• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild How Pleased are you with what you have seen

How pleased

• 1- I want to gauge out my eyes

Votes: 1 1.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 3 3.7%

Votes: 4 4.9%

Votes: 12 14.8%

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • 10- I couldnt be more pleased

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters
There is definitely an air of fabricated linearity in some games out there. As you mentioned, Xenoblade X was one of them that gives you a feeling of openness but is really quite more linear than you think.

I'll be honest, and I turned it off after watching the first hour of gameplay, because I don't want to know too much, but we'll just have to wait and see if they really hamper the exploration or if they give us a work-around for it.
Xenoblade Wii was very linear. XCX linear yes, to a point with the main story line but a lot less than other games. We will have to wait and see how BotW handles this, I agree with you there.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Trigger warning, unpopular opinion incoming!

Speaking honestly, I am so.... absolutely sick and tired of Nintendo fans constantly preaching about how "amazingly innovative" Nintendo has been in the last decade. When that hasn't been the case at all! Their "innovations" have mostly been hardware gimmicks that either were completely unnecessary, were overdone and were better used in a scaled down form, or were used excessively for functions for which they were not ideally suited just for the sake of having a gimmicky way of controlling it. The only improvements on Nintendo's consoles not counting the upcoming NX is when they rolled back to more traditional controls, while fine tuning their previous gimmick controls to focus purely on what they help with the most. Such as motion control helping with precision aiming like in Ocarina of Time 3D or as using touch screens for maps and menus only like in many games instead of for controlling the entire game like Phantom Hourglass. But I don't call that innovation, that's downscaling and optimization. On the software front their games have been steadily declining in quality for the last decade becoming more and more dull. With some exceptions of course, but not enough to really make it feel worth it.

The point of that rant.... is because at last we are actually seeing real innovation for once and not just mindless hardware gimmicks with no substance that have to be corrected a gen or so later like usual. Nintendo is actually trying something new and creative WITHIN THE GAME ITSELF and not on pure hardware gimmick like they're usually obsessed with. Which I think makes for far better games. Their games would be way, WAY better than they have been if they devoted the energy they've been wasting on their hardware gimmicks into their software development. For hardware they should just have simple, practical controls. No touch screen on consoles, but one used for menus and such on handheld. Motion controls, if they are there at all, limited to specific functions on each like fine aiming. A simple, practical controller that works. That's it. Then they can invest so much more into the games and we can get way more games that look as promising and irresistible as Breath of the Wild. I'm already convinced it's going to be my favorite Nintendo title, that's not a port or remake, that's been released since the original Twilight Princess on the GameCube (not the wii). I know there are wii titles that some people liked, but I didn't. And this game alone looks so amazing that I am most likely going to get an NX just for it.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but oh my god how I hate that pling noise that is made when you pick up a new item. Hear it 24/7 in every demo I've seen. Hopefully there is an option for disabling it otherwise the first few days of playing will be hell because you constantly going to be picking up new stuff

I am absolutely stoked for BotW. The graphics look great, and Im sure they will look even better on the NX. The freedom of this game is definitely a welcome change. Im sort of sad to see heart containers/recovery hearts & Rupees go, but all the new stuff we get to do makes up for it. Cant wait for this game to come out!

It's a 9/10 for me. Since we've mostly only seen the plateau, and most of the footage covers the same basic stuff (on the surface), I normally shouldn't be this excited. But hey, it's a new Zelda game!

I had some expectations, some hopes and some wild ideas for that game.
When the trailer eas shown, all of them were in there, and much more that I couldnt even think to expect.
I literally stoped breathing when I heared the "Open your eyes", and took the next breath, a few minutes after rhe trailer ended, only to go into an extatic happiness... dance... thing... , ending up hurting my knee.

Yes I am weird

Last edited:

Tibari

Rinkuji
Im sort of sad to see heart containers/recovery hearts & Rupees go, but all the new stuff we get to do makes up for it. Cant wait for this game to come out!

Rupees are in the game, but you will not earn them the same way than before.
I'm totally hyped for this game, and I'm so pleased with what I have seen that I can't play any other RPG / adventure games while waiting for BOTW

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Speaking honestly, I am so.... absolutely sick and tired of Nintendo fans constantly preaching about how "amazingly innovative" Nintendo has been in the last decade. When that hasn't been the case at all! Their "innovations" have mostly been hardware gimmicks that either were completely unnecessary, were overdone and were better used in a scaled down form, or were used excessively for functions for which they were not ideally suited just for the sake of having a gimmicky way of controlling it.

And yet I must ask...how are these not innovations? The Wii and Wii U are pretty original as far as consoles go....they're just not good. Innovations are seldom necessary or even good, so I don't see the point here.

The only improvements on Nintendo's consoles not counting the upcoming NX is when they rolled back to more traditional controls, while fine tuning their previous gimmick controls to focus purely on what they help with the most.

Yes...but that isn't innovation (and you acknowledged this). I'd say Nintendo has been pretty innovative overall...but I wouldn't say it's a good thing personally.

The point of that rant.... is because at last we are actually seeing real innovation for once and not just mindless hardware gimmicks with no substance that have to be corrected a gen or so later like usual. Nintendo is actually trying something new and creative WITHIN THE GAME ITSELF and not on pure hardware gimmick like they're usually obsessed with.

I...have to disagree. It's different from traditional Zelda, but is it really innovative? Is it really new?

A lot of what the trailer showed in the way of added features were things I'd seen and experienced in other games like Monster Hunter, Witcher 3, Xenoblade X and others.

The gameplay like hunting,cooking, woodcutting and runes remined me A LOT of RuneScape.

Solid 8/10 showing.
Looks to me like Fable smashed up with Skyrim or something.

^Pretty common comments I see about BOTW. This was just within the last two pages of this thread. It might be different than what we expect from Zelda...but it's not new. These elements have shown up in plenty of other non-Zelda games.

I'm just super excited for a new Zelda proper so whenever I see something about it I get even more psyched.

I haven't really been too excited about Zelda U since we hadn't received anything on the game for a long time but I must say I am impressed with what I have seen today.

Just making a poll to see how pleased the people of this forum are with Zelda U's showing so far.

I am very please with what has been shown so far, some great mechanics and a gorgeous art style!

I am glad they have not shown to much or any villages as I want to be able to explore these for myself first hand.

It will raise the bar for open world games, nay-sayers will have their foot in their mouth. I have a feeling we have barely scratched the surface of what this game will offer...

10/10

What I've seen so far has just blown me away. It was the perfect amount to tease me and get me to want to explore the rest of the game. Most games these days are too eager to show you everything the game has to offer in the trailer alone and can spoil most of it. I'm happy they showed off a small amount in the trailer. Like I said, just enough to intrigue me into exploring myself.

Not to mention the fact that the trailer and everything shown off has been gameplay. None of this "cinematic trailer" bs that every other game is doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom