up weapon durability. Also perfect blocks do not use up shield durability. If you miss time a perfect block then you lose shield durability of cause.

Wearing Barbarian armour helps also to make the battlew quicker.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Slower maybe. But if you only perfect block to stun then arrow to the face to topple, then ride for damage . . . then repeat that 4-5x you win without using up any durability of your weapons or shields. You only use up a little bow durability and a few arrows. I have a specific weapon I uae for Lynels. And it never breaks because ride damage does not ever use up weapon durability. Also perfect blocks do not use up shield durability. If you miss time a perfect block then you lose shield durability of cause.

Wearing Barbarian armour helps also to make the battlew quicker.

I tend to find it far easier to strafe around the lynel with z-target on and the shoot him in the face with a 3 shot, rarely miss and it means you can mount more often, i then when i dismount start firing into the head for more damage, i think the most arrows i've used on a lynel fight to date has been 50 and that was attempting to perfect guard them as well. Then i went for a quicker tactic

I tend to find it far easier to strafe around the lynel with z-target on and the shoot him in the face with a 3 shot, rarely miss and it means you can mount more often, i then when i dismount start firing into the head for more damage, i think the most arrows i've used on a lynel fight to date has been 50 and that was attempting to perfect guard them as well. Then i went for a quicker tactic
That's a very good tactic. Congrats it went so well for you.

50 arrows seems quite a lot though. I use at most 10 arrows per Lynel. I do use the savage Lynel triple shot bows just so I have a slightly easier time arrowing their face.
Yeah I keep them Z targeted most of the time too. It's easier that way to keep them centred on the screen so I can get the perfect blocks off. I only stop Z targeting them to run around them when they shoot the 3 fireballs and as soon as that's done I Z target again and arrow the face. I also stop Z targetting and just run when they do the massive AOE explosion. Sure I can arrow in the face while they are sharging this attack up but it's too high risk in my opinion. If I can't get the hit in, that's one fairy used up. Much easier to just run away from that.

I don't circle strafe the Lynels though. I just hold my ground and let it attack me. That's when I perfect block.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
That's a very good tactic. Congrats it went so well for you.

50 arrows seems quite a lot though. I use at most 10 arrows per Lynel. I do use the savage Lynel triple shot bows just so I have a slightly easier time arrowing their face.
Yeah I keep them Z targeted most of the time too. It's easier that way to keep them centred on the screen so I can get the perfect blocks off. I only stop Z targeting them to run around them when they shoot the 3 fireballs and as soon as that's done I Z target again and arrow the face. I also stop Z targetting and just run when they do the massive AOE explosion. Sure I can arrow in the face while they are sharging this attack up but it's too high risk in my opinion. If I can't get the hit in, that's one fairy used up. Much easier to just run away from that.

I don't circle strafe the Lynels though. I just hold my ground and let it attack me. That's when I perfect block.

50 arrows was the worst i've ever done i can average 10-15 at the moment depending on whether i go for extra shots in the back of the head ^^

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Back of the head? Do shots there topple the Lynel like face shots do?

no sadly, as it's still recovering from the mount, When you get thrown off you can do the slowmo shooting and from what i've seen the shots still do critical damage when they make the noise for stunning it

RTW

I HATE LYNELS. :ananger:

I've beaten maybe 5 of them. Let me see... the jackass outside of Lanayru East Gate because he was the first one who killed me. The jackass in the coliseum. The jackass over by the Eldin Skeleton. Another jackass a little further to the west of him with a massive club that took me 10 attempts to kill. Maybe an easyish one in the grassland near Hyrule Field. I really wish I could pull up my map on my cell phone...!

I've fought the jackass up in the N. Tabantha Snowfield a couple of times but he's evil. Not as bad as the one with the club, I don't think, but I haven't beaten any of the lynels in the snow yet.

I don't think there are 40 of them. I think it's more like 20. I've not yet tried the one on the diving rock at Zora's Domain, the one on the far east coast south of the islands but north of the mountains, the one on the plateau near the spring where Farosh lives, or the ones in the gatehouses at the Castle.

Here's my strategy -
- Always take 5-10 meals to completely restore hearts, and never go in without Mipha's Grace active.
- Just completely inundate with arrows, either shock or, more effectively, bomb. They only appear to take damage from this when not attacking/charging or blowing fire.
- Dodge fire attack. Three blasts and you can get a few hits in.
- Whenever possible, MOUNT and get five good hits in.
- If I don't have a weapon with a high damage number and haven't eaten anything to triple my attack strength, I don't even try.

Also - wait until AFTER a blood moon to attack one.

I HATE LYNELS.
I think what you need to do is have some food and save just before you fight a Lynel. Not to beat it. But to practice perfect blocking most of the attacks. It's a good thing to practice so it's an option for you to have and if you mess up and die your save is right infront of the Lynel.

Also practicing hitting the Lynel in the face with arrows is a good thing. Because you have to be pretty fast with the shots after you perfect block.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I have to say that I never really use meals and don't need them. I have killed many lynels now and also got the one with the club. I got 999 arrows (thanks to the treasure chest glitch) and I got a 103 Lynel club. I just wait till the sucker comes close and stun him in the face with an arrow (a bow which can shoot multiple arrows at a time is a great option). I mount him and hit him hard with the club. As I dismount him or get kicked off, I immidiatly shoot him again. The time slow motion as happens in flying and shooting comes up. I shoot him in the neck as many times as possible and repeat the proces all over. If you time it right, you can repeat this without getting any damage at all, but that's not always the case. When he is about to shoot fire balls at you, just shoot him again in the face and mount him and slam slam slam! I killed like 10+ lynels already and it has become my fav thing to do. Fighting lynels. They are the greatest enemies this whole game offers. Although they can't beat the Bokoblins when it comes to the cutest enemies. They stay high on top of my list :P

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Hey guys! I know what you're thinking: "There are already a billion Lynel killing guides already, I get the point", but hear me out: This method is much less risky than the whole stasis+ idea.

Step 1: Find a Lynel, and put on either your best defensive clothes, or the barbarian set

Step 2: Attack it from afar with your most powerful arrow type, and bow type

Step 3: Once the Lynel looks at you, put away the bow, unless you want to get a risky shot in

Step 4: When they charge, just dodge out of the way (Try for a perfect dodge) and attack them once or twice with your sword, or spear, until they turn around and look at you

Step 5: Back up a bit, and repeat. Don't forget to get in your bow shots occasionally

Step 6: The end

It's a LOT easier than the stasis method, trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom