• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch Paid Online

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
At least, the only really good thing I find about this is:

Hopefully online will be almost flawless.
NES and SNES games with online multiplayer. That's ****ing dope, and something not even many hackers have been able to do(well) yet.

I'm still burned about Nintendo from all the hardware bound software, I'm very untrusting of them delivering a solid online platform. If they do I'll pay for it, if not Nintendo can hopefully go out of business for all I care.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
What I'm curious about is if they're going to allow us to go online and download video apps, such as Netflix, YouTube, ESPN, etc., but have to pay to play. I could be okay with that, since I really don't do much online gaming.

I know there have been news about how they're handling online since the big announcement on late Thursday/early Friday, but I haven't seen them yet.

The whole appeal of Mario Kart for me is playing online against others. If I have to pay £50 for the game and then a further £60 / year to play online every now and then (which is what i did on the Wii), I might have to get a used Wii U and play there instead...

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'm so disapointed about this...unless it's $10 a year or something, I'm done with Nintendo. They are not in a position to charge for online when it's basically...4 games that will be played, and a small community as it is.

But you know what's worse than paying for something that should be free? Knowing that your friends and family probably can't. My relatives are minors with no income and no credit card. My friends are college aged and have told me that they probably can't afford it because they can't spend money like this. What's the point of paying for online if I'm alone?

And on top of that, Nintendo's online community is already struggling due to its small size. Even with the free online on the Wii U/3DS, games suffer due to long waiting times, difficulty in find specialized groups, and some online games are completely dead. So now they want to add a paywall and limit online further? Even if I personally got to play online for free this would be a huge blow for me. I want the most players possible playing online, I want to start play sessions and find specialized groups at the snap of a finger. I can't see many of their online communities surviving within the year unless they drop this.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
$5 a month for online.

30 minutes of a minimum wage job.

If 30 minutes of work at McDonald's is all I need for online, I seriously don't mind that.

$60 is not a lot of money. There is no way in hell you can afford a switch and games for it but can't afford the online. If you cannot save five ****ing dollars a month, then you have way more issues than online with the Nintendo Switch.

Games I'll play online on my ps4:
Sports games, MMORPGs, maybe the occasional shooter.
Benefits: Free monthly downloads

Games I'll play online on my Nintendo Switch:
Splatoon - shooter, Mario Kart - sports game, probably online Xenoblade Chronicles 2, any available MMOs if they are good.
Benefits: Free monthly downloads

The Nintendo Switch is also likely going to try to appeal to a more hardcore crowd. More hardcore = more competitive online. More competitive online = need better servers. Servers = money. It's been for for Nintendo thusfar because they've never had a big online community, but if they plan on actually growing it, this was inevitable.

I for one am not very surprised or upset. I am very harsh on Nintendo at times but this is not going to be one of them. Completely reasonable given the current video game market.

EDIT: I also concur with Lozjam on another thing:
ONLINE SNES GAMES. That is ****ing awesome. TMNT, anyone?

Seems fair. Get what you pay for considering theyre only offering NES and SNES games for a month before taking them away, plus, unlike ps4 and xbone we'll have a lot less games to actually play online. So yeah, looks okay. Still not gonna get it though.

Mido

Version 1
Seems fair. Get what you pay for considering theyre only offering NES and SNES games for a month before taking them away, plus, unlike ps4 and xbone we'll have a lot less games to actually play online. So yeah, looks okay. Still not gonna get it though.

I honestly think this is to where everything boils down. If $20-$30 a year is indeed what the train is chugging out, I think Nintendo is making a good decision. Less price for online is always a plus especially in light of its competition. Going back to your point, Nintendo's online game community will be the big factor from my perspective in terms of what games will we be able to play with a primarily online focus. Splatoon II seems to be the big gun of the current crop of games that will support online as far as my knowledge extends, but perhaps later in the Switch's time to shine, we may see online juggernauts.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
NINTENDO SWITCH ONLINE STATES TO BE BETWEEN $17.50.AND 26.50 COURTESY GAMNESIA WHOAAAA

Choco's way too excited about this. :)

We don't know if this is expensive or not. We don't know exactly what features there will be. Soon enough we will be told I think. As well as the rollout for this. We don't know how long it will take for certain countries to get this.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
So here is my big question about the NES/SNES games. These aren't the same thing as Virtual Console, right? These are basically 1-month trials of games that come included with the one-year online subscription? I'm just trying to make sure I have my facts straight.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
So here is my big question about the NES/SNES games. These aren't the same thing as Virtual Console, right? These are basically 1-month trials of games that come included with the one-year online subscription? I'm just trying to make sure I have my facts straight.
Yes.

However, NES and SNES games that you will buy will also have online play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom