• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The problem with the mods isn't that they aren't doing their jobs; they are, and they're doing a great job. The problem is that there isn't much for them to do nowadays, which people interpret as them being lazy and not doing what they're supposed to. I haven't seen a member break any really serious rules in a long time, or really seen much happen that requires moderator attention. The main problem is that, when a problem does occur, it just so happens to occur during a time when no mods are around to solve it. That's not the fault of the mods, they have lives and a right to live them however they choose. You're never gonna get a mod who is available 24/7. The solution is to have more mods. As of right now, there are only 3 real mods on this site, and they all live in vastly different timezones. Oftentimes, while one is at school/work, another is in bed, or two of them are. It's hard for there to be at least one online at all times. A community this size needs at least 5, maybe 4, but 5 is a safe low point. We can't expect such a small team to be here 24/7, that's ridiculous. I think, with one or two more mods, a lot of problems could be solved. Keep the ones we have, because they do their jobs well, and add 1 or 2 more to help.

Just my two cents. I don't know the details of what happened earlier, but I'm speaking more in general terms.

The problem with the mods isn't that they aren't doing their jobs; they are, and they're doing a great job. The problem is that there isn't much for them to do nowadays, which people interpret as them being lazy and not doing what they're supposed to. I haven't seen a member break any really serious rules in a long time, or really seen much happen that requires moderator attention. The main problem is that, when a problem does occur, it just so happens to occur during a time when no mods are around to solve it. That's not the fault of the mods, they have lives and a right to live them however they choose. You're never gonna get a mod who is available 24/7. The solution is to have more mods. As of right now, there are only 3 real mods on this site, and they all live in vastly different timezones. Oftentimes, while one is at school/work, another is in bed, or two of them are. It's hard for there to be at least one online at all times. A community this size needs at least 5, maybe 4, but 5 is a safe low point. We can't expect such a small team to be here 24/7, that's ridiculous. I think, with one or two more mods, a lot of problems could be solved. Keep the ones we have, because they do their jobs well, and add 1 or 2 more to help.

Just my two cents. I don't know the details of what happened earlier, but I'm speaking more in general terms.
Perhaps we should get at least one mod for each timezone? I would be quite active. Just saying...
Would you rather we return to the days of infracting for posting in the wrong section or bumping an old thread regardless of value of the reply?
No we should just infract for swearing and stuff like that

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Perhaps we should get at least one mod for each timezone? I would be quite active. Just saying...
24 mods is way too much, maybe one for every continent or something (i.e. one or 2 for the Americas, 2 for Europe, one in Asia/Australia, etc). Also asking to be a mod is the best way to ensure you never become one.

Piss off.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
People that ask to be mods just because they want to be mods are the last people we should have as mods. Just saying. Also no, that's way too many mods. Just a good group of mods who are reasonably active.

No. Nowhere on the internet will you avoid seeing some foul language here and there. The swearing here is minimal and rarely if ever causes problems. There's an optional swear filter. Don't like swearing? Then make sure it's turned on.

People that ask to be mods just because they want to be mods are the last people we should have as mods. Just saying. Also no, that's way too many mods. Just a good group of mods who are reasonably active.

No. Nowhere on the internet will you avoid seeing some foul language here and there. The swearing here is minimal and rarely if ever causes problems. There's an optional swear filter. Don't like swearing? Then make sure it's turned on.
1.I can name five forums, two websites, and three youtube channels with no seearing.

2. It is not minimal. I see it everytime I turn around. And asterikized swear words are still swear words.

3. Where is such a filter and can we adjust it so it turns swear words into acceptable euphemisms?

Pen

The game is on!
I just wanna get rid of the PM character limit.

Seriously, what even is the reason for not being able to write longer messages there? It makes no sense to restrict it.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
1.I can name five forums, two websites, and three youtube channels with no seearing.

2. It is not minimal. I see it everytime I turn around. And asterikized swear words are still swear words.

3. Where is such a filter and can we adjust it so it turns swear words into acceptable euphemisms?
1. Good for you. You found the exceptions to the rule.

2. Tough ****.

3. Download a Chrome Extension or something if that's such a big deal to you.

What's wrong with swearing? I can't believe someone here is actually offended by that. Like, if someone is being directly insulted by a slur, I'd get that, and some words, like racial slurs, are obviously not okay, but it won't kill you to hear me say "**** this" every once in a while.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
Wowhoho, well met heroes, a lot of discussion was had, but I’d like to reiterate my earlier input.

The primary claim seems to be our current moderator team is negligent (or negligent in specific areas dealing with sexual jokes toward or around minors). I believe constantly deleting bots says otherwise, but if meaning negligent in specific areas I am unaware of something I see they’ve failed to take proper care of — some may claim bias — despite when was inconvenient I have historically disagreed with large majorities of forum staff — I do not believe I’m alone in saying I really like our current forum staff’s administration.

DARK MASTER said:
negligent in specific areas dealing with sexual jokes toward or around minors

Addressing this directly, could we first please throw out the Slippery Slope fallacious argument that on ZeldaDungeon bloody jokes sexual or otherwise could lead to a pedophiliac relationship(s)? I think most of us are ****ing smart enough to realize there are so many variables between joke and adult relationship with damn child.

It is down to personal responsibility whether you decide to use these forums and for the parents of any minors to allow their children on these forums and expose them to the content here.
^This should be credited as an excellent point by @Deus.

It is predominantly not a kid’s board — children exist here, but our demographic is roughly between eighteen and fifty. While some may dislike this humor the majority does not — besides it isn't to the point of hurting ZD's professionalism driving away new members — we’ll try not to emotionally abuse people (or hurt the community otherwise), but we the community almost unanimously want leeway.

DARK MASTER said:
While some may dislike this humor

Finally, I must express how I dislike social conservatism making our views on anything related to sex so narrow-minded. Social conservatism has different schools of thought, but generally boils down to the idea that we've done things in society — our tradition, and however illogical holding to tradition is, we should continue so that we don’t upset social stability — I think that is dumb because it hinders social progress — like “gross” gay marriage.

Anyhow, this was a bit long, but thanks community for reading my thoughts.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I think the rules are fine. It covers everything it should, not that anyone listens to them though.

Unfortunately as the recent incident showed it doesn't. The Rules act more as a guideline nowadays and hell not even a very good one as half of the members don't know the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom