• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twillight Realm/Fused Shadow & Majora's Mask?

J

Joey Kazooie

The strangest link I've ever seen in the Zelda games is the link between Midna's mask and Majora's Mask. You'll probably know they look awfully familiar.

MajoraMidna.jpg

Majora_shadow.JPG

Now why would that mask with the ancient power show such a great resemblance with Majora's Mask?

This is a theory from zeldawiki.org

"One thing questioned about Midna's appearance in her primary form is the fragment of the Fused Shadows on her head, which features an eye closely resembling the eyes on Majora's Mask, insinuating that the Fused Shadows and maybe even the Twili had something to do with the monster Majora that was destroyed. This could also mean that Midna's transformed figure (with the aid of the Fused Shadows) could be that of the Majora beast."

And here it is again in the article of Majora's Mask:

"Majora (ムジュラ, Mujura) was an evil being plaguing Termina in ancient times. Though the game doesn't give much specific history on the origins of Majora's Mask, it does state that in ancient times, the mask was worshiped by an ancient tribe who used it in rituals involving the casting of hexes and curses, until they finally sealed it away from the world in the hopes that its evil power would not be unleashed ever again[1]. Hundreds of years later is was sought out and found by the Happy Mask Salesman. Soon afterwards, the Skull Kid scared the Salesman unconscious and stole the mask from the salesman and began to access its power, awakening the consciousness of the mask.

It has also been suggested by some that the "ancient and evil" tribe is perhaps referring to the ancestors of the Twili, a race whose existence was revealed in Twilight Princess, due to similarities between an ancient object created by the Twili dubbed the Fused Shadow and Majora's Mask, as they share similar powers and they have a similar design. Also, Zant's fighting style in the eighth dungeon of Twilight Princess is similar to that of Majora's Mask, in fluidity, style, and spontaneity."

And this is a direct quote from the Happy Mask Salesman in Majora's mask:

“The mask that was stolen from me… It is called Majora’s Mask.
It is an accursed item from legend that is said to have been used by an ancient tribe in its hexing rituals. It is said that an evil and wicked power is bestowed upon the one who wears that mask.”

“According to legend…the troubles caused by Majora’s Mask were so great…the ancient ones, fearing such catastrophe, sealed the mask in shadow forever, preventing its misuse. But now, that tribe from the legend has vanished, so no one really knows the true nature of the mask’s power…
…But I feel it.”

“I went to great lengths to get that legendary mask. When I finally had it… I could sense the doom of a dark omen brewing. It was that unwelcome feeling that makes your hair stand on end.
And now… that imp has it…”

So now I showed you the facts, let me tell you what I think. The ancient tribe which used the mask are indeed the Twili. When Midna used the Fused Shadows in Twillight Princess, she turned into the beast majora. Majora couldn't fully control Midna, because Midna was one of the Twili, creators of the mask, and capable of locking that Majora into shadow again. Since Majora' was plaguing Termina in ancient times this means:

The Twillight Realm in Twillight Princess is the future Termina of Majora's Mask.

Zeldawiki article on the Twillight Realm:

"The Twilight Realm exists as a separate dimension from Hyrule. While the normal Hyrule resides in the World of Light, the Twilight Realm exists in perpetual Twilight, which is the absence of light. Not light in the normal logical sense, but in the spiritual sense. It is a realm in which there is no light, but Twilight. The Twilight Realm is a gloomy, hazy, yet very serene world. It is often called the World of Shadows, but that makes it seem unpleasant. There is a serene beauty to the Twilight Realm, a beauty which the Hylians have seen every time the sun sets, during Twilight hour.

After the Usurper King Zant took over, the Twilight Realm underwent a malevolent change. The skies darker, the mood more ominous, it's people changed into Shadow Beasts."

Termina was just like the twillight realm a seperate dimension from Hyrule. They don't look very much alike, but since the changing over the years and everything turning darker after Zant took over, it could be possible.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Leix

Error
Im all for the theory, but the only thing that bothers me is that everything that's NOT the eye dosen't really match up. Midna has square spirals, Majora has spikes. Midna' gray and black with light blue, Majora's Mask/Wrath/Incarnation is Green, Red, Yellow, and dark blue.
Sorry for my inconsistency with capitalization that I don't care to fix.

J

Joey Kazooie

Im all for the theory, but the only thing that bothers me is that everything that's NOT the eye dosen't really match up. Midna has square spirals, Majora has spikes. Midna' gray and black with light blue, Majora's Mask/Wrath/Incarnation is Green, Red, Yellow, and dark blue.
Sorry for my inconsistency with capitalization that I don't care to fix.

I'm not saying Midna looks alot like Majora's mask or Wrath, but that Midna's Mask (a.k.a. the fused shadows) look alot like Majora's Mask (the mask, not the evil spirit)

Leix

Error
I'm not saying Midna looks alot like Majora's mask or Wrath, but that Midna's Mask (a.k.a. the fused shadows) look alot like Majora's Mask (the mask, not the evil spirit)
And i'm not saying that Midna looks like Majoras mask, i'm saying that the fused shadows' only connection is the eye. The colors(not much to argue, the fused shadows seem to be stonelike), and the rest of the design don't match up too well. The fused shadows look more..eh...Greek with the straight, squarelike designs on it. Majora's mask is far smoother, with all of it's lines curved(with the exception of the spikes).

J

Joey Kazooie

And i'm not saying that Midna looks like Majoras mask, i'm saying that the fused shadows' only connection is the eye. The colors(not much to argue, the fused shadows seem to be stonelike), and the rest of the design don't match up too well. The fused shadows look more..eh...Greek with the straight, squarelike designs on it. Majora's mask is far smoother, with all of it's lines curved(with the exception of the spikes).

Nintendo just changed it's look a little, just like the rest of Hyrule. For example. The skull kid in TP's lost woods doesn't look anuthing like the skull kids in OOT.

Leix

Error
Nintendo just changed it's look a little, just like the rest of Hyrule. For example. The skull kid in TP's lost woods doesn't look anuthing like the skull kids in OOT.

True, but that's an evolutionized person compared to something that's been sealed off for ages. They wouldn't change it THAT dramatically, would they? More in depth, the twili are represented as DARKNESS and SHADOWS, whereas Majora's mask is EVIL, yet far more colorful than anything in the twili world.

On a side note, i'm glad they changed the skull kid, his beak kinda bothered me.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
i don 't know, it is a cool theory but there are 2 many loose ends for me.

mask salesman said that the mask belonged to a ancient tribe for hexing rituals, and "after the tribe was no more, he was looking for that mask". <--- you really forget this part here
so he is claming that that ancient tribe is no more. now i don 't know what kind of tribe it was, but i don 't think he is talking about the twili.
so it doesn 't mean that the mask salesman had found that mask in termina.

i also don 't think the twilight realm is the future termina.
twlight realm was meant to banish criminals (or something like that) "thats why the gerudo is twili theory" while termina was created by the giants. and if you think about the location.
termina ás portal was somewhere in lost woods and not in the desert.

anyway, about the design, you really must not judge with looks in zelda games.
i mean bellum, vaati, majora 's mask, they also resemble a lot, but doesn 't mean that they are related.

Well, maybe the ancient tribe weren't Twili to start out with, but were banished because they created and use Majora's mask. Then when they were banished, maybe they changed according to their environment. Also, either the masks powers changed it, the environment changed it, or Onilink is right and looks can vary greatly between games. I wholeheartedly support the theory, just because a bunch of things make sense, and it's very interesting.

J

Joey Kazooie

i don 't know, it is a cool theory but there are 2 many loose ends for me.

mask salesman said that the mask belonged to a ancient tribe for hexing rituals, and "after the tribe was no more, he was looking for that mask". <--- you really forget this part here
so he is claming that that ancient tribe is no more. now i don 't know what kind of tribe it was, but i don 't think he is talking about the twili.
so it doesn 't mean that the mask salesman had found that mask in termina.

i also don 't think the twilight realm is the future termina.
twlight realm was meant to banish criminals (or something like that) "thats why the gerudo is twili theory" while termina was created by the giants. and if you think about the location.
termina ás portal was somewhere in lost woods and not in the desert.

anyway, about the design, you really must not judge with looks in zelda games.
i mean bellum, vaati, majora 's mask, they also resemble a lot, but doesn 't mean that they are related.

Since when do Vaati, Bellum and Majora's Mask look alike?

I think Bellum looks like that nightmare from Link's Awakening, but that's about it.

True, but that's an evolutionized person compared to something that's been sealed off for ages. They wouldn't change it THAT dramatically, would they? More in depth, the twili are represented as DARKNESS and SHADOWS, whereas Majora's mask is EVIL, yet far more colorful than anything in the twili world.

On a side note, i'm glad they changed the skull kid, his beak kinda bothered me.

Actually i think they would change the looks of it. I mean, they don't want the connection to be completly obvious. If it looked too much alike, then People would think it's the samething, from the same time... if you know what i mean...

Leix

Error
But if it IS, then why conceal it? Why make it obscure to the average person? Why make it argumentable if it's the truth?
Why am I even arguing against the theory if i support it?

But if it IS, then why conceal it? Why make it obscure to the average person? Why make it argumentable if it's the truth?
Why am I even arguing against the theory if i support it?

Well, maybe the Twili's powers are what changed the mask. Maybe it changed to suit the Twili's appearance when the first one wore it. About your last question, well I have no clue :).

J

Joey Kazooie

Actually i think they would change the looks of it. I mean, they don't want the connection to be completly obvious. If it looked too much alike, then People would think it's the samething, from the same time... if you know what i mean...

You know what's funny. The face of Skull Kid in TP looks very much like the moon in MM. So even there is a connection.

SkullKid.png

MoonMM.jpg

Twili123prince

"ZINGA-DINGDING"
wow thats just odd maybe Majora is a fused shadow? because fused shadows are hexing objects just like Majora mask wow Ive never noticed that before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom