• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Aonuma on the Possibility of a Playable Female Protagonist

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
"I'd say yes"
https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/...-of-a-playable-female-protagonist-id-say-yes/

Aonuma said:
On Wii U of course there’s already Hyrule Warriors where Princess Zelda is a playable character, and there’s actually quite an assortment of characters including several female ones. And that title is already available of course. So looking to the future, talking about the possibility of having a playable female protagonist, I’d say yes, it’s a possibility.

Personal I'd welcome this with open arms whether we have a choice between Link and a female protag or not. I'd really like to see one based on a revamped Linkle design or a totally new design. Honestly I can't really see much changing, even in previous games, if this were a thing in the past. There's no reason to think a Zelda game would change much if our hero were a girl. Mostly I just want to see what they can come up with, there aren't many Nintendo characters that I dislike so I think they could easily pull this off well.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
i dont give a **** what gender my character is i just want to solve puzzles and have good combat in my video game. if it ain't Zelda then having a girl or a boy aint finna change **** naam sayin nigga. So Aonuma can say possiubility or blue, don't mean nothin til it happen but even if it DOES happen it srtill aint changin the core of what a Zelda game is all about naam sayin.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Female protag doesn't have to mean female Link, does it? Linkle isn't a female Link, she's her own character. Aonuma already established that he views Link as a character, and yet still says it's possible for there to be a female protag. I think that means that said female protag doesnt necessarily have to be a female Link. It could be something similar to Linkle.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Female protag doesn't have to mean female Link, does it? Linkle isn't a female Link, she's her own character. Aonuma already established that he views Link as a character, and yet still says it's possible for there to be a female protag. I think that means that said female protag doesnt necessarily have to be a female Link. It could be something similar to Linkle.
I don't want someone who isn't Link to be who I play as, though.

Jamie

What do you think about having the option to pick between Link and this female protag?
I think that muddies the story. Every link except TWW, which for plot reasons did not have the hero's spirit, should have the hero's spirit. Linkle should not get the hero's spirit because she doesn't match the description. I wouldn't be up in arms but I wouldn't like it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Linkle isn't a female Link, she's a bimbo who plays ****en pretend. dumbass ***** can't even read, I don't want no kinda Linkle ***** ass in my game aight fam.

But even so, for a female protag, this isn't even a revolutionary thing. Zelda is playable in SPirit Tracks, Faces of Evil, Wand of Gamelon, Hyrule Warriors, and I think Skyward Sword. a female protag doesn't chang ethe game, it isn't some victory to herald. dabs

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think that muddies the story. Every link except TWW, which for plot reasons did not have the hero's spirit, should have the hero's spirit. Linkle should not get the hero's spirit because she doesn't match the description. I wouldn't be up in arms but I wouldn't like it.
Why would it muddy the story? It'd be like any other game where you can choose your gender. Besides, there's nothing that says the hero's spirit can't reincarnate as a girl, right?

Jamie

Why would it muddy the story? It'd be like any other game where you can choose your gender. Besides, there's nothing that says the hero's spirit can't reincarnate as a girl, right?
There's nothing that says it, but I don't like the idea of it. I prefer Link being a constant male character and always receiving the hero's spirit. It's a series staple that I enjoy.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
There's nothing that says it, but I don't like the idea of it. I prefer Link being a constant male character and always receiving the hero's spirit. It's a series staple that I enjoy.
I can understand that.

I personally see it being in the same vein as the formula breaks that makes up the entire basis for Breath of the Wild. I've always been an advocate for it and I want to see them keep up this trend even after BotW.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
If they wanna have a gender swapped Link, then fine. whatever. Linkel is basically that but good God that name is on a higher level of stupid.

If we can play other characters who (God forbid!) just happen to have boobs then so what. Playing as a gerudo or sheikah gal would be hot- I mean, um fun n' stuff.

But Link is Link and there's no need to screw around with that. And someday, maybe, Zelda will actually get to star in her own legend?

Link, like other "silent protagonists" popular in Japanese games, was designed to be androgynous anyway.

But cramming in a female protagonist for the sake of "MUH DIVERSITY!!" is dumb. so whatever happens don't do that.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Only if the playable female was part of the story and not one that replaces Link. Someone who would be there regardless of whether you picked to play as them or not.

I do not want a gender option for Link who is a male character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom