• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are some games as bad as people say?

The web is full of opinions, most have divided views of the same thing and its very rare that something like a game gets universal praise...

However, universal hate for video games is way more common such as No Man's Sky, Superman 64...

But which games do the majority of people seem to hate that you think arent too bad or are just misunderstood?

Are some games as bad as people say or are some people just overly harsh?

(In before Skyward Sword)

Salem

SICK
Castlevania for the N64, I keep hearing bad reviews for it. I personally enjoyed, to each his/her own I guess.

Mido

Version 1
Two things that come to mind from my perspective are most 3D Sonic games (more associated with the Dreamcast era) and Star Fox: Assault. The former three (Adventure, Adventure II, Heroes) are still very fun games, even if they haven't aged perfectly. I can pick them up to this day and have a good time. Perhaps my Sonic nostalgia heavily fuels this, it's hard to say; but I think the negative stigma toward 3D Sonic games is a little overblown.

Assault I bring up not because it was a bad game, but it did end up from what I recall to be the lowest-scored game outside of Zero, potentially. Not 100% sure where Zero stands next to the others. Sure, Assault had a few things that could have been done better, but in many ways, I consider it to be the best game of the entire series. It had excellent music, the story was decent, and the darker approach was intriguing especially when one has followed the series for many years. The multiplayer was barebones, but brimming with potential. This whole game could be described as a true gauge of potential that was never realized, so I was excited to see this trend continue, but lo, it has not been so! :eek:

LinksASleeping

The Adventure Of Me
When I was little, the Atari 2600 was practically my life. I had both E.T. and Pac-Man for it, and enjoyed them both.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Skyward Sword, Resident Evil 6, Sonic Lost World, and Halo 5: Guardians. While each game has their flaws, each game's fanbase make them out to be a bigger deal than they really are and overreact as usual. Honestly, the only thing that would make anyone consider any of these games terrible, is pure butthurt or stupidity. It's one thing not to like something, it's another to say that it's bad when it clearly isn't.

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
Two things that come to mind from my perspective are most 3D Sonic games (more associated with the Dreamcast era) and Star Fox: Assault. The former three (Adventure, Adventure II, Heroes) are still very fun games, even if they haven't aged perfectly. I can pick them up to this day and have a good time. Perhaps my Sonic nostalgia heavily fuels this, it's hard to say; but I think the negative stigma toward 3D Sonic games is a little overblown.

Finally someone else who appreciates Sonic Heroes!

Are some games as bad as people say or are some people just overly harsh?
Some games are just that bad. For other games, it's just some people being overly harsh or just hating on the game for some reason. Yooka-Laylee is a good example of the latter, where some people just hated on the game for no valid reasons.

Legend of Zelda: Adventure of Link is pretty good tbh. Not nearly the worst Zelda.
I wish everyone understood this. AoL is not the best Zelda but it's not even close to the worst Zelda game ever.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Some games really are as bad as people say (sonic 06) and some games really are as good as people say (OOT). Others are hated on unfairly or praised as masterpieces when they are in fact mediocre and there is better stuff on the market.

Skyward Sword
You spelt Suckward wrong.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Xenosaga 2 is generally disliked by those who played it, but I definitely don't feel the same
the graphics, art direction, and voice acting took a hit, there's no doubt there, but the soundtrack I think suited the game just fine and the combat, everyone's biggest gripe with it, I liked better than the first game; they definitely made it more complicated than it should have been and even I can say I probably don't fully understand it, but I just felt more satisfaction when fighting enemies in this game than the first, but I will say it got pretty hellish in the later areas due to the amount of enemies and them taking so long to beat, but overall I did like this better than Xenosaga 1

I remember when Starfox Zero came out, people absolutely hated it, But I thought it was a good call back to Lylat Wars. Sure the game has some problems, but I think the hate was there simply because it was on Wii U and people hated that too, which again, it wasn't a bad console.

Castlevania 64 is another one I remember people hating, I thought it was a good game, even after playing the games before it. Some people, AVGN in particular, said some things about the game which was simply wrong, he just didn't understand how the game worked.

Super Mario Sunshine I here gets quite the bum rap even today, but I thought it was an amazing game, in fact one of the best Mario Games I ever played. I don't understand how people thought this was a bad game.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Xenosaga 2 is generally disliked by those who played it, but I definitely don't feel the same
the graphics, art direction, and voice acting took a hit, there's no doubt there, but the soundtrack I think suited the game just fine and the combat, everyone's biggest gripe with it, I liked better than the first game; they definitely made it more complicated than it should have been and even I can say I probably don't fully understand it, but I just felt more satisfaction when fighting enemies in this game than the first, but I will say it got pretty hellish in the later areas due to the amount of enemies and them taking so long to beat, but overall I did like this better than Xenosaga 1
Same thing with Xenoblade 2 for the most part. Sure, the pacing was slow at the beginning, but as the story progresses and things open up, the better the combat becomes. Characters were rather tropey, but they each have arcs that deepens their camaraderie. Though the voice acting takes some getting used to, the deliveries are really good for the most part and fit the characters, except for Rex. It's certainly not as bad as some people make it sound.

@Spirit
I've had a re-think on this subject. The answer to your question is yes. But there's more to say.
Some games are jsut that bad. But many other games are just compared to the greats and compared to them they are much worse. But on their own they are good games still and that is often forgotten. Or ignored.

A good recent example of this I have used is DKC2 SNES vs DKC-TF. In a comparison, one (DKC2) is so much better than the other. But that's an unfair comparison. On it's own marits DKC-TF is still a good game. Different era, different developers, different levels of polish. We need to look at games individually on their own terms and not always compare them to the greats.
Also people tend to say "a game has to be this good" to be good. This good could be an arbitary criteria or it could be a comparison to an earlier game. That's a very unfair way to judge a game but many people do it. All games should be judged invidually, based on their own merits. Doing this will surprise many people. They will see games that are pretty good. Maybe not amazing, but still well worth playing because they are not held in the shadow of the previous greats.

Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't. Sometimes people blow things outta proportion and can't seperate "I don't like" with "Truly bad" which ruins public perception of a good or at least decent game.

Sometimes they're not joking, because the game in question can have any number of legitimate issues. Bugs, glitches, janky controls, poor pacing, cheap\unfair difficulty, too damn easy, bad enemy placement and ai, awful leveling, bad level design.

Things like that can make a bad game.

Things like its too hard, (when it is challenging but fair) its too different, its too samey, its too short, its got too much padding, do not automatically make a game bad or mediocre.

For example I hear people bashing on DKC3 as bad just because its not DKC2. That's bull**** of the highest order because all three DKC games on the SNES are classic highlights of the console. Its a delight when people who are wary of it, try it and are pleasantly surprised to find its just as polished, fun and tightly controlled as its predecessors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom