• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild BotW review embargo

So 22 days left and its very exciting. We recently got a new trailer with snippets of new footage with Game Informer's blow out and first boss etc revealed but this obviously isnt the end of the incoming news (i'll be burying my head in the sand towards all that) on top of the news we'll have the inevitable reviews.

When do you think the reviews will drop for BotW and will you be reading them?

Which reviewers are you looking forward to hearing from and which will you be avoiding?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This aint got nkthing go do with an embargo but im lookin forward to ZD's reviews. Whym becaayse i know you guys actually play the game instead of shill

The problem is this.

How can we expect proper reviews of Breath of the Wild within the 2 or so weeks the review embargo is lifted. This game will take weeks to properly review and appreciate. All the game industry will do is rish out half assed reviews covering almost nothing about the game just to be the first review and get more page hits.

For reviews:

I recommend:
NintendoLife
Nintendo Everything

I stay clear from:
IGN
Polygon
Gizmodo (and all their similarly spelled variants)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I dont know when the reviews will drop but I'll be reading those from all the major publications. Looking forward to Gamespot's the most who dared to give SS an 8 when all the other reviewers were sucking the games cock.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
You scared the **** out of me with that title. I thought Nintendo was withholding reviews from critics, and thats always the kiss of death for games.

As for when or which reviewers I'm looking for, its more of Let's Players/streamers I'm looking forward to see play it and get their take. People like Vinesauce and Panoots, people who are excited to play it, but are very critical of what they play. Honestly, I value their opinions more than most professional reviewers out there, as silly as that might be, mostly because they feel more genuine than others.

You scared the **** out of me with that title. I thought Nintendo was withholding reviews from critics, and thats always the kiss of death for games.

As for when or which reviewers I'm looking for, its more of Let's Players/streamers I'm looking forward to see play it and get their take. People like Vinesauce and Panoots, people who are excited to play it, but are very critical of what they play. Honestly, I value their opinions more than most professional reviewers out there, as silly as that might be, mostly because they feel more genuine than others.
That's exactly why the average metacritic critic score is worthless but the average metacritic user score really means a lot.

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
At first I read that as embryo and thought "Awesome, we're going to talk about Zelda's baby, Ganon Jr!" But I was wrong....

Reviews are interesting. When I am searching for a product and maybe "on the fence" about it then yes I will look to them. But for Breath of the Wild, I already have it pre-ordered, I'm already ready to play it and nothing is going to change my mind... so I'll look forward to reading any reviews to just further the awesome game I expect it to be. NintendoLife is good. ZD of course. We'll see.

Also... 22 days left. :ham::ezlo:

HeroOfTermina

Obsessively checking this forum since 2015
I imagine the game will be universally acclaimed, but who knows. Critics have been far more critical on games this generation.

I've pretty much gotten my fill of most of the crucial info I wanted to know going into the game: how Shrines are going to be found, map reveals tied to Sheikah Towers (which I theorized had a similar function to Assassin Creed's Sync Points), and other little things. I now also know that BotW is said to follow Ocarina of Time and that's all I really need to know now, so I just want to play the game now at this point and see for myself and piece it together where it's most likely which timeline BotW will align with. 3 weeks to go guys, it's going to be harsh :P

rob1610

Triple A Gamer
This is Nintendo. Expect the embargo to stick until launch day. I suspect reviewers received their copy recently, too. YouTuber HMK was doing Zelda BotW videos every day except for today. Hmm...

The problem is this.
For reviews:

I recommend:
NintendoLife
Nintendo Everything

I stay clear from:
IGN
Polygon
Gizmodo (and all their similarly spelled variants)
Why isn't GameXplain on the recommendation list...? This is just me, but I only watch IGN's reviews for a laugh. I always know whether I'm getting the game by the time I see theirs. xD

Why isn't GameXplain on the recommendation list...?
Because Andre from GameXplain speaks so damn fast that he is very hard to understand. I have to stop and replay parts of his videos to catch everything he is saying. Their reviews and analysis is top notch. I just wish they'd spak in a more understandable way. This really turns me off them.

Also GameXPlain don't really review games as such. They are more a rumour and analysis site then a review site. Still their info is great even if it's annoying as all hell to understand what Andre is saying.

I agree, IGN's reviews are great, so funny. I always try to guess how much IGN was paid for each of the reviews I read of theirs. I am like you, by the time I get to IGN, I already know if I am getting the game or not.

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
  • Preview for the Nintendo Switch – February 23rd
  • Previews for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – February 24th
  • Reviews for the Nintendo Switch – March 1st
  • Reviews for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – March 2nd

• Preview for the Nintendo Switch – February 23rd
  • Previews for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – February 24th
  • Reviews for the Nintendo Switch – March 1st
  • Reviews for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – March 2nd
So how much can they squeeze into the preview before it's considered a review?
We all know they will all push the limits here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom