• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Why is the Master Sword looking broken? Theories?

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
Hey yall. Master sword is looking broken. Who do you think broke it? It could be anything. After all, they never said the Master Sword couldn't be destroyed. I think that's exactly what it is in BOTW. A shell of what it used to be, my theory is that the residual consciousness of Demise corrupted the blade or is currently corrupting the blade from within, whether or not the blade has been destroyed to the point where it is no longer functional is still up for debate (my opinion on that is in another castle... I mean thread). But I want to know your possible theories on why the Master Sword has been damaged. :) Let's get theorizing!

Questions: Why does the Master Sword have a damaged appearance in Breath of the Wild? Do you think the sword still holds the power to repel evil? Why? Why not?

Notes: Be sure to give a why. And remember that saying something is probably going to be the same way in this game because it was the same in another game might not prove anything since BOTW is a game meant to break the conventions of Zelda. So choose your points carefully. Lastly, be creative! Think through every scenario to come up with a really good one!

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate that there are so many theories kicking about mentioning Demise as the cause of the MS looking the way it does.

If this game comes after OoT then Demise will have had loads of time since SS to corrupt the MS. Why would he only start now, eras after he was defeated?

I dont know why the MS looks the way it does but it shouldnt be Demise and i'll be gutted if it actually is since he was one of the worst bings to happen in Zelda.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate that there are so many theories kicking about mentioning Demise as the cause of the MS looking the way it does.

If this game comes after OoT then Demise will have had loads of time since SS to corrupt the MS. Why would he only start now, eras after he was defeated?

I dont know why the MS looks the way it does but it shouldnt be Demise and i'll be gutted if it actually is since he was one of the worst bings to happen in Zelda.
Oh no. He's been corrupting it the whole time. But Link keeps reforging/upgrading the master sword to keep it safe (like in Wind Waker it loses its power and Ganon's seal is "unplugged" when Link draws the sword. Why? Probably because it is getting weaker, it never actually says.). Think about what would happen if no bad guy rose up for like a super long time. No one would check on the sword and he would finally be able to corrupt it. But the only reason I like this theory is because it explains a lot more of BOTW's possible backstory, not because I'm begging for Demise's return. I hate him too.

I'm having trouble coming up with the full story with this one because every time I try to flesh it out there are problems with timeline placement in one way or another...

But basically, I think that Ganon appears at some point and Link fails to defeat him and Ganon claims the triforce of courage from him which allows him to transform to a higher, more powerful form (Calamity Ganon). Somehow Link, either dead or mostly dead, is taken and a shrine of Resurrection is made to bring him back to try again. In the meantime, Zelda (or someone else, maybe the Sages) recovers the master sword. Zelda, being wise and all from her triforce piece, knows that Ganon will be after her to complete the triforce so she concocts a plan to lure Ganon to Hyrule Castle. Once he is there, Zelda has a fight with Ganon to try and defeat him herself. When she realizes that defeat is imminent, Zelda reveals that she and the Sages have learned how to draw the magical powers from the sword into herself and she acts as a vessel to contain Ganon to only Hyrule Castle. Just as she finishes this process, Ganon knocks the sword from the window (or something) and it is recovered by a sage or Zelda loyalist. Wanting to keep the sword safe for when Link returns, they place the sword out in the forbidden Forrest in a place that will be very unlikely to be found by someone without a proper sheikah sla... I mean map. Without its magic, it decays some over the next 100 years.

Tldr: Zelda absorbs the Master swords power in order to contain Ganon to Hyrule Castle, allowing it to rust and decay.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

Impa did say he would decay within the sword so I would expect he was gone by the era this game takes place in.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yeah thats the conclusion i'd come to. Its also the one thing people seem yo cometely ignore. Demise must have a fan base.

If people came in on SS as their first or one of their first games I can understand it. But if you've had experience of Ganondorf, Demise is just lacking big time by comparison.

I wouldn't mind seeing demise again if they actually gave him a decent character and fleshed him out (What they should have done in the first place) but just throwing him in once more as just the evil to be defeated...That is not something I'd be pleased to see.

TattooArtist

I'm the B and my boyfriend is the T in LGBT ❤
The master sword thankfully destroyed the one and only Demise and was put back to sleep along with Fi.:fi: Knowingly, that Demise swallowed Ghirihim :ghirahim: and The Imprisoned:bomb:. Although, knowing how powerful these 3 enemies are, their power combined could be so strong I couldn't imagine it. It's likely that they were brought back to life and summoned Calamitty Ganon who summons the Guardians to take over the world, and knowing that the Hero of Time is going to appear, they find Link before Link finds them and send him into a deep sleep for 100 years. But since they know he'll wake up they destroy the master sword with their unspeakable powers and leave it wounded. :sword::(

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
Impa did say he would decay within the sword so I would expect he was gone by the era this game takes place in.
NO SHE DIDN'T! :( Show me! I literally watched all the cutscenes with Impa to FIND this and it never happened. You didn't bring forth evidence last time I asked you for it and you kept switching your statement, bring forth where you got this from.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
NO SHE DIDN'T! :( Show me! I literally watched all the cutscenes with Impa to FIND this and it never happened. You didn't bring forth evidence last time I asked you for it and you kept switching your statement, bring forth where you got this from.

Kept Switching it? I've told you a million times already not to exaggerate. I switched it once.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BDqqm6rhF-s

6:09

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
Kept Switching it? I've told you a million times already not to exaggerate. I switched it once.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BDqqm6rhF-s

6:09
Thank you! But then did you see what she says next!? Look at what she says next! "Someone must stay behind to watch over this blade. His spirit must not reawaken. He must never be allowed to threaten this world again." :/ That right there says there is a possibility of his return. And lol you tell me not to exaggerate and you use the wording "a million times" in the same sentence.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Look at what she says next! "Someone must stay behind to watch over this blade. His spirit must not reawaken. He must never be allowed to threaten this world again." :/ That right there says there is a possibility of his return

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
decay doesn't necessarily mean he'll be 100% gone for good, you can decay to a point. And for clarity, she says he "IS slowly decaying within the master sword." She never says it will lead to him being gone, in fact she infers the opposite. She even gives a warning about if the master sword is not watched carefully enough. So let's say no one took a good look at the master sword for a very long time, he would have a chance to "reawaken." Maybe he stops decaying when someone draws him from the pedestal, that seems to have zapped away the Master Sword's power before (WW) And from what we see of BOTW, Demise isn't the only thing that has decayed. The Master Sword, Guardians, the temple of time and the whole land of Hyrule... Its almost the theme of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom