• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild There will be NO female Link

1. At one point yes, recently, like as far back as maybe OOT, not anymore, especially since there's apparently no longer the option to rename him making him literally just a silent character.

2. Uh, yeah it would. Giving the player the option to choose something as integral as their gender to a established character who is part of the lore seriously messes with ya know the story. As Link can't be canonically a male and female at the same time, and even if we did have one be stated as deliberately canon, the feel of customizing him at all seriously takes away from the feel of him as his own character. It wouldn't if literally every character in the game had the same choice, but if it's just Link it does.

Plus, what's the damn point? Assuming you can't name him, why would you even want the option to make him more like you when he obviously isn't you?

First off, in a fantasy game where you can literally run around setting fires to whole forests and cook by staring at a pot, the one addition to BotW that is the most outlandish and inflammatory is an option that would be more inclusive to female players? And speaking of customization, you can customize Link the MOST in this new game, from his tunic to weapons, etc. Based on your logic, that would also seriously take away from his characterization too - if we consider female Link as a purely aesthetic difference. Considering how absolutely, mind-blowingly realistic BoW is already, issues like female Link having a period wouldn't exist.
Having said that, isn't Link being male purely aesthetic? I've never seen where or when Link being male affected the story or lore of the LOZ series so far (as you said, he's a silent character), aside for possible romantic interactions with female characters. If people can't stand a female Link saving Zelda or traveling with a female partner (Midna, Fi), then that's a completely different issue altogether, which have easy solutions like switching the genders of any love interests.
I wonder if the real problem here is that Link having courage can only be characterized with him being a man. I would honestly hope that's not why it's so integral for Link to be exclusively male.

Lastly, ever played Fallout 4, Pokemon, or even Animal Crossing? The protagonists not being canonically male weren't a problem there, and even in those situations (as well as other games in which M/F selection is available) the male version was usually the one featured more prominently on box-art, trailers, etc. In other words, male Link would still be the one everyone sees, since male Link is iconic and whatnot. Again, it would literally be an option.
If you can understand why Link's gender is integral to the connection between the players and the game, then why do you think female players would feel any different? The "damn point" is that most people want to relate to the character they can (potentially) name and play as.

It is a small change, that literally would not affect you in any way if you intend to keep playing as the male version, but could mean so much for people who like playing as a female.

And no, it is not a poor business decision to make your product available for a wider audience. Especially considering that half of humans are females who logically are more inclined to try something if they can relate themselves to it. But who knows, maybe it indeed is smarter business wise to keep appealing to sweaty pubescent boys who believe women are conspiring to take over the world?

2 points I need to comment here;

1. Link being his own character has never been as simple as you make it out to be. The creator wanted him to originally be a link between Hyrule and our world, a blank avatar.

2. Even if we consider him a character, giving an alternate CHOICE does not remove the character aspect because you can still play as the original male version.
It's a good buisiness decisions because more people are either neutral or against Fem!Link as opposed to wanting it.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Thank goodness. This is as it should be.

Pity, I would have been cool with an optional selection for male or female Link. That would've been a satisfactory middle ground, right?

No.

First off, in a fantasy game where you can literally run around setting fires to whole forests and cook by staring at a pot, the one addition to BotW that is the most outlandish and inflammatory is an option that would be more inclusive to female players? And speaking of customization, you can customize Link the MOST in this new game, from his tunic to weapons, etc. Based on your logic, that would also seriously take away from his characterization too - if we consider female Link as a purely aesthetic difference. Considering how absolutely, mind-blowingly realistic BoW is already, issues like female Link having a period wouldn't exist.
Having said that, isn't Link being male purely aesthetic? I've never seen where or when Link being male affected the story or lore of the LOZ series so far (as you said, he's a silent character), aside for possible romantic interactions with female characters. If people can't stand a female Link saving Zelda or traveling with a female partner (Midna, Fi), then that's a completely different issue altogether, which have easy solutions like switching the genders of any love interests.
I wonder if the real problem here is that Link having courage can only be characterized with him being a man. I would honestly hope that's not why it's so integral for Link to be exclusively male.

Lastly, ever played Fallout 4, Pokemon, or even Animal Crossing? The protagonists not being canonically male weren't a problem there, and even in those situations (as well as other games in which M/F selection is available) the male version was usually the one featured more prominently on box-art, trailers, etc. In other words, male Link would still be the one everyone sees, since male Link is iconic and whatnot. Again, it would literally be an option.
If you can understand why Link's gender is integral to the connection between the players and the game, then why do you think female players would feel any different? The "damn point" is that most people want to relate to the character they can (potentially) name and play as.

It is not about customization, and it never has been. It isn't about inclusiveness, and it never has been. It's about a character that is and has always been canonically male and turning him female to appease a bunch of social terrorists.

Zorth said:
And no, it is not a poor business decision to make your product available for a wider audience.

Wider? By how much? 15 people? Also, females can still play this game. They always have, and they always will be able to. Making Link female does not open it up to more people that were some how unable to play the game with a male Link.

Especially considering that half of humans are females

More than half of the human population is female...

who logically are more inclined to try something if they can relate themselves to it.

...who make up a small fraction of dedicated gamers. And I guarantee you making Link female wouldn't attract millions of female gamers.

But who knows, maybe it indeed is smarter business wise to keep appealing to sweaty pubescent boys who believe women are conspiring to take over the world?

It is. Pandering to a bunch of morons who wouldn't get this game even if there were an option is smart business. The world would be a better place without SJWs and their toxicity.

I've said it before, and I'll repeat. Link is male. Zelda is female. I don't hear any of you so-called champions of justice and equality saying "You know, it really is time we have a male Zelda. Yeah, Zeldo would be a great addition to the game lore."

Just because you can name your game file doesn't mean Link isn't still Link. Link has always been Link. He has been called Link from the start. He is male.

You can name Ness, but Ness is still male. You can name Paula but Paula is still female. This entire argument is founded upon an incredible lack of logic and understanding, and entirely on feelings, which always makes a bad argument.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Thank goodness. This is as it should be.

No.

It is not about customization, and it never has been. It isn't about inclusiveness, and it never has been. It's about a character that is and has always been canonically male and turning him female to appease a bunch of social terrorists.

Wider? By how much? 15 people? Also, females can still play this game. They always have, and they always will be able to. Making Link female does not open it up to more people that were some how unable to play the game with a male Link.

More than half of the human population is female...

...who make up a small fraction of dedicated gamers. And I guarantee you making Link female wouldn't attract millions of female gamers.

It is. Pandering to a bunch of morons who wouldn't get this game even if there were an option is smart business. The world would be a better place without SJWs and their toxicity.

I've said it before, and I'll repeat. Link is male. Zelda is female. I don't hear any of you so-called champions of justice and equality saying "You know, it really is time we have a female Zelda. Yeah, Zeldo would be a great addition to the game lore."

Just because you can name your game file doesn't mean Link isn't still Link. Link has always been Link. He has been called Link from the start. He is male.

You can name Ness, but Ness is still male. You can name Paula but Paula is still female. This entire argument is founded upon an incredible lack of logic and understanding, and entirely on feelings, which always makes a bad argument.
I think more females would be attracted by shirtless link rather than a female link.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I think more females would be attracted by shirtless link rather than a female link.
As they evidently are (see Treehouse grills, constantly making quips about spooky skeleton arm trying to grab Link's ass among other things).

And I forgot to save the pic, but the SJWs don't actually want female Link. they just want male Link removed. See: Anita Sarkeesian whining about no female Link, and subsequently some other reject whining about Linkle literally being Ms.Male (which is what femLink would be anyway).

Reactions: Dio

Robyn_Hoo

Eren's Princess
I was kind of hoping for a female Link, especially now that I know that he can be shirtless in this game. But it really isn't the end of the world...

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Are people going to argue about this "issue" every time a major Zelda instalment is on the verge of release?

Honestly, I hope not. I hope this issue goes away for ever. But it won't. This was never an issue before, not until they infiltrated gaming. Now, everything is an issue. It's absurd. I want it to stop, and I want it to go away.

That kind of toxic "politics" has no place in gaming. Gaming should be about the games. We should be arguing graphics, not the sex of the character. But that is what they have turned our society into.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Are people going to argue about this "issue" every time a major Zelda instalment is on the verge of release?
Honestly, I hope not. I hope this issue goes away for ever. But it won't. This was never an issue before, not until they infiltrated gaming. Now, everything is an issue. It's absurd. I want it to stop, and I want it to go away.

That kind of toxic "politics" has no place in gaming. Gaming should be about the games. We should be arguing graphics, not the sex of the character. But that is what they have turned our society into.
Aounuma needs to come out and say 'there will NEVER be female link so stop whining about it'

I gotta say, I find this whole discussion kind of weird, because I have never felt that the gender of the protagonists of any given story had any meaningful impact on my enjoyment of said story. Nor did I ever have a problem playing a video game character because of his gender, because, honestly, there's a lot more to life than what is going on in your pants. I'm a big fan of the Wario Land franchise (duh), for example, and Wario is probably the least feminine character I can think of. Still, I enjoy playing as him, because he's an awesome character, and really speaks to the worst sides of my nature - I mean, who doesn't like to play as a greedy, immoral, selfish slob of a man who doesn't have an ounce of heroism in his body and is just doing it for the money? I definitely get a kick out of it - and yet I'm very different from Wario, and not only regarding my gender. (Or at least, that's what I like to tell myself.)

In the same way, I have taken on the role of a genetically enhanced bounty hunter in Metroid, a space-travelling plumber in Super Mario Galaxy, a vertically challenged boxer in Punch Out!! or some cutesy aristocratic brats in Fire Emblem. And guess what, none of them are like me in reality. I have never morphed into a ball, I suck at plumbing, let alone flying through the galaxy, and even Glass Joe would probably have a good shot at knocking me out.These characters aren't me, and don't have too much in common with my real life; I doubt that Samus Aran wakes up at night thinking about her crippling student debts, nor could I refrain from complaining every five minutes if I had to put on some armour to help some fancy prince like Marth reclaim his monarchy. And you know what, that's totally fine with me! Because, in the end, I still enjoy their games. I feel like a badass when I kick Ridley butt, I'm as ecstatic as Mario when I fly through the star-filled depths of space, and when I'm finally able to convert some jerk's face to a bloody pulp, I really feel like I went through the same exhausting training regimen like Lil' Mac to achieve that. I share their experiences, I can get behind their goals, and I root for them to succeed.

And with Link, it's basically the same thing. Despite being so often dismissed as a blank slate, he is a character. True, he's not a character fitting the modern narrative tradition with it's emphasis on inner psycholgical conflicts and reactions, but more of a character in line with the pre-modern epic narrative tradition (think Beowulf, or, in the 20th century, Tolkien), that is, defined by his actions. He's the guy who looks at a towering pig monster and thinks "Yup, gotta take this thing down, there's a princess to rescue." He's the guy who, despite growing up on a far-off island without ever seeing anything of the wider world, sails away with some pirates when an effing giant bird kidnaps his sister. He's even the guy who will clean your health hazard of an apartment for nothing but your (crystallized) gratitude. I certainly wouldn't do that, trust me. Back in OoT, I would have repeatedly shat my pants after barely having survived meeting Gohma, and then hid under my bed until Ganondorf makes sawdust out of Kokiri forest. Not Link though, he's a courageous mofo who wields badass swords and unhesitatingly goes to places I would avoid like the plague, just to save princesses and siblings and kingdoms and stuff. And that's his character. I'm just along for the ride.

Thus, from my own experiences, I can barely relate to that guy, or any video game character. They are not like me. Still, I can empathize with them (yes, even with those gross boys). While my own interest in kingdoms and my desire to get in Zeldas pants is marginal at best, like Link, I prefer my towns filled with people rather than with undead hordes, I do think that a moon crashing down on a populated planet is an unfortunate event, and hey, Link seems like a nice fella, so if he wants to get some smooches from Zelda/Malon/Ruto etc., good for him! I do not need him to be a carbon-copy of me to take interest in his adventure, and I certainly do not require him to have the same genitals as I do.

So, what would having a female Link achieve? Would it make her more relatable? Not exactly, because while sharing my general biological set-up, female Link would still be a very different person. I'm staying under that bed, thank you very much. And, seriously, I sorta doubt that most female gamers are the kind of people who would willingly battle with heavily armed megalomaniacs like Ganondorf for a living. There's always a disconnect between the heroes of our video games and ourselves, because video games usually let us experience adventures that we don't encounter in our own lives (unless you really enjoy playing Cooking Mama), where the most frightening boss enemies are those damn monthly bills. They are stories, and the beautiful thing about stories is that because of them, we can experience other worlds through the eyes of other people. When my dad read the Hobbit to me when I was 5, I was as scared as Bilbo as he encountered these cockney-speaking trolls (more because of the troll part, not so much because of the cockney), and I wasn't egotistical enough to demand that Bilbo could have at least worn the same pigtails as me for the occasion.

Because that would rob the character of his autonomy. And yes, even Link has that autonomy, acting and reacting in his own ways, having his own self, his own background and story, established over multiple installments. True, in a video game, I do have control over what he does, but within the limits of the narrative. I might be a psychopathic chicken abuser, but the story has tactfully ignored this unpleasant fact so far, leading Link to heroically saving the world again and again. And that's canon, folks. Changing his gender would throw all of this canon away, reducing him from a somewhat shallow, but good natured bloke with an impressive resumé over his several reincarnations to an idealized version of myself with an uncanny fascination with green fashion disasters. And why? Because balls.

(PS. There's a certain irony to the "But Link has no character" argument, by the way. I don't want to go into depth here, because this post is getting rather long, but reducing Link to an unspecific avatar character would be a surefire way undermine any of efforts to give future Zelda titles more story development and deeper characterization. And frankly, when it comes to getting better games or having more of mah female representashun, I choose the former.)

Last edited:
We also have FF15 now which seems to be an outing with the bros. I think it would be very different if it was a female cast.

I'm actually curious about that game.... It's an unusual choice for a JRPG to do something like that. Usually the guys in such a group are outnumbered by a harem.

Just to be clear, the only FF game I've played was 7, and while I did finish it, I wasn't a fan. I understand why people may have liked it back in the day when such a thing was new, but nowadays I can't really get behind the characters' initial motives.

I'd just like to edit after reading Syrup's post. Wow. Just wow. It was a pleasure to read.

I've said the same myself. I don't want or need Link to be me. I work in a freakin' call center fixing cell phones and internet connections for a living. Who wants to play THAT game? (Though, the idea of Ganondorf being the really jerkoff customer who demands credits and wants you fired for the slightest little thing is an amusing thought. Or maybe he's just looking to buy the most evil tablet...Here Mr. Dorf, join me in Surface fandom.) I've done some crazy stuff in my life that would probably cause others to mess up their pants, but that doesn't make me the type to pack up, leave home and family, and go swording things. I got priorities, like a kid to raise.

I feel lucky to live in an area where hikes and other mini-adventures are a quick drive away. My commute to work is through cliffs and volcanoes under an amazing monsoon sky during the summer. (The prettiest clouds you've ever seen.) Just going about my daily business gives me thrills. I don't need a video game for that.

But people think that Link has to "represent" them somehow for them to enjoy the game...

Legend of Zelda, like most video games, books, and media, is an escape to another world. And in the case of Link, it is the escape to the life of a character who is not you. When I first played OOT, I felt my heart melt as Link tore himself away from Saria for the first time. He didn't want to leave. It was that moment of empathy that made me want to fight FOR Link. If Link is replaced by a character creator, then I lose that. Link does have a character, and I love it to pieces.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm actually curious about that game.... It's an unusual choice for a JRPG to do something like that. Usually the guys in such a group are outnumbered by a harem.

Just to be clear, the only FF game I've played was 7, and while I did finish it, I wasn't a fan. I understand why people may have liked it back in the day when such a thing was new, but nowadays I can't really get behind the characters' initial motives.
There is usually a mix I think, but I don't remember a bro outing like this before. I haven't played loads of games in the series but the ones I have include a mixed team.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
In case it wasn't clear, the "customization" in this game is clothing customization, and all of it operates via finding the items and clothing in the game world, making those options canonical. The customization is not character customization, and unlike character customization, this customization does not take away from the character that is Link, as literally any character could have this type of customization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom