• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Discussion Thread

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
That's explained actually, Jedi's have naturally better reflexes, and can even see things before they happen. If you had that ability vs a bunch of normal (yet experienced) pilots you could still potentially win. Within the Star Wars universe this was possible and established. Is there something more in line with what I'm asking like an experienced Jedi Trick vs another Jedi as quickly as Rey?
Well this has two points.
1. Natural force affinity. Some people have much higher affinity than others, and brute force can overpower skill, especially when...

2. He was caught by surprise. He had no idea Rey would be sensitive nor did he have any inkling of her natural power, so of course she was able to drive him off the first time.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Qui Gon Jinn
"Use the force Anakin"
Precedes to use the force to win a race that he has never even won in his life when he is like 9 years old with no training whatsoever.
* a race he's never even finished before. Let alone win. Then there's him taking control of an N-1 Starfighter never having been in anything like it before and successfully piloting it inside the control ship and blowing it up, something none of the veteran pilots could do.

Also talked about in the video I linked. I swear none of you watched it, but whatever lol.
I did and I think you're overstating it. And you're ignoring the precedent that force sensitives tend to pick up skills quickly and be very talented with things that require fast reflexes such as piloting. Luke was a fair pilot in A New Hope, but had absolutely zero experience in an X-wing, or in combat at all for that matter. He never got a crash course on how to operate an X-Wing nor any real instruction on proper procedures but he picked it up fairly well anyway. The special editions and DVD versions add in a deleted scene where another pilot is questioning his competency with an X-Wing and Biggs comes in to vouch for him.

After the battle almost all the experienced, veteran combat pilots were dead and he wasn't and he was very quickly promoted to commander and reformed the remnants of Red Squadron into Rogue Squadron, the fighter group he's seen commanding at the beginning of Empire Strikes Back. Then there's him using the force to grab his lightsaber, something he'd never been taught to do, something he didn't even know was possible, but he managed to do it because he was desperate. Desperation tends to help force sensitives tap into abilities through the help of the force. This is an established trait of the force that was not new to this film.

Hmmm, fair enough. You guys are convincing, however I guess I just didn't get these impressions while watching the movie.

I didn't watch it because it looked like it was gonna be a classic butthurt fanbaby complaining about a female lead lol

Was not the case, I think like myself, he just really needed to apparently pick apart the series to play along with this character. He and I both liked the character of Rey, we just didn't get the impression she was always believable. Maybe it was purely because of a little less apparent lack of flaws (flaws are there none-the-less).

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
* a race he's never even finished before. Let alone win. Then there's him taking control of an N-1 Starfighter never having been in anything like it before and successfully piloting it inside the control ship and blowing it up, something none of the veteran pilots could do.

I did and I think you're overstating it. And you're ignoring the precedent that force sensitives tend to pick up skills quickly and be very talented with things that require fast reflexes such as piloting. Luke was a fair pilot in A New Hope, but had absolutely zero experience in an X-wing, or in combat at all for that matter. He never got a crash course on how to operate an X-Wing nor any real instruction on proper procedures but he picked it up fairly well anyway. The special editions and DVD versions add in a deleted scene where another pilot is questioning his competency with an X-Wing and Biggs comes in to vouch for him.

After the battle almost all the experienced, veteran combat pilots were dead and he wasn't and he was very quickly promoted to commander and reformed the remnants of Red Squadron into Rogue Squadron, the fighter group he's seen commanding at the beginning of Empire Strikes Back. Then there's him using the force to grab his lightsaber, something he'd never been taught to do, something he didn't even know was possible, but he managed to do it because he was desperate. Desperation tends to help force sensitives tap into abilities through the help of the force. This is an established trait of the force that was not new to this film.
Not to mention, Luke being able to see force spirits in a life or death situation. This is something that took Obi-wan and Yoda nearly a lifetime(more than a lifetime on Yoda's part) to master in order to talk and speak with Qui Gon, yet Luke does it after a small training session with Obi Wan, and nothing more.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Soooo, Rouge One. Do you guys think we'll see Darth Vader in it? I think it'd be cool to see him again but I feel like it would be difficult to cast anyone else from the original trilogy in it because no one else can really play their characters as well as they do. Darth Vader is a different story because he's got the helmet and stuff, but Leia is someone I don't think we'll see in the movie.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Soooo, Rouge One. Do you guys think we'll see Darth Vader in it? I think it'd be cool to see him again but I feel like it would be difficult to cast anyone else from the original trilogy in it because no one else can really play their characters as well as they do. Darth Vader is a different story because he's got the helmet and stuff, but Leia is someone I don't think we'll see in the movie.
Nah... I think this is a more concentrated tale. Not about the force, not about Jedi. I think it's merely a war story that takes place in the Star Wars universe. Nothing wrong with that.... However, it is a departure nonetheless.

It's as if you put Mockinjay and Star Wars and mashed it together sort of.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I doubt he'll be part of the main plot. But I think it's likely we'll see him cameo in the end as he sets off to pursue the signal, as we see him doing in the beginning of A New Hope. He cameoed similarly at the end of Dark Forces, which is what this movie is being adapted from. I'm betting anything that Rogue One will end with a view of Leia's ship, without necessarily having to actually see Leia or anyone else inside it besides maybe the droids or nameless soldiers, as it receives the plans.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Maybe we can get Star Killer since it's darth vader era..... by far my favorite SW character.
He's dead though.
He literally died just to make the rebel alliance, so he isn't going to be able to make an appearance. Unless Disney remakes that part of the canon.

It's funny someone on my FB is talking about he hated Episode VII, for basically the same reasons I said (but he actually didn't like it, while I did despite what I consider problems). I'm trying to play devils advocate here with some of your arguments but I don't think I'm being very convincing for him. Oh wells.

He's dead though.
He literally died just to make the rebel alliance, so he isn't going to be able to make an appearance. Unless Disney remakes that part of the canon.
Despite being my favorite character I surprisingly never played Force Unleashed 2, even though I own it on PC and PS3. So I didn't know his fate.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Despite being my favorite character I surprisingly never played Force Unleashed 2, even though I own it on PC and PS3. So I didn't know his fate.
???
Um... Starkillers fate was determined in the first game...
The game ends with Starkiller dying for the rebel alliance(or joining Darth Sidius and wrecking everyone). The second game was merely just a sideshow involving a clone.

???
Um... Starkillers fate was determined in the first game...
The game ends with Starkiller dying for the rebel alliance(or joining Darth Sidius and wrecking everyone). The second game was merely just a sideshow involving a clone.

I guess I forgot lol. I haven't beat it since Dec 2009 according to my PSN profile. I have a bad memory, I guess that's why playing games is so fun the second time around ^^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom