• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Forum Change Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I think vBulletin was the gold standard during v3. Unfortunately, once we upgraded to v4, the program just went down hill. In hindsight, we should have just stuck with v3 as it was still getting security updates. vBulletin was very bloated and was causing server strain. In particular some of the plugins.

I think Jamie's recollection was fairly accurate. I think I just asked the team if we should upgrade to v5, as that had just come out. Alternatively, we were looking at Xenforo. Xenforo was an offshoot of the old vBulletin, so I naturally was attracted to it. It was in developmental hell for years because they were knee deep in a lawsuit with vBulletin. I actually like Xenforo and I think it has run fairly smoothly. I think it has come a long way in the last couple years.

Really - back during the end of 2014, I don't even remember if we were considering IP Board. Djinn probably remembers better than I do, as I know he was looking into the various software trying to see if all the plugins we wanted were there.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I think vBulletin was the gold standard during v3. Unfortunately, once we upgraded to v4, the program just went down hill. In hindsight, we should have just stuck with v3 as it was still getting security updates. vBulletin was very bloated and was causing server strain. In particular some of the plugins.

I think Jamie's recollection was fairly accurate. I think I just asked the team if we should upgrade to v5, as that had just come out. Alternatively, we were looking at Xenforo. Xenforo was an offshoot of the old vBulletin, so I naturally was attracted to it. It was in developmental hell for years because they were knee deep in a lawsuit with vBulletin. I actually like Xenforo and I think it has run fairly smoothly. I think it has come a long way in the last couple years.

Really - back during the end of 2014, I don't even remember if we were considering IP Board. Djinn probably remembers better than I do, as I know he was looking into the various software trying to see if all the plugins we wanted were there.
I sure looks like it happened that way. Thanks for telling us what you remember. I'm sure the misunderstanding was simply someone's joke taken too seriously. Personally the best thing I think we got about it is how everything loaded so much better. Wiki of course, but also the forums, walkthroughs, and main site. Walkthroughs it helps hugely. One would think that the most common situation where an average visitor would look up a walkthrough is on some kind of mobile device while they're playing a game. Which means time is critical for them. Slow loading will be frustrating to them because they want to get back to their game. I understand there were other reasons, but that was what was most valuable. And it's something we always have to keep in mind for the future. No matter what we decide, we have to ensure that everything loads smoothly.

May not have realized it but you just touched on a core problem. Hypocrisy. Throughout this entire thread there have been several instances of people feeling that they had the right to correct my version of history without being subject to the same themselves. By all means if someone doesn't agree with way things happened, they ought to have the ability to say so. However to jump down someone's throat the second that process is sent in the other direction is incredibly hypocritical.

I think the problem with all of this is that it seems everyone (in this thread at least) is correcting your version of history. The thing is, anyone can misremember. Anyone can trick themselves into believing an absolute. I am sure a 3 comment thread and some talk in a chat area was hardly even a factor in as big of a decision as it is to switch forum packages. I wasn't even here, but I can tell you if a swear filter was the primary reason for switching, that in that of itself is a silly reason to make such a huge switch. Most people involved seem to agree on this.

I wasn't here. I just want you to sort of see how it's coming off. You're taking on a "you vs everyone else" mentality atm, and that isn't going to get you anywhere. If everyone disagrees with what that history is, you have to be willing to accept that may your misremembering or, more than likely, was never really in the loop on why the switch was made in the first place. Right or wrong as that may have been at the time, that more than likely seems like the case, meaning you wouldn't honestly know the full story. I think in all of this we need to all step back a bit. The past is in the past. Does it really matter anymore?

All the worst moments in our history come from people believing the same rules that apply to everyone else don't apply to them. That one someone does something unpleasant to them it's a serious offense, but when they do to the other person instead of the other way around, it's not only no big deal, but necessary. It is more than a little unfair to attack me for doing the exact same thing so many of you are doing right now.

To be fair, I didn't really see anyone attack you. They disagreed with your version of the history and clearly laid out what they believed happen. That version was then confirmed by 2 or 3 other people directly involved. You also admit that people were left in the dark. Indeed, that is an issue, but perhaps did you consider you were one of those people left in the dark? Because if so, how would you know why the switch was made? The only comment I see that might be construed as an "attack" is when someone basically pleads with you to stop. Becuase they are tired of this going round and round as matt vs everyone else. Gotta learn sometimes to just let things go. This goes for everyone, not just Matt.

Far, FAR too often, people are just jumping to the conclusion that someone is being hostile and, and maliciously lying, if the way they remember things is not the same. We're forgetting that we're all human beings with our own minds and our own priorities. And what was deeply important to someone else could have just been a regular day and an entirely forgettable event for another.

Yes, you mentioned this before. I understand this mindset. But we're just talking about facts verse perception I feel. You perceived they were changed primarily for a swear filter. Several are saying that wasn't true. Most are saying it wasn't even part of the conversation. So you perceived it was, but reality appears to be it wasn't. I don't think they felt you were acting hostile. That is, until you accused them of it. :/

And as for what the rest of you are saying, you're forgetting one key detail. Then just as much now the people outside the staff were deliberately kept out of the loop. Not told what is going on and sometimes even fed outright disinformation. I can assure you with absolute certainty that in the shoutbox, we were very, very explicitly told by the admins at the time that the censor was the reason. Instead of assuming I'm being hostile and evil and mwhaha, you didn't stop to consider the more mundane and obvious answer. That the original statement was sarcasm, thus easily forgotten as jokes were all over the place then, and because the rest of us were deliberately left out the loop, there was nothing else to go on.

Possible. There is also a case where, for better or worse, sometimes the public messaging is different than the real reasons because you don't want to expose someone in particular or that you have a security risk until after the fact. So they may say it's because of X, because they can't really reveal Y yet. It's not meant to harm anyone, just to protect people and because you know, when a switch is happening you have to say something about why. Otherwise you end up with angry people. Not saying this is wholly right, but I can see where it might be needed. It may not have even happened at all. All I do know is, you are the only one saying this was a reason and the only one pushing it and no one is corroberating your version. When the facts work against you this strongly and you have no new evidence or support to bring the table, you have to back down. I do this in debates and articles I wrte too. If someone comes at me evidence - if I have no new angle, no new evidence or support, I have to back down because at the end of the day, it's hard to argue against facts that have multiple people confirming them.

All this fuss over something that, at least in 2016, is trivial at best. You switched, ti worked out well for the whole, so at the end who cares what the reasons were?

I think in the end, the best is to really let the past be the past. This is 2016, not 2013, 2014, or 2015. We're here to talk about a merger and concerns with that merger. I understand concerns over communication in the past and I can assure you that at least at ZI, that wouldn't be the case. But, beyond that, I think this conversation needs to move back to the original topic it was about in the first place.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I think the problem with all of this is that it seems everyone (in this thread at least) is correcting your version of history. The thing is, anyone can misremember. Anyone can trick themselves into believing an absolute. I am sure a 3 comment thread and some talk in a chat area was hardly even a factor in as big of a decision as it is to switch forum packages. I wasn't even here, but I can tell you if a swear filter was the primary reason for switching, that in that of itself is a silly reason to make such a huge switch. Most people involved seem to agree on this.

I wasn't here. I just want you to sort of see how it's coming off. You're taking on a "you vs everyone else" mentality atm, and that isn't going to get you anywhere. If everyone disagrees with what that history is, you have to be willing to accept that may your misremembering or, more than likely, was never really in the loop on why the switch was made in the first place. Right or wrong as that may have been at the time, that more than likely seems like the case, meaning you wouldn't honestly know the full story. I think in all of this we need to all step back a bit. The past is in the past. Does it really matter anymore?

To be fair, I didn't really see anyone attack you. They disagreed with your version of the history and clearly laid out what they believed happen. That version was then confirmed by 2 or 3 other people directly involved. You also admit that people were left in the dark. Indeed, that is an issue, but perhaps did you consider you were one of those people left in the dark? Because if so, how would you know why the switch was made? The only comment I see that might be construed as an "attack" is when someone basically pleads with you to stop. Becuase they are tired of this going round and round as matt vs everyone else. Gotta learn sometimes to just let things go. This goes for everyone, not just Matt.

Yes, you mentioned this before. I understand this mindset. But we're just talking about facts verse perception I feel. You perceived they were changed primarily for a swear filter. Several are saying that wasn't true. Most are saying it wasn't even part of the conversation. So you perceived it was, but reality appears to be it wasn't. I don't think they felt you were acting hostile. That is, until you accused them of it. :/

Possible. There is also a case where, for better or worse, sometimes the public messaging is different than the real reasons because you don't want to expose someone in particular or that you have a security risk until after the fact. So they may say it's because of X, because they can't really reveal Y yet. It's not meant to harm anyone, just to protect people and because you know, when a switch is happening you have to say something about why. Otherwise you end up with angry people. Not saying this is wholly right, but I can see where it might be needed. It may not have even happened at all. All I do know is, you are the only one saying this was a reason and the only one pushing it and no one is corroberating your version. When the facts work against you this strongly and you have no new evidence or support to bring the table, you have to back down. I do this in debates and articles I wrte too. If someone comes at me evidence - if I have no new angle, no new evidence or support, I have to back down because at the end of the day, it's hard to argue against facts that have multiple people confirming them.

All this fuss over something that, at least in 2016, is trivial at best. You switched, ti worked out well for the whole, so at the end who cares what the reasons were?

I think in the end, the best is to really let the past be the past. This is 2016, not 2013, 2014, or 2015. We're here to talk about a merger and concerns with that merger. I understand concerns over communication in the past and I can assure you that at least at ZI, that wouldn't be the case. But, beyond that, I think this conversation needs to move back to the original topic it was about in the first place.
Hmm... what you said about a security risk reminded me of something very important that didn't get answered because of all the other stuff going on. I know someone here mentioned it before, but it didn't seem to be answered. We have extremely private and personal information in the Life Advice section of our forum. We have safeguards in place to make sure it's reasonably private. If we end up being merged to ZI, will steps be taken to ensure that remains the case? In some cases it's personal troubles that someone may not want their families to know like struggling with trouble parents or questions of sexuality. So to counter that, we have the section set to members only. I'm extremely concerned about it remaining that way. I'm sure it's possible, but I just wanted to make sure that it's been made fully clear. I might even make the argument that mature discussion should be that way too because sometimes intolerant family members who manage to find it online can give hard times about political opinions and other beliefs that they don't approve of. I've had it happen to me before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom